Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 'cheaper' make up

• 02-10-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

So, I love buying make up, especially when it's cheap n' cheerful. However I hate making mistakes, whether it costs E30 or E3, and I make ALOT of mistakes in Boots and the like. So I thought it'd be a good idea if we posted our best finds in the 'lower' end brands, because the cheaper brands aren't particularly cheap, especially when, like me, you can't resist the impulse buy! So, to start off, I'll give a list of my favourite Boots-range makeup! it seems easiest to go by brand really.

Revlon - my overall favourite Boots brand, though pretty expensive for what it is. Best pick would be of course the Colorstay foundation, which is great, although the colour range is limited, like any cheaper make up. Coverage comparable to Estee Lauder's Double Wear, but doesn't sit in the pores like DW, which is good.
    Love the Colorburst lipsticks, I don't like my lipsticks to be too matte because I find that very ageing. Favourite colours are Blush and Rosy Nude (I'm pretty boring). Colour payoff is good, consistency is lovely and comfortable to wear, big fan here!
    I have a blush in Tawny Peach which is nice, pale but great for lifting the complexion. Crap for contouring or anything like that but gives a nice pechy glow to pale skin.
    Have a Mineral Lipglaze in Infinite Rose which is a nice colour; find lipglosses difficult to get excited over really but that one's nice.

L'Oreal:
    Mascara, mascara, mascara - they are the business! Expensive though. Favourite is Lash Architect in the blackest black, love it. I don't really like subtle mascaras though so if you like a natural look, I suppose those weird silicone brushes would work better, I can't get behind them myself - I love the old fashioned real brushes!
    Super Liner Carbon Gloss or whatever it's called - brilliant, love it, so easy for a novice to use because even though the felt tip is very flexible, it's so easy to draw with.
    I like their Glam Shine lipglosses but to be honest I'd use anything, they're all interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.
    Have an eyeshadow in Metal Plum and it's such a gorgeous subtle purple and is great for my eyecolour (greeny blue), colour payoff pretty good. Has become my favourite eyeshadow.

Rimmel:
    Don't really like this brand that much but their lipsticks are great, favourite is the new range (pink tubes, NO idea what they're called) and favourite colour is Have Fun.

Bourjois:
    Mascaras pretty decent with this brand, my favourite is the Glamour something (I'm terrible for names clearly) - the black tube with the pink lid. I prefer L'Oreal for mascara but Bourjois is good too. I'm not exceptionally loyal brand-wise! Lipglosses are the best with Bourjois I think; the colours are gorgeous, particularly the red ones. Really easy way to wear red! Otherwise I don't really get Bourjois, find the eyeshadows kind of crap, can't ever get any purchase colour-wise. Same with blush tbh.

Barry M:
    Well everyone knows about the glitter pots (which I cannot use, I get glitter EVERYWHERE) and the nail varnishes so obligatory mention.

GOSH:
    Love GOSH. Best eyeliners EVER. Brushes not bad either, though I'd give the blush brush a skip. Love all and any eyeshadow brushes I have of theirs. They don't have identifying numbers or anything so here's a crap description: I have two slanted brushes, one fine for eyeliner and one bigger one for the crease, have a short stumpy one for lashing on the shadow, all decent. No experience with MACs or anything so maybe they're rubbish and I don't realise it. I like the face primer, though I don't think it does anything remarkably dramatic. I also love their loose eyeshadow pots - of only they loved me back!!!

Max Factor:
    Not the biggest fan of theirs. I use the Pan Stik as a concealer and it's the job though! I like the little creamy blush things too, I have the really pink one and it comes out lovely on the face, a nice wash of colour that really perks me up. I have a couple of the long lasting lipsticks from them and while the colors are nice, the long lasting idea isn't the most flattering really.

Can't even think of other brands...I'm not gonna mention Maybelline because I don't like them, haven't used anything from them since I was about 15. No.7 is the same for me, I have their foundation and concealer brushes which are nice but as a make up brand - not massively interested. I don't have much experience with the really cheap brands so if someone else does I'd be really interested!!! I like catrice nail varnishes, colours are great but the consistency isn't, you'd need at least three coats for a decent colour. Don't know anything about the new brands in Boots like Une and Model's Own etc.

