Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Makeup Products!

• 23-02-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

I was on Youtube looking through my subscriptions, one of whom is emilynoel83, who's a broadcaster that has an amateur interest in makeup, and is not snobby at all about the products she will use and rave about. Her voice can be a bit news-y but she's really great for talking about cheaper stuff and concentrating on 'drugstore' products over higher end things.

Anyway, her latest video is about the first stuff she ever used as a teenager, and it got me thinking - and cringing - over the first makeup products I ever wore. Now, I'm 23, and started wearing lipgloss when I was about 14, and gradually progressed to wearing foundation by about 16. Just to put it all in context.

My first lip product - a gloss - was a Maybelline Fruity Jelly in the pinky colour. They're discontinued but they came in a squeezy tube with a rounded top and you just squeezed the gloss on. I loved them and had nearly all the colours, even the hideous tan one that made me look like I'd just pasted caramel all over my lips.
    Like probably everyone, my first concealer was good old Rimmel's Hide The Blemish. Haven't been tempted to go back to it recently, but I am proud of the fact that I went for the appropriate colour i.e. not orange.
    However, my first foundation was Maybelline's Wonder Finish in Cameo, which was way way way too pink for me, but I thought I was the shiz wearing it. I probably looked like a glossy-lipped salmon, but at least I didn't know it.
    Also like probably everyone, my first eyeliner was Rimmel's Kajal, in the Grey. Actually think I might try it again, I remember that I absolutely loved it!
    First mascara that I remember was Bourjois' Volume Glamour, which I still love, but I have the sneaking suspicion that I probably tried a Maybelline Great Lash before it and blocked how crap it was out of my head. Top all that off with a Rimmel cream eyeshadow in a silvery colour and you have the very image of beauty...it says alot that half the stuff mentioned is heartily discontinued.:o

At least I didn't wear Panstik or Heather Shimmer lipstick. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

I also used the fruit jelly lip gloss! :) haha. It wasn't too bad, just a bit sticky :/ I had a clear one so I hope I looked alright. I robbed most of my first makeup off my mam and sister so as a result, I was orange as I am very pale and have pink-toned skin, theirs is yellow :P The first foundation I bought was a maybelline super wear one or something, can't remember the name but it's discontinued and also made me a yellow-orange colour. It smelled like paint too. I moved on to dream matte mousse which just made my skin incredibly flakey looking. I wore whatever eye make up I could rob from my mam and sister :P And copious amounts of powder. One decent thing I sometimes got was the loreal infallible foundation which is the perfect colour for my skin, it has great coverage so I sometimes still use it as concealer when I have spots. I was absolutely gorgeous...:P *cringe*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Top all that off with a Rimmel cream eyeshadow in a silvery colour and you have the very image of beauty...it says alot that half the stuff mentioned is heartily discontinued.:o
    It wouldn't have been this one was it?
    21nGA1ZqYSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Pretty sure that was one of my first eyeshadows!

My first foundation was a bourjois ten hour sleep I tried at the gaeltacht (which was way too yellow for me in retrospect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

First makeup age 12, pound shop:
    "Constance Carroll" everything, blue mascara, luminous nail polishes and lots of glitter tubs.... :o

I had every colour under the sun of eyeshadows, lipsticks, and nail polishes, makeup that was too orange, makeup that was too pale, cheap perfumes and "impulse" body sprays.
    I did move onto [slightly] nicer things from the chemist fairly quickly though.
    Don't really wear makeup much now at all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

:O I forgot about my blue mascara! I had an electric blue one I used to wear to school in 6th class with a denim blue eyeliner?? :S My teacher always gave out to me. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

snooleen wrote: »
    :O I forgot about my blue mascara! I had an electric blue one I used to wear to school in 6th class with a denim blue eyeliner?? :S My teacher always gave out to me. :P

Doesn't sound as bad as the metallic silver liquid eyeliner I used to wear with mine! As it was liquid, I used to also use it as an eyeshadow at times- 2 products in one, was great!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

"Constance Carroll" everything, blue mascara, luminous nail polishes and lots of glitter tubs.... :o

LOL, same here, Pound Shop's finest.. I used to rob my sisters.. God it was awful stuff, could use it to fix holes in walls I'd say :p

