Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

From what I read the protests at UoM started because black students felt that the president wasn't responding effectively to incidences of racial abuse, culminating in someone making a swastika out of crap in a residence hall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

From what I read the protests at UoM started because black students felt that the president wasn't responding effectively to incidences of racial abuse, culminating in someone making a swastika out of crap in a residence hall.

I've heard this alright but unless there's some quality evidence of this floating around I'm filing this under "paranoid sjw fantasy" for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its pretty disrespectful to the swastika :p , compared to whats happening in Paris tonight people losing their sh1t over this doesnt really hit my outrage meter. it could be trolling or an individual student having a nervous breakdown

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Is that the place where yer man quit because the football team went on strike? They're an odd lot, the yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

What I find interesting is that the instances mentioned appear to be the actions of individual drunk people or trolls yet the response from "Concerned Student 1950" is a list of demands that do not seem to be an appropriate response to that trolling.

I think we call all agree that someone drawing a swastika on a wall using feces is disgusting and outrageous BUT if we don't know who did this or the motivations of that individual then there's no further comment to be made.

I honestly think the appropriate solution here is to teach young people how to handle bullying and trolling and give them the tools to better deal with stuff like that.

Otherwise you are put in a situation where some bully writes something racist on a bathroom wall and the manager of the company gets bullied into resigning as a response to that.

I imagine that the person who smeared that crap all over the wall is just sitting back and laughing their ass off right now. Meanwhile the president of the University is forced to resign. Where is the sense of fairness there? Where is the social justice in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

What's happening on US campuses is mind blowing, there are advocacy groups who are actually asking for segregation based on race, but I guess that now its for the "right" reasons a "POC only" coffee shop is just fine.

http://claremontindependent.com/safe-spaces-segregate-the-claremont-colleges/
    t3Oxw68.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pH wrote: »
    What's happening on US campuses is mind blowing, there are advocacy groups who are actually asking for segregation based on race, but I guess that now its for the "right" reasons a "POC only" coffee shop is just fine.

t3Oxw68.jpg?1

They've gone nuts altogether.

t3Oxw68.jpg?1

these people are going to be a menace to society when they enter the workforce. its about the third time this week I have come across something along the lines of resurrecting something from the past but for different reasons.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

t3Oxw68.jpg?1

I have to say that I don't really mind this at all.

If people want to have an event for folks meeting A, B or C criteria and there is a privately owned venue that is willing to provide facilities for that then fair enough.

However, the right to do that should be available to all. So, if I wanted to start up a "White Men Only" night with the support of the local pub then nobody should object to that. If the "White Men Only" day was to be held in the park then no, not acceptable.

It should only be a problem if meetings like this are intended to promote hatred or to encourage people to go out there are cause damage in the community. Then it would be a problem.

Of course, why anyone would want to live inside an echo chamber or "safe space" is a bit of a mystery to me. I'd imagine that it would turn you into a really miserable person.

I suppose that US students don't really see the contradiction in being able to afford further education and claiming to be oppressed. I put it down to being young and inexperienced, to be honest.

I'd say that there is a bigger gulf between a PoC attending University and a PoC living in Americas poorest neighborhoods than there would be between rich people of color and rich white people. This fact seems to be lost on a lot of these students. It's kind of sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

orubiru wrote: »
    If people want to have an event for folks meeting A, B or C criteria and there is a privately owned venue that is willing to provide facilities for that then fair enough.

However, the right to do that should be available to all. So, if I wanted to start up a "White Men Only" night with the support of the local pub then nobody should object to that. If the "White Men Only" day was to be held in the park then no, not acceptable.

I get what you're saying, I disagree and think that current laws about discrimination on race are correct and see no need for racially segregated areas in a modern society, however I agree with you that on the basis of fairness and equality that if you did say support "PoC only" coffee shops then you shouldn't have a problem with a "whites only" bar - but let's not kid ourselves here, the people looking for the PoC spaces (another one's needed at Princeton) would throw a tantrum about a whites only space.

In some ways it'll be fun watching these morons go down these rabbit holes - for example is it OK for a white woman to serve coffee in a blacks-only coffee house and what about water fountains - black only? There already seems to be rumblings on social media about the status of Asians in a PoC safe space - they might be the wrong type of people of colour and make others feel unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I particularly like the 'participate elsewhere' concept :)

In some ways it'll be fun watching these morons go down these rabbit holes - for example is it OK for a white woman to serve coffee in a blacks-only coffee house and what about water fountains - black only? There already seems to be rumblings on social media about the status of Asians in a PoC safe space - they might be the wrong type of people of colour and make others feel unsafe.

