Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship for kiddies sports events/walks/runs etc etc

Options
  • 22-03-2015 2:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

I was asked to cough up to sponsor someone's walk. But it was someone else collecting on the behalf of their friend and throwing a sponsorship card in my face. Told them I didn't have anything on me.

I'm going to have to see them again next week. How do I get out from coughing up money for their friend who I don't know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was asked to cough up to sponsor someone's walk. But it was someone else collecting on the behalf of their friend and throwing a sponsorship card in my face. Told them I didn't have anything on me.

I'm going to have to see them again next week. How do I get out from coughing up money for their friend who I don't know.

Say 'no'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

OP's one of those people that can't say no - let's all take advantage of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're not saying yes or no to them but to the charity the walk is in aid of. Does it matter who is collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You're not saying yes or no to them but to the charity the walk is in aid of. Does it matter who is collecting?
    The op never mentioned if it was a charity. Often the "charity" is getting little johnnie a new football kit or bringing them on a trip abroad.

And it does matter to some people who is collecting, people might have a set amount of money that they want to give to charity per year, and so would sooner give to people they are closer to who are looking for sponsorship, rather than a stranger. Like people might give to a close friend doing "movember" rather than one of the numerous people in work who might have emailed asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

rubadub wrote: »
    The op never mentioned if it was a charity. Often the "charity" is getting little johnnie a new football kit or bringing them on a trip abroad.

And it does matter to some people who is collecting, people might have a set amount of money that they want to give to charity per year, and so would sooner give to people they are closer to who are looking for sponsorship, rather than a stranger. Like people might give to a close friend doing "movember" rather than one of the numerous people in work who might have emailed asking.

Plus, not all charities are created equal. I wouldn't give some the steam off my piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Give them a cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rubadub wrote: »

OK, replace charity with cause.
    qt3.14 wrote: »
    Plus, not all charities are created equal. I wouldn't give some the steam off my piss.

If its for something you wouldn't contribute towards it's immaterial who is asking. Just explain that you don't support whatever "cause" is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We only tend to sponsor the kids we know. Anyone else.....

"Sorry we already sponsored Jimmy and Judy" - or just make up some names they wont have heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We stopped this years ago. It's really annoying to have a work colleague approach you to sponsor their kid and usually they're looking for a fiver minimum. The local primary schools were always sending kids door to door with sponsorship cards as well, in the end we just didn't answer the door. Just say no OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It's nonsense.

Surely they can manage to fund a ball between ~30 of them and find an unused space of land somewhere without resorting to begging for spare change?

If they want to walk or run - well - there are plenty of public spaces where they can walk or run. If they need coaches or referees, I'm sure one of their parents can do the job just fine.

As a child, our sports clubs did the same crap and it was nonsense back then too. Us children didn't want to do it and didn't care - we'd have been just as happy with a ball in a field. The matching uniforms was more for the parents than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Xbox and playstations don't come cheap these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've had various snot nosed urchins to the door looking for cash

"Here mistor, giz money for de football club *snigger*"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

"Ah the very man, can you sponsor my nephew/niece/whatever for their sponsored walk, it's €20 but for a worthwhile cause".

They won't be long shutting up about sponsorship money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fake your own death.

It's the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Sounds like little Johnny needs a good crack on the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is that a Michael Jackson lyric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

How do you judge a crack though.

I've a decent enough crack I'd say. What use would Johnny get out of his if it's 'good' as opposed to just an 'average' crack?

Is defecation easier or more stylish perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Is it a cause you want to support? Then do so.

If it's not then there's your answer for them. Easy.

Nothing really to do with who's collecting, but what cause it's for - after all, you're making a donation to it, not the person collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is that a Michael Jackson lyric?

That was post of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

That's why you should register yourself as a charity and never leave home without a sponsorship card. You take it out when they come looking for money and get them to sponsor you the same amount.

All donations go to my emergency relief fund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement