Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignorant people running for the train

Options
  • 12-12-2006 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Anyone else fed up of people running for the train, banging into everyone and not even bothering to attempt to apologise.

This morning in Pearse, some degenerate ran into about 4 people, pushing one nearly over and then ran straight into me. I was so enraged by him as he didnt even attempt to say sorry, I pushed him back. He then screamed "What you bleeding at, I'll knock the head off you" before running for the train. He obviously had enough time to stop and say that but couldnt apologise to people for banging into them!

I have no issue with people rushing for train but have some manners..:mad:

Sorry, rant over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

and the overreaction award of the day goes to.....

actually my own personal favourite is the commuters who assume that they should get on the train before people get off (with wild eyed panic lest they may not snag a seat)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Both cases I think come down to the fact that people can't depend on:

1. getting a seat for what can be long journeys in some cases

2. (C)IE's ability to run trains (and buses) reliably.

Whilst there's no excuse for the attitude from the other guy, I think if the above 2 issues WERE addressed people would behave in a lot calmer fashion at stations/bustops etc as it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to just wait another few minutes for the next one.

Unfortunately, all to often, the "next one" can be anywhere up to a half our later due to (C)IE's excuse for the day - leaves on the line, signalling faults, traffic, missing drivers, breakdowns etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Bus Éireann city bus services in particular are shortening people's lifespans by causing stress and large helpings of rage.

It's all very well for one to just turn the other cheek, relax and chill out (literally this time of year) while waiting for the next one; but let's face it, who isn't going to be angry at often unnecessarily having over an hour of their day used up waiting for non-existent buses.

I'm not a bit surprised at the situation of Dublin commuters running for trains, vying for seats, etc.; though its rather crazy that guy that stopped to mouth off.

Here in Limerick, it can be a case of getting on the bus at all at all or not. Using single deckers on the major routes is pathetic, all the more so on a quarter-hourly timetable where there can be gaps of over three quarters of an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

two points here.....firstly, todays single deckers have a capacity in excess of yesterdays double-deckers and secondly there is a time penalty associated with loading double deckers, which multiplied by the frequency of stops can have quite an effect on time keeping.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Both cases I think come down to the fact that people can't depend on:

1. getting a seat for what can be long journeys in some cases

2. (C)IE's ability to run trains (and buses) reliably.

How about all the Japanese who have to be pushed on by specially appointed "pusher-on-ers" in Tokyo ?

Maybe it's caused by some people being inherently unable to arrive anywhere on time... go to any country in the world and you'll see someone running for a train/bus/plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

corktina wrote:
    two points here.....firstly, todays single deckers have a capacity in excess of yesterdays double-deckers and secondly there is a time penalty associated with loading double deckers, which multiplied by the frequency of stops can have quite an effect on time keeping.

Todays single deckers have a capacity less than yesterdays single deckers, necessary and all as it is to have low floors and disabled access. I am including standing room - don't forget that the older buses had standing room too (well, they had people standing all the way back at times anyways).

Maybe extra long buses or running two single deck buses at the same time (but that needs twice the driver pay and maintanance) is better, but I suspect double deckers are the answer, or else there would be no point in their existence at all at all.

As regards inefficiency loading/unloading double deckers, have you experienced the dwell time of single deckers corktina when there are people standing all the way to the front window of the bus? The bus drivers quite rightly wait till people make their way through to get off.

Advertisement