I used to use a Rimmel foundation when I was about 15 and it was terrible.. it didn't even set, it would just stay in liquid form on my face :o then I moved on to using No7 concealer as a foundation cause I had really bad spots.. Jesus what was I thinking !!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got my first foundation from H&M! Good lord! After that it was just lashings of black mascara and eyeliner from Rimmel because I thought I was the most rockin' thing going. I used Maybelline Wonder Finish as well for a while and it was awful. I found it so hard to find foundation pale enough. Then, thankfully, I discovered Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

My first makeup was my mums dunnes stores eyeshadow palette and her red lipstick when I was knee high to a butterfly! Lipstick went all over the face don't you know?!?! :D;)

When I was about 11 someone left a stash of half used products at my house....too young to understand the dangers of eye infections/allergies I loved this old max factor tube of foundation :rolleyes: in ORANGE! ugh! Loads of deadly nail varnishes though! :)

My first foundation that I (pocket money) bought was Rimmell 1000 caresses powder (all my friends were wearing it!!) I also went through the blue mascara and eyeshadow phase...I try and stay away from it now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Oh god I fell prey to Max Factor Lasting Performance too...not my first foundation though I'm ashamed to admit! I went through some seriously awful phases - L'Oreal Cashmere Perfect which would just turn into patchy clumps on my face, using dark purple Maybelline eyeshadow as eyeliner underneath my eye - nothing else but purple underneath my eye. God what possessed me?
    Also, blusher didn't figure in my routine until way after foundation and the rest. So to reiterate - foundation, purple eyeshadow underneath eyes, LOADS of mascara (I'd say I kept applying until I just had two massive eyelashes - thankfully no pictures really exist of this period) my fruit jelly, grey eyeliner and absolutely no blush or anything to stop me looking an unnatural shade of pink death.
    I'm really glad I'm not a teenager any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

The very first make up I got in to was eye liner - Rimmel, and boy, did I lash it on! After that came Rimmel pressed powder. Thankfully, I didn't try foundation until I was 17 and I mentioned it to my mum. She brought me make up shopping so the colour was right and it was Benefit's Non-Fiction. I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

ugh, this takes me back. Younger make up regime included:

-an addiction to heather shimmer/ cocoa shimmer lipstick (by rimmel I think??)
    -bodyshop kiwi lipbalm
    -neutrogena concealer
    -revlon warpaint foundation that had Cindy Crawford as their model at the time. Don't think it was heavy enough for my 13-year old skin so I switched to max factor heavy duty stuff, which had to be shovelled off with a trowel every night
    -clear mascara from Miss Selfridge (what was the point?)
    -dodgy blue eyeshadow, also from Miss Selfridge

Then I was ready to go. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

I had every colour under the sun of eyeshadows, lipsticks, and nail polishes, makeup that was too orange, makeup that was too pale, cheap perfumes and "impulse" body sprays.
    I did move onto [slightly] nicer things from the chemist fairly quickly though.
    Don't really wear makeup much now at all.:)

Haha forgot about the impulse body spray, what were we thinking! Was it meant to be a perfume or a deodrant? Who knows! It smelled like air freshener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

When I was nine or ten, my sister used to give me the little samples of foundation you'd get with magazines, which I'd just sort of smear onto my cheeks messily, if that counts!

Sneakily ordered a mascara from the Avon cataloge when I was eleven, thought I was so cool putting it on, until my sister caught me wearing it and thought it was the cutest thing ever.. I did such a bad job of it she thought I was wearing eyeliner too!

Don't remember the first products I used seriously though, but two that stick out are a Collection 2000 foundation, which was actually a brilliant foundation that got discontinued, and a horrendous Rimmel foundation, think it was called Rimmel Recover.. looked like a discoball! First eyeshadows I started using were those loose pigment Stargazer ones.. found an old yellow one the other day.. can't believe someone actually let me wear that in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

I was on Youtube looking through my subscriptions, one of whom is emilynoel83, who's a broadcaster that has an amateur interest in makeup

Love her, though her voice gets at me after a while, can only watch a few at a time!

I wore maxfactor foundations, starting off with panstick, which was fine!
    Isa Dora for eyeshadow and a load of rimmel eyeshadows/eyeliners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

First eyeshadows I started using were those loose pigment Stargazer ones.. found an old yellow one the other day.. can't believe someone actually let me wear that in public.

Oh jesus, I had one of those eye shadows too, also in yellow. Why, why, WHY!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

I'm so proud I've got us all depressed about the horrors we used to look as teenagers...

