Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rough Diamond

• 27-01-2007 5:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

What did anyone think of it?. I thought it had promise as a first episode. Its nice to have a drama as sorts with horses to center around the plot.

Its on RTE on a Friday at 7 pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭deisemum

I only managed to see the last 20 mins of it and liked what I saw. It's by the same people who made Ballykissangel. It's repeated this afternoon at around4.30/4.45pm'ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Cliched and cartoon caricatured with the usual set of Irish actors and storylines you can see a mile off.

But srangely compelling and comfortable viewing. It should be on at 6 or 8 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

I thought it was a big smelly pile of poo to be honest. Every fecking cliche in the book. The acting was awful.
    The thing is, the source material actually had potential. I'd love to see a more true to life drama about horseracing or some other equine sport. There are so many great rags to riches to rags stories in horse racing especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I found it charming. I enjoyed it in the same way I would enjoy a disney film for kids. "Magic Moments" every 2 seconds.

I love the way the bad guy is the rich guy with the nice suit and the SUV, and the good guy is the troubled working class hero.

Pathetic naive romanticism is still alive and kicking in Irish writing/drama circles, its gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

Shoite!

Cliched dross! Agree with the Disney comment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

No substance! vacuous picture postcard fluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It is a bit of fluff alright, but it`s harmless viewing. I`ll watch it to get my horsey fix. I wonder if they will ever show scenes of bad weather with it pissing down with miserable grooms with runny noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Conor Mullen has been in a lot of UK dramas, but over here he is just a voice over on RTE for many of the rubbishy ads and he is also that annoying voice on the I90I number for Eircom repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I thought it showed promise, although I'm not particularly into horses.

Have to say though that I thought the boy they chose for Jonah looks a bit weak.

I'd be interested to know what the main objections are from those who didn't like it - i.e. if it's cliched, in what way etc. I think most soaps/series like this are cliched in some way. Which cliches do you think are acceptable in this kind of series - if any - and which are not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I would rather listen to

"All our operators are unavailable. Eircom appreciates your call. Please hold while we try to connect you to the next available operator.

Don't stop me now........

Did you know that eircom now provides ..........

Don't stop me now.......

Thank you for your call, all our operators are still unavailable......"

For a full hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Does anyone knowif this is coming back on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

G Luxel wrote: »
    Conor Mullen has been in a lot of UK dramas, but over here he is just a voice over on RTE for many of the rubbishy ads and he is also that annoying voice on the I90I number for Eircom repairs.

actually the voice is that of mark little

i liked it , lovely to look at and easy comfotable viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

Conor Mullen definitely does the eircom voicemail etc.. voice. He even did it when he was a guest on Tubridy Tonight before.

Rough Diamond was a one series wonder I believe. It didn't do well in the UK so the BBC decided not to make a second series even though that's what was initially intended given the end of the first series...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CrunchMagg

Oooh no! Its the worst show ever I'm not usually into stuff like ballykissangel but i watched the thornberrys with my mom years ago ...sad I know... and I thought it wud be kinda similar u kno rustic and stuff but the acting is so bad! Sorry anyone if its your friends in it or anything and ur promoting it! I cant see any other reason why ud be raving about it no offense if u do love it by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    actually the voice is that of mark little

i liked it , lovely to look at and easy comfotable viewing

As a current affairs / news broadcaster Mark Little would never be allowed to do commercial endorsement of any product. He is not the Eircom voice, it is as mentioned earlier, Conor Mullen. The other people people mix up in that regard are Ken Hammond and Bosco Hogan, the later being the one who voices commercials.

Sorry for going off topic, just clarifying this inaccuracy.

As a current affairs / news broadcaster Mark Little would never be allowed to do commercial endorsement of any product. He is not the Eircom voice, it is as mentioned earlier, Conor Mullen. The other people people mix up in that regard are Ken Hammond and Bosco Hogan, the later being the one who voices commercials.

Conor Mullen voices some of the Eircom Ads. I think Ken Hammond wouldn't be able to endorse a commerical product either as he is also a CA/News broadcaster. I know Bosco Hogan does ads but I don't recognise his voice as the ones for Eircom Talktime etc.

OTT sorry.

Also while I don't think much of this show, RTE wouldn't be wrong to go for another season for Sundays at 7:30 to get some corrie soap watchers over to RTE ONE on a Sunday night.

30mins is plenty for this show not 60mins.

Sorry if I wasnt clear, I didnt mean Bosco Hogan did Eircom commercials, I was just reffering to people mixing him up with Ken Hammond on random ads.

With regards to Rough Diamond, RTE invested only a fraction of the overall production budget. It was produced through the BBC NI Drama unit, even though it was shot in the republic, much like Ballykisangel. They also produce Murphys Law which is shot in various Irish locations too. I think Rough Diamond would be a bit twee for RTE to have as a main drama production aimed at an Irish audience. They certainly wouldn't be putting it on at 7:30 on a Sunday given the price it would cost to produce, it'd be a Sunday 9:30 job. Can't see it coming back from the TV graveyard though.

With regards to Rough Diamond, RTE invested only a fraction of the overall production budget. It was produced through the BBC NI Drama unit, even though it was shot in the republic, much like Ballykisangel. They also produce Murphys Law which is shot in various Irish locations too. I think Rough Diamond would be a bit twee for RTE to have as a main drama production aimed at an Irish audience. They certainly wouldn't be putting it on at 7:30 on a Sunday given the price it would cost to produce, it'd be a Sunday 9:30 job. Can't see it coming back from the TV graveyard though.

They could take over the productions make it less twee but keep it light and family like, and have a good chance of taking the viewers who are left with out a soap on TV3 due to ITV moving Sunday nights episode of Corrie St to 8:30 on friday night. Just a suggestion.

Ballykisangle was not co-produced with RTE they happened to show it during the summer.

Murphy's Law is set in Britian, filmed in Ireland, just like the tudors and Rock Rivals.

Gonw way OT here !!!!! I guess I should check the clarity of my posts so they wont be misunderstood !
    I was reffering to shows that had a similar production model, i.e. Commissioned by BBC NI and shot in ROI. I didn't say Ballykissangel was co produced by RTE, I said it was a production of the BBC NI drama unit, like Rough Diamond (excepting the few quid RTE threw in to that show). The other recent show commissioned by BBC NI drama was the Fairytales series made by Hattrick productions. This was filmed in the north aswell.

Much like Dr Who and Life on Mars which were both commissioned and shot in Wales, these make the BBC spend money in "the regions".

The Tudors is a Canadian production that the BBC purchased for UK broadcast to the best of my knowledge.
    Rock Rivals is produced by Shed and Simon Cowells Syco in the UK for ITV. As you said Elmo both are shot here. Rock Rivals was edited here as well.

Advertisement