Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The old Savoy cinema was class

• 19-03-2015 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Felt compelled to share these pictures, they are of the Savoy cinema on O' Connell St before they decided to make the cinema decidedly more bland. Has anyone here ever been to the Savoy when it was like this?

Untitled_1.jpg
    image hosting 12mb

Untitled_2.jpg
    img host

Untitled_3.jpg
    hosting image

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

What O' Connell street would that be?

Chucken wrote: »

The one with the Savoy cinema on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The one that's in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

I remember the Foyer like the first image from back in the 70s/80s.

If you consider the seating capacity was larger than the Grand Canal (with a smaller screen width than their stage), there's no way it would be sustainable, they had to break it up. Considering I've been in there (not recently) within a week of a movie opening & in screen one & it's less than a third full, I think we're lucky they've not broken it up further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Does the other O'Connell Street have a cinema called The Savoy on it?

• Advertisement

The one with a capital 'S'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Eutow wrote: »
    Does the other O'Connell Street have a cinema called The Savoy on it?

There's multiple other O'Connell Streets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

jungleman wrote: »
    Felt compelled to share these pictures, they are of the Savoy cinema on O' Connell St before they decided to make the cinema decidedly more bland. Has anyone here ever been to the Savoy when it was like this?

Untitled_1.jpg
    image hosting 12mb

Untitled_2.jpg
    img host

Untitled_3.jpg
    hosting image

Were you ever in the old Coliseum cinema in Carlow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Paul O'Connell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Great pics OP. Cheers for sharing.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »

Any pics? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

This is the old Metropole building, also O' Connell Street. Ya know, the one with the old Metropole on it.....

This was taken in 1923. It was knocked and replaced with that crappy Penneys. It's amazing the difference O' Connell St has been through. In it's hey-day it was opulent and had a bit of class about it. Now it's the go-to place for heroin.

Any pics? :)

Old coliseum

No, never was. Had a quick google of it there, it looks like it had a bit of charm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

There's multiple other O'Connell Streets?

It works like parallel dimensions with your fuel being booze.

There are many, many iterations of O'Connell Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

But The Savoy was on Eglinton Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Or The Ritz in Carlow?:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I've been in the basement and up through all of the Savoy as far as the roof. The back of house stairwells and staff changing rooms still give an old world feel to the place.

• Advertisement

Back to the Future. I saw that in the Col when it came out!

Lapin wrote: »

Wow. It's hard to believe that it's the same spot. The lack of city planning and political corruption down through the years has a lot to answer for.

What-were-they-thinking??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

There was a lot of needless destruction of old buildings which could easily have been repaired and maintained, but were instead bulldozed to be replaced by ugly buildings. Those links above just prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

My old home town cinema was built in that kind of style. I always remember seeing Tim Burton's 'Batman' in there and thinking the interior looked exactly like something out of the film itself. It closed in the late 90's then some celtic tiger wankbag property developer was allowed to gut the entire place and turn it into some generic, franchised, shiny outlet $hopping $hithole which is now boarded up.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I was all ready to open this thread and be confronted with pics of the Savoy cinema way back in 1991 or something. That's usually how these threads go, but no, proper classic pics.

Was in the Savoy last week, thought I was hallucinating when half way up the stairs I seen a door leading to a screen where there has always been a wall. Couldn't be I though as surely that's the Gresham in there, but nope a new screen in surely was, Screen 7. Must be fecking tiny.

Love the Savoy. Seen Superman in there when I was 5. Class thread, OP, cheers for posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

As far as I know the 'Regal Room's site became The Screen cinema. The Theatre Royal became something even worse than The Screen; Hawkin's House

J9wQDgx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

still the best cinema in Dublin IMO

I always try to see the blockbusters on screen 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It would be nice if we could shoot architects and city planners

Bambi wrote: »

Be even nicer if we could hold them to some sort of account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Another "it's a Dublin thing thread" us outside the pale are clueless and are bewildered by such technology that can perform an act that can animate pictures in a chronological order to appear as though we are seeing something really moving before our eyes.

Agreed. This monstrosity is quite possibly the worst offender of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Some of the buildings that were erected in this country in the second half of the twentieth century are absolute monstrosities. Grim, concrete boxes that would put you in mind of cold war eastern europe.

Mind you, some of the generic, pre-fab shi te that was thrown up during the tiger years isn't much better - and will probably age just as badly.