Ultimately I think they will fail because the general population is against this kind of thing. It seems restricted to university students who, to be fair to them, are still learning how to socialize properly.

Yeah, we can all make fun of the guy who says "but look I have black friends" as a defense against the racism charge but the reality is that a lot of people do have good friends from different backgrounds and neither side would be happy to be turned away from the coffee shop because the white friends have been temporarily banned.

Personally, if I went to a bar or coffee shop or cinema and they turned me away because they were having a "PoC only" night then I probably would never go back there.

There is logic behind trying to have Asians "reclassified" because examples of racism between Asian folks and Black folks can be used to say "look, maybe everyone has this problem and it's not just white guys". It contradicts the definition of racism as "prejudice plus power". So, they will push forward the idea that "Asians actually have power so you can't be racist towards them". It's pretty awful and horrible but it does make sense.

:D

sjw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I have to wonder...what's the rationale behind "safe spaces"? I've never seen them brought up in a way that hasn't made a strawman out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I have to wonder...what's the rationale behind "safe spaces"? I've never seen them brought up in a way that hasn't made a strawman out of them.

Righteo then, seeing as you've asked. ;)

I've been involved with a couple of transgender and other LGBT groups, have run support groups, etc. When hosting a support or even social group, these generally were safe spaces, they were private and confidential, as is understandable when you've got people want to be able to talk about extremely sensitive and personal issues that they couldn't speak about elsewhere. The rationale is basically that you are free to talk about things and they wouldn't get repeated outside of that space, maybe a person is still questioning or haven't come out, the group can be their only outlet for that. Sometimes people need a space where they're free to talk, somewhere that's safe.

Another issue, which probably isn't going to be obvious to most people, but is a serious concern if you ever organize a trans support group, is if you're not discreet, if you're not careful to say that this is a group for trans people only and enforce that, you start to get creepers and fetishists show up. There's a lot of guys out there who've got a thing for transgender women, and some of them are seriously creepy and pushy, and being on the recieving end of that sort of attention, it's not something I ever wish to experience again. When it's in a space where people are trying to quite frankly bare secrets that they've kept buried for years, you do not want some asshole propositioning someone, telling them they'd look sexy in fishnets and knee high boots, and how they should get drinks... and that's mild. When that happens, people won't come to these groups, it'll be dead in the water and may not recover.

Try and imagine if you will, a young trans girl trying to get support because she has family or friends that aren't accepting, and some guy tries to convince her to come to some seedy 'adult cinema' with him. If you can picture that, you can understand why a safe space is needed. Unlike whatever idea some people seem to have of safe spaces, it is not about curtailing anyone's speech, but enabling it, providing somewhere where people are free to speak about things that they otherwise could not. That is the rationale.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Links234 wrote: »
    Righteo then, seeing as you've asked. ;)

I've been involved with a couple of transgender and other LGBT groups, have run support groups, etc. When hosting a support or even social group, these generally were safe spaces, they were private and confidential, as is understandable when you've got people want to be able to talk about extremely sensitive and personal issues that they couldn't speak about elsewhere. The rationale is basically that you are free to talk about things and they wouldn't get repeated outside of that space, maybe a person is still questioning or haven't come out, the group can be their only outlet for that. Sometimes people need a space where they're free to talk, somewhere that's safe.

Another issue, which probably isn't going to be obvious to most people, but is a serious concern if you ever organize a trans support group, is if you're not discreet, if you're not careful to say that this is a group for trans people only and enforce that, you start to get creepers and fetishists show up. There's a lot of guys out there who've got a thing for transgender women, and some of them are seriously creepy and pushy, and being on the recieving end of that sort of attention, it's not something I ever wish to experience again. When it's in a space where people are trying to quite frankly bare secrets that they've kept buried for years, you do not want some asshole propositioning someone, telling them they'd look sexy in fishnets and knee high boots, and how they should get drinks... and that's mild. When that happens, people won't come to these groups, it'll be dead in the water and may not recover.

Try and imagine if you will, a young trans girl trying to get support because she has family or friends that aren't accepting, and some guy tries to convince her to come to some seedy 'adult cinema' with him. If you can picture that, you can understand why a safe space is needed. Unlike whatever idea some people seem to have of safe spaces, it is not about curtailing anyone's speech, but enabling it, providing somewhere where people are free to speak about things that they otherwise could not. That is the rationale.

Hope that helps.

(Not that I'm comparing them directly) but it seems a bit like allowing your party animal, pisshead friend to come along to your alcoholics support group.

I don't think anyone sensible has any problem with anyone having discriminatory clubs in principal - they flush their logic down the toilet when it comes to discriminating against minorties of whatever sort, but the idea of having a private meeting place for people of similar backgrounds, experiences or whatever so that they have a unique opportunity to thrash their problems out seems generally fair to people.