So! That's my 2c!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Loving L'oreal secrets primer.
    Its 10euro I think, and completely smooths out my complexion before putting on make-up. I have big pores on my cheeks and this works a treat. Highly recommend it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Essence stuff is fantastic, their twisty eyeliner is especially good

A like their lipglosses, their volumising mascara and their nailpolishes (with a topcoat they last for days) and of course the eyeliners. I've tried their concealer stick which was decent but a tad chalky.

Everything mentioned is less than €4 and definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

OP I'd agree with you on most of them. Have you ever tried Bourjois foundation? It's my favourite foundation ever, although it is quite light coverage so if you like the Revlon Colourstay you might not like it.

I like a lot of the 17 products, they're cheap but surprisingly good. I use their translucent powder, the blushes, the lipsticks and nail varnishes a lot. The eyeshadows are alright, they come out nicely over a decent base but they don't have the best selection. Only product of theirs I dislike is the mascaras, I find them useless.

I haven't decided yet how I feel about Essence, I hate their foundation, eyebrow kits and concealer but I quite like their eyeliners and nail varnishes.

No. 7 is probably my least favourite brand ever, I know it's aimed at women much older than me but seriously, why bother selling makeup if you're going to make it so bland and rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

The L'Oreal primer sounds good, I have pore problems too and I've tried pore minimisers (Clinique and Almay) and they don't do anything but smell like toner. Not very impressed. So I'll have to give it a lash! Does it smell nice? Or better yet, not smell at all?

I've tried Essence eyeliners, love the silver one! Tried an eyebrow pencil - crap. Best eyebrow pencil I've tried by far is the 17 one, though the colour is a bit ashy. I also love the 17 pencil sharpener, so good! I might have to take a look at the 17 powders if they're good, I've been looking for a nice one to add a bit of colour to my face (I'm a paley).

I have tried Bourjois foundation, I loved the 10 hour sleep effect one, especially that vacuum pump!! Have to say that Bourjois packaging makes good sense. Can't remember why I changed foundation! Have the healthy mix concealer and it's brilliant, on a good skin day I just wear some of that and Clinique's City Block (which is kind of a nothing product but it's always good to wear sunscreen I suppose) and it looks lovely! Been tempted by the foundation but I have loads of foundation knocking around so I'll wait until I'm in need and might go for it, especially if it smells like the concealer, mmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

I really like the new maybelline foundation, super stay i think its called, lasts well I think during the day. Their powders ect,, are all nice too. Mascara's can be great too with them. Oh and I love their mousse concealer, its so thick covers all my terrible bags under my eyes.

I like Rimmel for their sunshimmer, not amazing but always reliable! I have their eyebrow pencil, and a water proof eyeliner all decent enough.

No.7 have a nice mousse foundation I think anyway.

Have a few essence stuff and it's nice, especially their blotting paper!

Isadora eyeshadow can be quite decent, for pharmacy brands!

Wana try a L'oreal mascara now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

After spending almost €30 on Clinique foundation which just wouldn't stay on, I bought a bottle from ESSENCE one day, and it's really good, and only about €3. Their eyeliner and lipliner pencils are excellent too, and their undereye concealer is pretty good.

I like MAYBELLINE mascara, unfortunately it seems to dry out fairly quickly, but I find 'lash stilleto' very good.

BOOTS NO 7 cream/stick blusher. ABout €13, but lasts ages.

For lipgloss I like BOURJOIS, but BOOTS 17 do a really nice shade called 'In the nude' for about €5.

Nail polishes, generally RIMMEL or REVLON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I would have thrown a few L'Oreal products in here but I found out recently that they test on animals so I've thrown them all out. Shame, really liked a couple of their make up line but that's a big no no for me.

