Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross Kemp - Extreme World Sunday 10PM

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭

Is anybody watching this? They just after showing a man ODing - it was horrible viewing. It is the most explicit drug use I have ever seen on TV.

Comments

Watching the first episode atm, truly shocking stuff. Kemp is one of the best documentary film makers around, he's unafraid to go where most others would never set foot and rarely judges those he comes across. Watching him with the heroin addicts and Kemp comes across as a very genuine person, ge empathises never judging or talking down to them, a trait that a lot of documentary film makers lack.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I watched about half the first episode before I went to bed last night and as you can always expect with Kemp it was a great watch but borderline upsetting. You raise a very good point about not seeming to judge anyone which would put me off him straight away.

Also, with of these kind of things I sometimes think that they are edited to make the locations/interviews seem more dangerous then they actually are (Danny Dyer for example) but I really don't get that feeling with his shows.

ziedth wrote: »
    I watched about half the first episode before I went to bed last night and as you can always expect with Kemp it was a great watch but borderline upsetting. You raise a very good point about not seeming to judge anyone which would put me off him straight away.

Also, with of these kind of things I sometimes think that they are edited to make the locations/interviews seem more dangerous then they actually are (Danny Dyer for example) but I really don't get that feeling with his shows.

The thing that I find with Kemp's shows is just what aren't they showing. From what we see in the first episode it's obvious that they came across some pretty extreme stuff and I imagine a lot of it was not appropriate for TV viewing.

With Dyer you get a lot of posturing and playing the hard man, with Kemp we have a preconceived idea that he is a hard man but what comes across is that he's really a decent bloke who is genuinely curious and wants to understand what drives people.

I watched all 5 episodes last night and found it to be one of the best documentary shows I have ever seen, some of the topics covered were shocking and Kemp repeatedly gets upset, never hiding it from the camera. I would love to see an extended cut of each episode as it's clear that in the 42 minute run time a lot has to be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Is this the same thing that was shown earlier this year? IIRC he had someone overdosing before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^ it could very well be. It is literally only in the last number of weeks that I have gotten into documentaries. I had only seen Kemp in Afganistan and Glue kids(actually was that him?) till now.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Is this the same thing that was shown earlier this year? IIRC he had someone overdosing before.

Repeats of what was on earlier in the year, seeing it mentioned here reminded me that I had the first series to watch. Stuck it on planning to watch just one before bed and ended up watching all five.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ it could very well be. It is literally only in the last number of weeks that I have gotten into documentaries. I had only seen Kemp in Afganistan and Glue kids(actually was that him?) till now.

Look up Ross Kemp on Gangs then, if you like his stuff.
    There's 4 seasons of him going all over the world, meeting gangs.

There's one in Moscow where he's set on fire as a test :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

is this a new series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    is this a new series?

Wondering the same , if it was Chicago then it was a repeat.

That was truly one of the most disturbing things I've seen on TV.

I always liked kemps shows, but always at the back of my mind wonder if there is a team of burly minders off camera at times :confused:

I'll give him this he has some stones on him, no way you'd get me going to places he's been :pac:

Edit: Did a quick check on google , it was a repeat.

Advertisement