Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ross Kemp In Afghanistan.

• 01-03-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Anyone here watch this? The final episode is on tonight.
    To be honest i found it excellent viewing. I think however a lot of people were not willing to give it a chance because it was on Sky and not somewhere like the BBC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have been watching it. Excellent viewing. Loved the 1st series too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Have watched a few episodes of this as well and i think its pretty entertaining too. Kind of slow paced i guess but if you're anyway interested in modern warfare, it gives a pretty close view of it!

great show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I really liked this show - i enjoy Ross Kemps style, also like his "Gangs" series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Amazing stuff, going to sit down in a wee while and watch the last series. Heart really goes out to the troops, I think %99.99 don't give and don't have a clue what the war is about, but they just stick by one anothers back and fight for one another. To them I don't think it's a duty of serving their country, in my eyes they are serving the world, because ff they weren't there then the Taliban, Al Queda would be still running riot. It's a crazy situation and we could sit here all night arguing about oil and whatever started it but my hat goes off to Ross Kemp and all those troops out there right now fighting for the safety of not only their own nations but that of the EU and worldwide.

• Advertisement

like his "Gangs" series

Agreed, most if not all of the gangs series is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskydisco

I totally agree. It's a great programme and had it been produced by our friends over at the BBC then it would have had a lot more street cred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

love all his stuff he is brill ,really makes you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Watched most of the series. Excellent stuff. Where can he go from there? That series and his Gang seies were top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Excellent show..

Kemp does not adopt a jingoistic attitude of 'come on boys, let's kick their asses' - he is measured and responsible in the way he handles the conflict.

• Advertisement

Where can he go from there?

That's a good question. I read somewhere that he planned to take on gang culture in Limerick, I actually read it on this site so in could be total nonsense, which I presume so.

I think there is more gangs worldwide that he could focus on for a new series, perhaps he'll take that route again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Ok, I'm gonna put this out there.

While I do enjoy watching the show and I don't for a second dispute the Soldiers out there are in Danger and could be treated much better( A guy died on last night's show from an IED) , A part of me can't help thinking that there is a certain aspect of propaganda to the series.

I have watched the last few episodes and noticed the distinct lack of Enemies appearing visibly.

Yes, I know its a war zone and the Film Crew could be in real Danger exposing themselves to the Enemy. I just find it hard to believe that in the Presumably Hundreds (If not more) of Hours footage the have taken, very little if any ( That I can remember) "visible enemy presence" is shown to us on TV...Anyone who has been watching the series has seen the bombs being dropped on the compounds "in Response" to enemy fire but the only proof that enemy presense was there was the suggestion of the British Soldiers firing at them.
    Just a thought that has bugged me on an otherwise gripping show.

BTW, I'm not trying to be disrepectful to these guys who are putting themselves in real Danger out there, I'm just putting this thought out there and more to question how its being portrayed to us at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

masonman wrote: »
    I have watched the last few episodes and noticed the distinct lack of Enemies appearing visibly.

Yes, I know its a war zone and the Film Crew could be in real Danger exposing themselves to the Enemy. I just find it hard to believe that in the Presumably Hundreds (If not more) of Hours footage the have taken, very little if any ( That I can remember) "visible enemy presence" is shown to us on TV

You have more than likely given the reason for lack of enemy tv time. How it can be seen as propeganda I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You have more than likely given the reason for lack of enemy tv time. How it can be seen as propeganda I do not know.

Sure, the reason I gave is a possibility, But hardly definitive. As I said I would assume there was Hundreds (If not more) Hours of footage taken without an Enemy on screen. There was plenty of footage of British Soldiers looking ( in the line of fire) and then firing (fair enough- supressing fire)into compounds where the camera is in full view of the enemy, I would have expected at some stage to catch a glimpse of the enemy.

In my opinon COULD be (Not saying it is without question) seen as propaganda. I think its important to question it

It's a valid point Masonman, like yourself we all just assume that the enemy is hiding 30 yards away etc. I'm sure it would be difficult to capture them. There was a video they showed perhaps last week or week before showing a compound being bombed with the supposed taliban hiding out in it, whether it was really them is obviously open to question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Excellent show..

Riviting stuff & Great TV.

Advertisement