Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumleys farm - poor effort

Options
  • 26-07-2015 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Very unimpressed with Rumleys. It's run-down, lacking any sort of care or upkeep and the play area for kids is unsafe in areas with WCs that I would not want to step into.

Trees and fences broken and falling down, looking like it's been like that for ages. Dirty looking ponds. Cramped pens for the animals, with a lot of the animals looking in bad nick (I wouldn't be an expert).

There was an area that presumably was supposed to be a vegetable patch, which was just covered in weeds!

All this for €8 for over one year olds! Hmmm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah I can't stand rumley's. How did the animals look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

pwurple wrote: »
    Yeah I can't stand rumley's. How did the animals look?

I wouldn't really know but there were a couple of pigs at one point that I thought were dead! They looked gigantic (maybe they're supposed to be!).

I was wondering to myself what these exotic animals thought of being enclosed in a small pen in wet and windy ballinhassig! At least Fota have plenty of space and seem to treat the animals well.

I'm all for new businesses and additional tourist activities in Cork but this crowd just give the impression that they're in it for a quick buck, not for the long haul. Or else they're just not very clever. People won't come back.

I'd feel sorry for tourists that see Runleys recommended on Tourist office leaflets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah tisnt just me.. I went there once with the kid I babysit and I thought twas fairly shocking now. The price to go in was a joke same price for an adult and a kid and the farm was rubbish to be honest.. I would have been better off at home looking at the chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Been to Rumley twice over the space over a couple of years. The place still has an unfinished feel. The tractor ride has broken perspex all over it. The mini golf is never swept clean. I think it's the proximity to the city that means they don't need to make much of an effort. Guaranteed visitors. Ardmore is of a far higher standard.

Is Leahys nicer then.. I know one chap working there and by him it sounds very nice but still haven't called in...

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Is Leahys nicer then.. I know one chap working there and by him it sounds very nice but still haven't called in...

Leahys has vastly improved over the years. Food still wouldn't be the best but they have very good mini golf, working mini excavators, a maze, a big climbing rig, a jumbo pipe slide and apparently a new soft play area.

laughing to myself thinking wow id love all that stuff all I need now is a kid... is the mini golf suited to adults? I love the one in Dublin its close to some shopping centre.. would love if there was one in cork but nope

laughing to myself thinking wow id love all that stuff all I need now is a kid... is the mini golf suited to adults? I love the one in Dublin its close to some shopping centre.. would love if there was one in cork but nope

I've had a go myself. Plenty big.

Great stuff that next weekend planned... If you bored we could meet for a match

Great stuff that next weekend planned... If you bored we could meet for a match

This pic gives an idea of what its like
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=leahys+farm+golf&client=ms-android-hms-vf-ie&hl=en&source=lnms&v=141292727&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIw5ndxIX5xgIVBq3bCh1jpw9C&biw=320&bih=533

• Advertisement

I wasn't particularly impressed with the farm in Grenagh either but it's miles better than this Rumleys place; at least it's tidy and cared for and you can someone has some pride in the place. They also seem to focus more on more usual farm animals which is all you want for small kids really.

ah thank you doesn't look too bad.. went to one up the country somewhere that was suppose to be modelled on the village oh twas shocking

kcb wrote: »
    I wasn't particularly impressed with the farm in Grenagh either but it's miles better than this Rumleys place; at least it's tidy and cared for and you can someone has some pride in the place. They also seem to focus more on more usual farm animals which is all you want for small kids really.

Yeah, in fairness the Farm in Grenagh is meant to give an experience of farming in the 50's as opposed to a petting farm kinda deal. Their machinery demonstrations are pretty good. Combines, ploughing, baling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

leahysopenfarm.ie/

Leahys open farm in east cork is pretty good also its surrounded by Cnoc a Ceo Woods so you can fit in a walk as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I seem to be at odds with everyone else here I was out there a few weekends ago with the small fella and enjoyed it immensly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am glad I saw this post I was considering taking my friends little girl there next weekend. I think I might head elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I was out there reasonably recently and was pretty impressed. A few bits and pieces to sort out but an enjoyable visit none the less. Pricing structure seems a bit odd (everyone over 2 pays the same price) but other than that seemed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It's a dump of a place that has had it too good and are lazy & complacent as a result.
    Seriously, charging for adults is a joke, everyone knows no self respecting adult would go there if they had the choice.