Otherwise, I've started using Revlon Colourstay again and really like it. I have to add moisturiser to it though as it's a bit too thick and gloopy for me otherwise. And I like a lot of Boots own Natural Collection, like the eyeliner, powder and blush. Mega cheap and even cheaper if you buy 3 together. I've also used Rimmel's concealer and nail varnish for years and usually get Maybelline mascara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Loving L'oreal secrets primer.
    Its 10euro I think, and completely smooths out my complexion before putting on make-up. I have big pores on my cheeks and this works a treat. Highly recommend it!!

Where did you see it for €10? Last time I checked Boots it was more like €20! It would be great if it was cheaper because I tried it in store and if felt amazing, would so buy it for €10.

Right, one that really shocked me... Penneys Makeup is fab! I bought the undereye concealer, the cheek highlighter, lipglosses with little lights on them and some mascara for 50c each and I love it all!

They also have cleansers, moisturisers and face scrubs which have tea tree oil in them and are fantastic, my face has really cleared up since I started using them. Also 50c each :D

The packaging is deadly too, like a soap and glory/ benefit ripoff
    The eyeshadows are crap though, and I wouldn't even try the foundations because they're super dark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Rimmel nail varnish - I love it.
    Max Factor False Lash Effect mascara.

• Advertisement

Where did you see it for €10? Last time I checked Boots it was more like €20! It would be great if it was cheaper because I tried it in store and if felt amazing, would so buy it for €10.

Oh crap now that I think, maybe it was 20e! Sorry guys, bought it with a few other things in boots so didn't really register the price. Or else I was tryingto convince myself that it was cheaper then it was :o:confused:

Its brill though worth the money I think, feels so nice on the skin and goes on really easily.

Silver spoon it doesnt smell of anythin and is like a mousse, it really is lovely stuff.

Also the St.Moritz tan in penneys for 4euro is fantastic.

Found it a bit tricky to put on though, says its a mousse but cmes out like a liquid at first. Nearly threw it out cos it went everywhere but glad I didn't because it really looks very natural on

Ye I second that for the only budget tan you need to bother with, first application be careful, but once you know how it's so simple!

I've the gosh primer, and I'm thinking I might just spend the extra few euro and get a proper one next time, like the l'oreal one I think it's just a little too expensive!

I don't like the rimmel varnish I have, maybe it's just bad luck but I hate mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I bought a collection 2000 trio of eyeshadows in boots at the weekend and I'm really happy with them.
    Lovely colours, lasting power,nice and not to glittery! Only €4 too...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

barbara daly pots of liquid foundation in tesco, cant remember the price but wil be going back to tesco when i run out. Only need a small blob, coverage is great (too much wil look greasy and streaky), works well with a foundation brush and takes powder well too. Had it months now. Although i dont use it everyday. Usually went with bourjois previously but find this one a lot lighter.

The issue I have with Collection 2000 is that it reminds me uncomfortably of Constance Carroll, a step too far on the economy buy scale. Not sure why. The quality of Collection 2000 is better I know but I can't shake it.

Over the weekend I had a sniff around Essence and Catrice stands in Dunnes and was pleasantly surprised by the Catrice Kajal Designer eyeliners, particularly in Amethyst and the grey colour. I got the concealer kit too, which I'm really impressed with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

www.everydayminerals.com is really good & very cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bambi2

I need a good powder for setting my make up and can't see the point in going for a dear brand for "just powder" can anyone recommend a good cheap-ish one? Pretty please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

+ 1 On the Essence eye liner the liquid and pencil are both incredible. I'm loving Rimmels Renew & Lift regenerating firming foundation with SPF 15 I seem to always go back to it after I try out others. For concealer I also use the Maxfactor Pan Stik I find it way too greasy for foundation but it is brilliant for hiding the odd blemish.

Bambi2 wrote: »
    I need a good powder for setting my make up and can't see the point in going for a dear brand for "just powder" can anyone recommend a good cheap-ish one? Pretty please

I love the Revlon one in the black case, it's E14.50 but great. Range of colours not huge but coverage nice without being chalky. Now, I don't know how much my opinion is worth since I have dry enough skin so didn't really wear it until maybe a year or two ago. And also I think that's pretty expensive for a powder. Have heard the Rimmel Clear Complexion one is decent too and probably a much better price. Rimmel powders in general are quite good actually!