It's a total bastardisation of that idea and missing the point of both it, and areas of public discourse like Universities, when people try and make something like a University campus a safe space. When people bandy around "PC gone mad" or "SJW" that's the sort of thing they often have in mind.

It's mistaking being allowed to seek out your own space with enforcing one on everyone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The excellent Jonathan Haidt delves into Coddle U and the idea of victimhood culture:

http://heterodoxacademy.org/2015/11/24/the-yale-problem-begins-in-high-school/

CUulXb7WoAAJbPl.jpg

• Advertisement

Islamophobia + American Jesus + Republican Party =

“I know it’s not politically correct to say,” she began. “But every nation that has fallen has fallen because they are anti-God. We have no future if we keep going like this. Except beheadings.”

“I believe he’s a Muslim and wanting Muslims to take over our nation. One nation under Allah instead of one nation under God! But if everyone prays and turns from their wicked ways, then God has promised to answer our prayers. That’s why we need a man of faith.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fear-faith-and-the-rise-of-ben-carson/2015/11/30/3a94c1d2-93a9-11e5-a2d6-f57908580b1f_story.html?tid=sm_fb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Nodin wrote: »
    Islamophobia + American Jesus + Republican Party =

“I know it’s not politically correct to say,” she began. “But every nation that has fallen has fallen because they are anti-God. We have no future if we keep going like this. Except beheadings.”

“I believe he’s a Muslim and wanting Muslims to take over our nation. One nation under Allah instead of one nation under God! But if everyone prays and turns from their wicked ways, then God has promised to answer our prayers. That’s why we need a man of faith.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fear-faith-and-the-rise-of-ben-carson/2015/11/30/3a94c1d2-93a9-11e5-a2d6-f57908580b1f_story.html?tid=sm_fb
    Are you sure you posted this on the right thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was thinking that, but then, if you go far enough to the right you meet people coming round from the left.

MrP

In my defence the caffeine had yet to kick in.

On Monday, Islamic apostate Maryam Namazie spoke at Golsdmith University to the university's Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society. Unfortunately, she ran into predictable bother with Goldsmiths Islamic Society (ISOC) involving allegations of intimidation and violence, a violently disrupted talk, while in fact suggesting that the university should be a "safe space":

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2015/12/01/goldsmith-isoc/
    http://www.londonstudent.coop/death-threats-goldsmiths-speaker-maryam-namazie/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12029884/Human-rights-campaigner-heckled-at-blasphemy-lecture.html
    https://www.facebook.com/shabnam.assadollahi/posts/10207931965036007

robindch wrote: »
    On Monday, Islamic apostate Maryam Namazie spoke at Golsdmith University to the university's Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society. Unfortunately, she ran into predictable bother with Goldsmiths Islamic Society (ISOC) involving allegations of intimidation and violence, a violently disrupted talk, while in fact suggesting that the university should be a "safe space":

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/2015/12/01/goldsmith-isoc/
    http://www.londonstudent.coop/death-threats-goldsmiths-speaker-maryam-namazie/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12029884/Human-rights-campaigner-heckled-at-blasphemy-lecture.html
    https://www.facebook.com/shabnam.assadollahi/posts/10207931965036007

The BBC were putting the boot into Maryam as well

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The BBC's 'balance' isn't all that far off what we got here during SSM referendum.

A spokesperson for an opposing viewpoint must be found and given air time, no matter how senseless or vile their ideas or how they express them.

Islam about love and tolerance? Even as she wears a symbol of female religious oppression.

Life ain't always empty.

Islam about love and tolerance? Even as she wears a symbol of female religious oppression.
    Have a read of the burka thread - a significant portion of the population believe that wearing the burka is, in fact, a symbol of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    Have a read of the burka thread - a significant portion of the population believe that wearing the burka is, in fact, a symbol of freedom.

Funny that - I'm no fan of the burka, but I was under the impression that if I can walk down the street wearing 20 safety pins piercing my face, someone else can cover their face entirely if they want to. Of course, I wouldn't get into some establishments with the safety pin look, just as some establishments require people to show their faces.

Is that too "PC"? Are my liberal leftie notions showing too much? ;)

• Advertisement

Shrap wrote: »
    [...] I was under the impression that if I can walk down the street wearing 20 safety pins piercing my face, someone else can cover their face entirely if they want to.
    The difference being that the decision to stick 20 safety pins into your face is usually made in a relatively free and unencumbered fashion. While the decision to wear the burka seems far more often to be the result of indoctrination or (cough) veiled threats of economic, social or physical violence.

Advertisement