A few bits and pieces to sort out

The problem for me is that they've had those bits to finish since they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

mordeith wrote: »
    The problem for me is that they've had those bits to finish since they opened.

I havent been there since christmas but had a season pass twice when it opened first. Its a lovely spot. We never saw an animal that didnt look well cared for.
    As for the bits that look unfinished, i can agree with that. The toilets in the barn looked like they were waiting on the builder to come and finish off the plastering everytime we went.
    There always seemed to be little jobs that needed to be done. If they got a good bunch of tradesmen in for 2 days it would make a huge difference to the look of the place.
    I never had an issue with prices tho. They charge the going rate. We always brought a picnic when the weather was good and had a stroll round, played in the playground and then headed to the car to get the food and had it at the picnic area before another stroll around. Our kids always loved going there but eventually got a little bored as we were there anytime we were off and the weather was good.
    Santa at christmas is very good there too.
    Maybe its gone downhill since we were last there tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

+1 for Leahys (and I have no association with them), the kids love it, loads to do, very well kept and the animals all appear well cared for. Mr Leahy Senior (or whatever his name is) is lovely, he wanders around chatting to all the families, telling them about the animals. We couldn't get away from him :)

oakshade wrote: »
    +1 for Leahys (and I have no association with them), the kids love it, loads to do, very well kept and the animals all appear well cared for. Mr Leahy Senior (or whatever his name is) is lovely, he wanders around chatting to all the families, telling them about the animals. We couldn't get away from him :)

Hadn't heard of the place until this thread will defo be taking the small fella there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

etoughguy wrote: »
    I seem to be at odds with everyone else here I was out there a few weekends ago with the small fella and enjoyed it immensly

Yeah, me too. Kids loved it. But only been out there once so maybe we caught it on a good day - but we were all impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

shnaek wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. Kids loved it. But only been out there once so maybe we caught it on a good day - but we were all impressed.

Maybe they have different animals out on different days. I nearly got sick the last time I was there with the sorry condition the animals were held in.

How is a camel a farm animal? Or an alpaca? Or lemurs, water buffalo or wallabys for that matter?

And the bird cages were so tiny... it was like battery sized cages. :'(

pwurple wrote: »
    Maybe they have different animals out on different days. I nearly got sick the last time I was there with the sorry condition the animals were held in.

How is a camel a farm animal? Or an alpaca? Or lemurs, water buffalo or wallabys for that matter?

And the bird cages were so tiny... it was like battery sized cages. :'(

Ah well nearly all the animals mentioned above are farmed/domesticated in their native lands.

I agree with the birds but I've never seen anywhere with large bird enclosures. What gets me though is the area the two large dogs (can't remember the breed exactly, wolf-like anyway) seems tiny compared to the duck run next door. Also have they measures in place to prevent the prairie dogs escaping? I'd imagine they could become a pest to local farmers pretty quickly.

mordeith wrote: »
    Leahys has vastly improved over the years. Food still wouldn't be the best but they have very good mini golf, working mini excavators, a maze, a big climbing rig, a jumbo pipe slide and apparently a new soft play area.

They do indeed have a soft play area (looks new to me first time there last Saturday), I enjoyed the place. I know this is a rumley's bashing thread but I give rumley's the edge, different strokes different folks and all that

Rumleys have managed to put gigantic signs all over the place alright so they get credit for promoting their dump. I suppose if they con enough once off visitors and tourists there's someone making some cash out of it. There's no cost in running the place clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

We took a spin to Leahys yesterday and its in a league of their own compared to other pet farms weve been to before.
    They seemed to be lacking in animals but they made up for it with activities and things to do. Absolutley brilliant spot.

.red. wrote: »
    We took a spin to Leahys yesterday and its in a league of their own compared to other pet farms weve been to before.
    They seemed to be lacking in animals but they made up for it with activities and things to do. Absolutley brilliant spot.

We were there on Saturday. First time there since the upgrades. You're right about less animals but I think that allows them focus on the other things. Got some fresh baked soda bread off the open fire! I reckon most kids couldn't care less about seeing goats and sheep anyway. I know mine don't. It was all about the diggers and quadbike train ride!

• Advertisement
Advertisement