• Advertisement

I like the 17 loose translucent powder. It's around €7 and perfectly good so long as you wear it over a decent foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I use Max Factor's Colour Adapt foundation, find it absolutely brilliant & great value.

The best nail varnishes are the Rimmel ones, the wide brushes are fool proof!!

I like a lot of the 17 eyeshadows, they're much more "night time"/disco-ey than a lot of the other brands which I find can be a bit safe. Gosh is good too for this kind of stuff but 17 is much cheaper.

I currently have a no.7 mascara but it's crap, I'm thinking of getting the Max Factor false lash effect one although might go back to my usual Benefit Bad Gal lash even if it is more expensive.

And I have to agree on the Essence stuff, dirt cheap and pretty good quality given the price.

I hardly have any make-up that isn't from Boots actually, apart from a few Benefit things (I know some branches of Boots do Benefit, but generally you can't get it there). I couldn't justify spending a fortune on one little thing of eyeshadow/nail varnish any time I buy one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I really like Max Factor's Creme Puff powder. I've only used the translucent version, but it's very nice. In fact, my sister stole it from me the other day and then couldn't help but mention how good it was on her! >_< It sells as a refill for some reason (never seen a non refill or a proper case of it), so it's about 8 euro I think.

I love love love Max Factor's Masterpiece mascara (another product usually found in my sister's makeup bag rather than mine.). Also I have a thing for Maybelline's Wonder Finish foundation, but I know a lot of people don't like it because it doesn't last all that long. I probably only like it because I don't really need that much coverage and often go without foundation :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I have a collection 2000 loose mineral powder and its very similar to my Mac Mineralised skinfinish - its loose though so no good for handbag - costs about €6

I find no.7 powders fine, usually I have a voucher right when I use up my last one so I always have a supply!

I need a new mascara, I'm such a Dior show blackout fan, but realistically can't afford it one bit :( Any suggestions on cheaper mascara's that have that kind of effect?

Miss Sporty Mascaras are really great I think, there's a black one with a pink lid which is absolutely brilliant. You can get them in boots for 3 or 4 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Bourjois clubbing eyeliner. Lasts me ages. I absolutely love it! I like their Une range too, for natural, organic beauty products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aldi, believe it or not! Their range is called 'Lacura'. It's a while since I bought the powder, so I'm not sure how much it was, but I think around €3 or €4. It's a compact powder though, not sure if it was a loose powder or compact you were looking for, but I find that one pretty good anyway.

Aldi, believe it or not! Their range is called 'Lacura'. It's a while since I bought the powder, so I'm not sure how much it was, but I think around €3 or €4. It's a compact powder though, not sure if it was a loose powder or compact you were looking for, but I find that one pretty good anyway.

Really?? Wow, might be good to have for my handbag then!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

The Aldi concealer is very good. Can't remember the price but it's about a fiver. I prefer it to my Clinique one and my YSL one so will definitely be repurchasing!
    See the Beaut.ie review:
    http://beaut.ie/blog/2009/lacura-concealer-pen-budget-tastic-brilliance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Shmatter wrote: »
    I find no.7 powders fine, usually I have a voucher right when I use up my last one so I always have a supply!

I need a new mascara, I'm such a Dior show blackout fan, but realistically can't afford it one bit :( Any suggestions on cheaper mascara's that have that kind of effect?

Shmatter I love essences multi action mascara, its only around 3 euro or less, it's fab and i'm a ysl faux cils girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I love my mineral makeup and used to use either Bare Minerals or jane Iredale...both pretty pricey! I found this other mineral make up on ebay recently. Its made by a nurse and i have found it just as good as Bare Minerals. Its called Funky Fresh and sooooo much cheaper!!

Has anyone tried the revlon listicks?

