Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Dublin Airport to welcome 20 millionth passenger

• 08-12-2006 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWIDIDEYGBCW

Dublin Airport to welcome 20 millionth passenger
    08/12/2006 - 07:00:24

Dublin Airport is celebrating a milestone today with more than 20,000,000 passengers passing through its doors for the first time in one year.

The airport police and fire services brass band will be on hand shortly after midday to welcome the passenger who will be the 20 millionth person to travel through the airport this year.

The airport boasted a record number of passengers in the first six months of the year with almost 10 million people using the facility. The Dublin Airport Authority said this was a 15% increase on the same period last year.

More than two million passengers used the airport during June. The strongest growth during the first six months was experienced in traffic between Ireland and Europe which rose by 25% with 4.4 million people flying the routes.

More than 586,000 passengers travelled to and from North America during the first half of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Victor wrote:

It's amazing. When I was a kid, passenger numbers through the airport were only about 3 or 4 million and that's not all that long ago!

Planes and airports were a big interest of mine when I was a kid. Nothing was more exciting than a trip to the airport, whether just to see planes taking off and landing, or actually going away :)

Nowadays, I still have a fondness for the place, but that's more to do with nostalgia than anything else. It's a mess. The Pier D project will hopefully improve things airside, but what's there already needs some serious reorganisation. Departing and in particular returning through the B gates is like being stuck in a 1970's time warp! The poor layout, up and down stairs, escalators (or lifts), depressing and cold US immigration area, the inadequate and cramped baggage hall... the list goes on...

My favourite part of the airport is when you walk through the back of the Old Terminal on the way to the Ryanair shanty town. Black and white and sepia toned photos line the walls, harking back to the era when air travel was still glamorous and special, showing views of ‘Collinstown Airport’ in its heyday.

Of course, no one wants to return to the days of Aer Lingus charging £300 to fly to London. The advent of cheaper travel has for sure been good for everyone. However, the 'experience' of air travel has suffered greatly in the process.

Roll on Terminal 2!

Advertisement