The reason these old buildings and interiors look so well is because at the time the architects building these sctructures were using actual craftsmen, stonemasons, stonecutters, carpenters etc, employing them to do the required building and craft work, all under the watch of an actual clerk of works. Nowadays its just a bunch of cranedrivers and fitters literally stitching together bits of steel, concrete and glass.

• Advertisement

its bad

but the department of health and children is a building that makes people sick just by looking at it

it really is amazing

buried wrote: »
    The reason these old buildings and interiors look so well is because at the time the architects building these sctructures were using actual craftsmen, stonemasons, stonecutters, carpenters etc, employing them to do the required building and craft work, all under the watch of an actual clerk of works. Nowadays its just a bunch of cranedrivers and fitters literally stitching together bits of steel, concrete and glass.

its more than that

they got their proportions right which is something modern architects just don't care about, or understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Another "it's a Dublin thing thread" us outside the pale are clueless and are bewildered by such technology that can perform an act that can animate pictures in a chronological order to appear as though we are seeing something really moving before our eyes.

I thought it was a "look at this beautiful old building thread" no matter where in the country it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Anyone have any pics to the interior of the Savoy cinema today?

Or is it just your generic Dundrum-esque cinema?

One more question, does anyone know why cinemas and theatres were sometimes called 'the Savoy'?

Savoy was a statelet of the old Roman Empire, I know, but what's the relevance, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

that street with that thing the gpo on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is the old Metropole building, also O' Connell Street. Ya know, the one with the old Metropole on it.....

This was taken in 1923. It was knocked and replaced with that crappy Penneys. It's amazing the difference O' Connell St has been through. In it's hey-day it was opulent and had a bit of class about it. Now it's the go-to place for heroin.

Would it have made a difference? Did the old buildings have heroin repelling properties?

As an architect I avoid any threads about Dublins beautiful old buildings because reading them has me close to tears sometimes..Dublin was quite literally one of the most beautiful cities in the world for a time but the planners saw to that :( Its still a fine looking city, but what could have been...

Ah could be worse. At least its an interesting building. It has a lot of merit, mightn't be a stunner but it is definitely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Love the Savoy. Seen Superman in there when I was 5. Class thread, OP, cheers for posting.

Superman (the original 1978 movie) was only shown in the Adelphi in Dublin. Back then each cinema had exclusive agreements with distributors to screen specific films before they became what was called "Second run" whereby the print used in Dublin (or other large city), would be moved out to the country, this would be months later, sometimes the following year. Movies didn't play in each cinema like they do now.

Would it have made a difference? Did the old buildings have heroin repelling properties?

I don't believe they did, no. As far as I know, they didn't have heroin repellent buildings back then, although I could be wrong.

I was referring to the general affluence that imbued O' Connell St back in the early part of the 20th century. There were grand buildings - such as the Gresham (obviously still in use), the Rotunda Cinema (now the Ambassador), the Carlton cinema, the Metropole. O' Connell St used to be a landmark, a statement of grand Dublin.
    Whereas now it has experienced great decline, and grand buildings have been replaced with inferior retail spaces. Wealth has been replaced by open drug dealing. My point was in regards to the gradual decline of a once great piece of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Jungleman- I remember being in the Savoy quite a bit. My uncle worked for the corporation and they used to have kids Christmas parties in there. We used to get crisps and Club Orange and watch a movie. I remember as a young kid , using the bathrooms and remarking on how beautiful they were. Love the pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Jungleman- I remember being in the Savoy quite a bit. My uncle worked for the corporation and they used to have kids Christmas parties in there. We used to get crisps and Club Orange and watch a movie. I remember as a young kid , using the bathrooms and remarking on how beautiful they were. Love the pictures, thanks for sharing them.

I would have loved to have seen it in its old form.

What are you raving about?

I really like the Central Bank I think it's actually quite a spectacular structure and well ahead of its time.

The location is all wrong though. It would look great in the docklands and even enhance the place.

It also deserves to be double the height to do it justice.

The location is all wrong though.

Yeah, That's the problem I have with it also. Its stuck on that street down the road from the trinity college area and that classic old building that now houses the BOI across from it. It's built and overshadows the cobbled streets of old Temple bar, it just doesn't suit the area. A Total psychogeography disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Awful decisions by Dublin city planners over the years. The decision to plonk the new monstrosity that was ESB HQ in the middle of Fitzwilliam Street in Dublin in 1965 was arguably the worst of them all.

Fitzwilliam Street was the longest row of beautiful Georgian Houses in the world at the time. Absolutely criminal behaviour.

http://archiseek.com/2010/1965-esb-headquarters-fitzwilliam-street-dublin/

• Advertisement
Advertisement