I've just remembered Miner's stuff also; if any product supposedly for the face tastes more like soap then it's a bar of Palmolive. God, why did I pay heed to Mizz magazine?? I used to buy those stacks of Miner's lipglosses that would flick out, in lovely wearable colours like CRAZY GLITTER, DEAD PERSON, JAM RED and RIDICULOUS PURPLE, keep them in my uniform skirt pocket, and oh yeah, I was ready for any lipgloss emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I think my first make up purchase was a cherry flavoured lipgloss when I was around 13. I felt like such a grown up wearing it. Other products included that rubbish Great Lash mascara from maybelline that was totally over hyped.
    A stick foundation from maybelline (express something?) that was like a crayon and also the wrong colour for my skin........various Miners bits and bobs and a few covergirl lipsticks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Makeup sets from Argos :D they were 5/6 euro and came with a nailpolish, mascara, blusher and lipgloss :)

First makeup brand was Miss Sporty :D eyeliner was deadly.

First proper makeup was No.7 mouse pot in Ivory and my second was an Elizabeth Arden foundation :D I still love those foundations to this day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

a double ended, extra chunky eyeliner pencil (I think from Rimmel) in metallic baby blue and silver. It was like a crayon I used to colour my entire eyelid in with one colour and then under my eye with the other. No other makeup at all (bar a sort of white-purple glitter lipstick when going to the 'disco') and a unibrow. I looked class!

Then I discovered glitter gel and went out blinding people with my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

oh god ! the memories bright turquise blue eyeshadow and bright pink eyeshadow, or lots or black eyeliner, rimmel or maybelline mouse foundation and natural collection mascara, no blusher or bronzer and clear lipgloss ! ew ! haha all foundations looked so dark tho coz i'm so pale, like Twee thank god i discovered Mac !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

When I fisrt started wearing foundation I remember I use to wear the panstick max factor - I use to wear the 13 mixed with 14. The stuff was like cement, my school coller use to be filthy with makeup.:o Makeup was way to dark for my skin.

Pan%20Stick%20Foundation_mf0027_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Natural collection all the way! Everything I had starting out was by them. Then for some reason when I finally discovered MAC the first eyeshadow colour I bought was electric eel! :confused: I thought it was so cool and vibrant... Completely unwearable, still have it upstairs in my room practically unused!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup used Heather Shimmer and Pan Stick. Perfume, anyone remember Tribe? or I think I used Dewberry from the Body Shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Oh my lord!

When I think back to the make up I wore as a teen I shudder.

I had brown/black/yellow/red/purple/lime green eyeshadow.

I remember one look was the Bourjois single eyeshadow, all over my eyes, from lids up to my brows and under my eyes, black mascara, bright orange foundation, two or three bronzers, bright pink glittery blusher and pink, glittery, glossy lips. /shudder

Remember another time going to 'work' (I served one customer) in a family members shop, thought I was the cool kid working in a sweet shop. Bright, almost neon, shadow, lips, etc.

Another phase I went through wearing an endless list of bronzers/powders, but no foundation.

I remember when I first started wearing make up. I put the powder on first, then the foundation and couldn't understand why I had little 'balls' on my face :rolleyes: :o

Another time I decided to use marker on my eyebrows. Not long after I decided to shave half of one of them off with an electric leg shaver.

I remember another time I was putting on pink or red lipstick and thought it would be a good idea to put it all over my chin, top of upper lip/under my nose, around my mouth. It took days before it all full came off.

Then I went through a phase of not wearing any make up at all and then (about four years ago) got back into it, thankfully I chose products and colours better suited to my skin tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My first items of make up were free gifts from magazines!

Bought a light blue creme eyeshadow from Clinique.

Also Rimmel's Hide the Blemish.

Had a shimmery purple Bourjois eyeshadow.

Was a big fan of the 17 make up range. Mascaras in pink, blue, green... A lipstick in a pink shimmer.

Got a strawberry perfume from the Body Shop and Angel perfume by Thierry Mulger.

Obviously glitter was very in, used to wear that to Wesley disco.

I had a part time job from when I was 16 so from that point I used Clinique, Benefit, Mac and Estee Lauder and I started looking much better as I paid more attention to technique and what looks good.

Pictures of me at 18 look pretty much the same make up wise as they do now, 8 years later. Still use the same foundation!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

rorrissey wrote: »
    Natural collection all the way! Everything I had starting out was by them. Then for some reason when I finally discovered MAC the first eyeshadow colour I bought was electric eel! :confused: I thought it was so cool and vibrant... Completely unwearable, still have it upstairs in my room practically unused!

