Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Jacobs Island in Cork like to live in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

and try to get insurance for your gaf, 'Cork' and 'island' will scare those insurance companies:D

On that bombshell, they would do well to check out one of those "global warming" flood prediction sites to see how there area responds. :eek: but that's next century stuff in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Jacobs Island seems nice enough for now, be aware of the full plans for the area though.

City Council voted to allow office development there haven't they? Can't say I'd fancy that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

mordeith wrote: »
    City Council voted to allow office development there haven't they? Can't say I'd fancy that to be honest.

Not sure what, but three more towers were in the original planning application. And it was earmarked for a massive hotel and event centre from time to time as well, initially MP was expected to have been there but moved by the council to its present position.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Heard they have a rat problem form someone I know who used live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

No, it's not. Even the electoral register has the address as Jacob's Island, Blackrock.

I don't even live in the city so I have no vested interest in this, just the pursuit of truth ;)

Look now, when I order my pizza I say Mahon, therefore it's Mahon :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Apologies for the bump mods, but just a general question for those in the area.

I'm moving into the Haven area of Jacob's Island, and just wanted to clarify if I can get UPC there or not?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Not sure what, but three more towers were in the original planning application. And it was earmarked for a massive hotel and event centre from time to time as well, initially MP was expected to have been there but moved by the council to its present position.

hehe laughing at this. lets say the towers were just a lets see who has the most money to waste thing. Oh twas gas seeing pics of what was planned for these towers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

PanaDrama wrote: »
    Heard they have a rat problem form someone I know who used live there.

Can understand that. I went for a walk (after the heavy rain) and it was awful....lots of rats were running across the walkway into the 'park' bit. It was swampland, but throw rats into the bargain, it wasn't pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ick not that rats bother me but not that close to your home the damage that they would do... Don't see the appeal to live there myself other than that it is close to the walk link which is handy if you are working in rochestown or passage or there abouts.

Have never been too far inside the buildings I remember a friend used to live around the back of the site, there were big gates to which never worked they were suppose to be keypad or electronic. Her friends bike was stolen from outside the house and a lot of other small robberies were happening there. All Ill say is Choices

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

No, it's not. Even the electoral register has the address as Jacob's Island, Blackrock.

I don't even live in the city so I have no vested interest in this, just the pursuit of truth ;)

You're right, Mahon, Ballinure, Ballintemple are all in Blackrock.

l don't live in Mahon or Ballinure so it's all the one me to but l lived in Blackrock before Mahon was developed about 20 ( could be nearer 30 Years now - l'm getting old !! ) Years ago. When l was a kid it was all farmers fields with a few gaffs splattered around the general area of Mahon/Ballinure. lt was only after a load of marshy land was re-claimed that we have all the fields down by St Michaels GAA/Ringmahon soccer and all that.

Mahon is a small place with one main street with a few shops, a church and schools right beside it. St. Michaels cemetery, is near the border of Mahon/Ballinure but it is basically Blackrock.

A lot of people who got houses in Mahon 20 Years ago were from Blackrock and as the area is now more mature it has calmed down as the population aged. In 20 Years time it will probably be considered a quiet area. Also, a good few few people that are not from Cork have bought into the area over the Years so there's little point stereotyping the area as one thing or another.

lf i could put it this way there's only one senior hurling team in Blackrock, and there are plenty of fellows from Ballinure and Mahon down at the club. Apart from a bit of slagging there's fcuk all difference.

For example you could walk from Mahon Police station to the Pier Head Inn in Blackrock village in 5 minutes and there's no segregation. ;):p

Similarly it would take 5 minutes to walk to Eden from Cental Mahon :D

Basically it's all the one at the end of the Day like. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Rebel1987

Sorry to be raising this thread from the ashes again but I am viewing an apartment in The Haven, Jacobs Island this evening.

What's the area around there like these days, I've heard from one or two people that it's gone rough enough.

The location is ideal but would like to hear other peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Rebel1987 wrote: »
    Sorry to be raising this thread from the ashes again but I am viewing an apartment in The Haven, Jacobs Island this evening.

What's the area around there like these days, I've heard from one or two people that it's gone rough enough.

The location is ideal but would like to hear other peoples opinions.

My buddy was staying in an apartment up there until very recently and he never said anything about it being rough.

Having said that if I was renting in Blackrock I wouldn't go for Jacobs Island unless of course you happen to be working in Mahon Point in which case it would be ideal, i.e. you could walk to work.

The thing is that Jacobs island was a Celtic tiger development and where it is located is for me, not exactly ideal. There are no small corner shops there, no pub. So you'd have to be hopping into the car for all that type of stuff and also the traffic on the junction by Mahon Point is very busy at rush hour which will be a pain in the arse if you're just going home, depending on where you are working.

Some of the apartments are high rise and they're expensive too so I couldn't see how they could be rough.

There's a big park/field out the back of that general area too which is generally very quiet and obviously you're beside the line along by the castle etc. which would be ideal if you're into running/walking etc.

Apart from rush hour you're basically 5/10 minutes away from anything else in Blackrock that you're interested in and of course Mahon Point and the cinema in Mahon Point is only a 5 minute walk away.

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Max999

Looking at moving to either Blackrock or Jacob's island. I'm not familiar with the area so just wondering has the traffic around Jacob's island improved the past few years? Or just gotten more congested?

At rush hour in the morning and evenings, around Mahon is an absolute nightmare.

Although, it beats me sitting on the Rochestown Road for 35 minutes every morning!! Traffic in Cork is gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Max999

So guessing the revamped roadworks from an article in the echo last year have not made much of a difference? eveningecho.ie/cork-news/revamped-roads-will-end-mahon-point-jams/2256396/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Max999 wrote: »
    Looking at moving to either Blackrock or Jacob's island. I'm not familiar with the area so just wondering has the traffic around Jacob's island improved the past few years? Or just gotten more congested?

Always a nightmare around rush periods. I'd pass by it at least once a week these days and nothing has changed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frankfield49

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an apartment in the Sanctuary Jacobs Island, I am just wondering is it a nice area? Can you hear the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an apartment in the Sanctuary Jacobs Island, I am just wondering is it a nice area? Can you hear the motorway?

It's grand, there's just that development there, nothing else.
    Yes, you can hear it if your windows are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chris Partlow

Hi,

Rented an apartment in the Sanctuary for 4 years from 2014 to earlier this year. Very nice area and very handy for most things close to the city. You can hear the cars alright if the apartment is facing the road. If it's facing the water you should be okay.

Traffic around Mahon Point at Christmas is mental though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Also be aware there's a massive development approved for that area: http://montip-horizon.ie

Depending on your perspective, that's either a terrible thing (a lot of noise, disruption, and future traffic) or a great thing (upcoming area, will see more facilities and public services going forwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frankfield49

Thanks, The Apartment is The Falcon block. Its facing Mahon point and a bit of the motorway, so no water views :(

Is the noise off the motorway annoying/disruptive?

Yes I agree about the massive development it will be disruptive but I think it will be a good thing in the long run.

Advertisement