I got a lovely burgundy/deep berry colour yesterday, but when I put it on it was very gritty or something :( Really dissapointed its the perfect colour maybe it was because it wasthe first application?

Anyone else found this?

cc-offe wrote: »
    Shmatter I love essences multi action mascara, its only around 3 euro or less, it's fab and i'm a ysl faux cils girl!

I think I'm going to have to try the essence mascara's, every raves about them

Has anyone tried the revlon listicks?

I got a lovely burgundy/deep berry colour yesterday, but when I put it on it was very gritty or something :( Really dissapointed its the perfect colour maybe it was because it wasthe first application?

Anyone else found this?

I bought Revlon Black Cherry recently, from the description it sounds like it could be the same colour as you got. I love it! Mine applies smoothly, only problem is it doesn't last very long, so I layer it over MAC Russian Red and it lasts for hours. If yours stays gritty I'd say you got a dodgy one, try returning it.

Shmatter wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to try the essence mascara's, every raves about them

I bought the Multi Action one a few days ago, so far I really like it. Mine seems a little dry though, did anyone else find it a lot dryer than most mascaras? I suppose it's possible the one I got may have been opened before I bought it. Definitely give it a go, they're super cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Swear by the Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect foundation. Lasts all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bambi2

Loads of suggestions there,
    Thanks girls, I'll let you know how I fare!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

the bourjois 10 sleep effect foundation-whats the coverage like with that?
    im a Double Wear girl and love the coverage but i think its wrecking my skin.
    i love the Bourjois Healthy Complexion foundation, my skin feels like it can breathe with it but the coverage isnt great-too light for me

need something that wont give me spots but lasts and covers well...any ideas?

cmrm wrote: »
    the bourjois 10 sleep effect foundation-whats the coverage like with that?
    im a Double Wear girl and love the coverage but i think its wrecking my skin.
    i love the Bourjois Healthy Complexion foundation, my skin feels like it can breathe with it but the coverage isnt great-too light for me

need something that wont give me spots but lasts and covers well...any ideas?

10 hour sleep effect is lighter coverage than Healthy Mix. Try their new one, Bio Detox. It's got good coverage and it's made from mostly natural ingredients so hopefully it will be skin-friendly.

OK, have to report a new favourite with me! Bourjois kohl eyeliners, the ones with the brush 'sharpeners' at the end, are brilliant. I got the brown one but tested a few others on my hands. Well, I have never come across an eyeliner to apply colour so well to the waterline. I normally find it hard to get an eyeliner to show up when I apply it there, and it does the job perfectly, amazing. Cannot recommend enough!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I really like bourjois 10 hour sleep effect foundation (aslong as powder is applied over). I find it gives good coverage and comes in nice shades. And is reasonably priced (€13-15).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

cc-offe wrote: »

hi! where can i buy the essences multi action mascara? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

There's an essence stand in most Penneys at the moment and in some Dunnes as well.

Yep it's in dunnes and some sam mccauley pharmacies, it's in a pink and black tube!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I got the Multi-Action mascara today, love it!

I got the Multi-Action mascara today, love it!

Isn't it fab Livingdeadgirl? There used to be a white primer that I used to use with it but don't know if it's still available, It's so cheap that I always buy 3 or 4 of the mascaras so I always have a fresh one to use if I was going away or something like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I bought some Avon stuff last week and I am loving it, a mascara ( no smudging!!) eyeliner (2 ended) and a cheek/lip stick all for 7.50 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Do people buy the pink or green Multi Action mascara? I think the green one has false lash effect but i'm just wondering which one is it that people are raving about?:)

I use the pink....didn't know there was a green multi action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

My last eyeshadow was the Essence Multi Action (Black and Pink Tube) and I thought it was excellent! I became quite snobbery on my last shopping trip and decided a €3 mascara couldn't be much good so I bought a Maybelline one and a Rimmell one - well they are both rubbish - the Rimmel one especially!
    So as soon as I see a chemist or penneys that sells essence I'll be back to buy the Multi Action!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement