Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When are kids old enough to play outside alone?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This thread explains an awful lot about the young folk of today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Egginacup wrote: »
    As for the bog.....take him down there and let him get stuck and then rescue him from the mire, thus demonstrating "bogs are dodgy, steer clear!" :p

It'd be keen on taking a similar approach to a fare few things with my young fella. They'd learn more about caution from distress. Warning'em in advance means little.

Sure I learned how to use the brakes on my bike after cycling straight into a thorn bush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RonanP77 wrote: »
    a hedge the whole way around the outside
    A hedge ain't "secure".

/edit is the chain-link fence behind it all the way around?
    Tall for their age, fairly hardy and loves being outdoors.
    So should see the hedge as a challenge.

Add more kids, and you get the mischief of "what's beyond the hedge" :pac: but by themselves, most kids don't wander.
    Eh, When did it become OK to leave children unsupervised at any age ? especially below 6.
    What age did you think? 18?
    Nah your mistaking me with the wrong kind of outrage, I'm sick of 2 yearolds running around on the roads, Around housing estates as if they own the place. And the smug parents saying it's their right to do so as roads are playgrounds.
    I'm mistaking you for one of these people that read the entire thread, and not just the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its difficult for a child to learn to rules of the jungle on a manufactured "play date"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

the_syco wrote:
    /edit is the chain-link fence behind it all the way around?

the_syco wrote:
    A hedge ain't "secure".

Yeah, the chain link is the whole way around, there's no way of getting through and as for going over, the hedge will grow by a few inches a year and the bushes in it are too weak to climb. The chain link has a barbed wire at ground level so no going under either.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

It'd be keen on taking a similar approach to a fare few things with my young fella. They'd learn more about caution from distress. Warning'em in advance means little.

Sure I learned how to use the brakes on my bike after cycling straight into a thorn bush!

Kids who've never been allowed to climb trees, walls etc., are much more likely to develop vertigo at a later stage.

Exposure to all these minor dangers cultivates excellent risk assessment skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

What do you mean by "outside"?
    If you mean in your own garden then as soon as they are able to eat mud.
    If "outside" means in the street then age 7 and up, or younger if there are older children with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I fear we are raring a nation of wusses as parents fear that children cannot play in their own gardens, or there are paedoes lurking on every corner.

Of course a child needs protection but they also need to be prepared for the world.

diomed wrote:
    What do you mean by "outside"? If you mean in your own garden then as soon as they are able to eat mud. If "outside" means in the street then age 7 and up, or younger if there are older children with them.

Big garden, big hedge, big fence, no street, gate closed so can't get on the road.
    syklops wrote:
    This thread explains an awful lot about the young folk of today.

In what way? Who do you think is wrong?

The townies saying to let them run around the estate with 20 other kids?

The culchies saying let them out in the garden to get bitten, scratched, stung etc.?

The people saying to keep them locked up and protected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The people saying to keep them locked up and protected?

The people saying 8 or 9 is about right to leave them outside alone. Or the people saying "until they learn street wisdom via osmosis".

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

My child is almost 5 but I don't leave her out alone. We live in the country but the garden isn't secure and we keep horses so it would be really unsafe to leave her out and about unsupervised.
    I grew up in the middle of nowhere and spent my whole childhood outdoors with all my sisters exploring and getting up to mischief, it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

When I was three I was allowed to drive my tractor up and down the front driveway of where we lived (St Donagh's Rd, Donaghmede.. very posh area of Dublin for those not au fait with Dublin) as where my neighbour's kids my age. The gate was locked and I would regularly stand at the gate saying hello to strangers until the acknowledged my existence. I can remember running inside chuffed when someone did say hello to me. Not that I think of it, life has changed all that much for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Paulzx wrote:
    OP, you need one of these

Paulzx wrote:
    Works great on small kids

The link doesn't work for me.

Advertisement