I had a similar shade from Make Up Forever, and yes it's still in the makeup kit, barely used! I must break it out and have a go. I'd like to think I have more skill now so I could so something with it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

My first ever proper make up products were a white eyeshadow, a pinky lipstick and a concealer which I wore on my confirmation :p Eyeshadow and lipstick were Natural Collection I think, and the concealer was Max Factor.

Didn't really wear make up again properly until I was about 15 and going through my emo phase. Oh god the state of me, thankfully there are no pix haha! I used to wear loads of black eyeliner and eyeshadow (Rimmell and 17 usually) and a bright red lipgloss (a 17 one which I think I still have somewhere) to school the whole time (there were no rules on wearing makeup so we'd all come in looking a show). Had the lightest shade of the Rimmel Cool Matte Mousse foundation and I used to use white eyeshadow instead of powder to make myself look paler, the shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leinstergal

i'm afraid i'm a bit older so it was Constance Carroll - quad eyeshadow in PINK, with "candyfloss" lipstick or if i wanted a more grown up look heather shimmer. perfume was white musk from the body shop or 4711 from when i went to bruges on a school trip :rolleyes: don't forget the HUGE cans of hairspray from the pound shop that put the hole in the ozone - spray, backcomb, spray, backcomb...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

This is a great thread - so many dodgy memories. Max Factor panstick here too. Probably the palest colour, even though I'm not that pale. Bourjois little round pot - the lilac one. With Rimmel silver eyeshadow. Which wouldn't have been too bad if I'd known about blending. Or colours to suit my own colouring! No blusher, bronzer or anything to take away from the flat panstick look. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

This was my first ever lipstick, and yes I do still own it. Never use it now though as it'd be about 14 or 15 years old at this stage. It's called Maurover by Miss Selfridge.

295r9zl.jpg

My Ma gave me a silver eyeshadow, I still have that one too. I used to use white eyeliner, and then put either blue or purple eyeshadow over it - very innovative back in the day so I was :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Cheap pound shop stuff as well as lots of Miss Sporty!

I went through a Summer of wearing number 12 Max Facter Pan Stik and looked like Data out of Star Trek, so pasty! I actually still use it as a concealer when I'm really red!

My first biggest purchase was No. 7's Mouse foundation in Ivory. It was perfect! Don't make it anymore though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Love this thread, the memories!

My first eyeshadow was Moonstone by Rimmel, a shimmery off white colour. This was patted on generously with a finger as they didn't include brushes back in those days. A slick of heather shimmer (what else) on the lips and my 13 year old self was good to go for the teenage disco!

A few years later into my teens, I discovered Bourjois and their cute as a button eyeshadow pots- I loved lilas and banane,which were lilac and yellow shimmery eyeshadows. Moved away from the heather shimmer and would use the Body Shop lip balms, incidentally I preferred TBS Lip Balms back in the 90s than the Born Lippy lip balms of today! This is something that has carried over to this day, while I love the idea of lipsticks and have loads, I usually just opt for tinted lip balm.

Actually, on the subject of the Body Shop, is it just me or was it better in the 90s than today?

First Mascara was Maybelline Great Lash- awful, awful mascara. Every magazine I devoured in my teens lauded this as the greatest Mascara ever. What a disappointment.

Perfumes were Impulse Vanilla Body Spray, So..?, Charlie Red and then at about 15, I discovered "designer" perfume. Davidoff Cool Waters was worn by myself and just about every girl in my class. I also loved Tommy Girl, this was usually sprayed on liberally. I had yet to discover the dangers of over zealous perfume application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

jenizzle wrote: »
    This was my first ever lipstick, and yes I do still own it. Never use it now though as it'd be about 14 or 15 years old at this stage. It's called Maurover by Miss Selfridge.

Ah I remember Miss Selfridge Makeup, they used to do brilliant nail varnishes too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Perfumes were Impulse Vanilla Body Spray, So..?, Charlie Red and then at about 15, I discovered "designer" perfume. Davidoff Cool Waters was worn by myself and just about every girl in my class. I also loved Tommy Girl, this was usually sprayed on liberally. I had yet to discover the dangers of over zealous perfume application.

I have literally the exact same history with perfumes! Oh God when I smell Davidoff now it takes me back lol :)

Advertisement