Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014- where to start?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So im starting into LC on the 29th and i have no idea how to start with any of it, i was never very good with the studying thing and really want the best points i can get before college (if i can get in). Art is my thing, i want to be a tattoo artist but the way to go about doing that is through graphic design, i cant help but worry about how many points im gonna get, how to study so it sticks and how to not lose focus on my subjects. my summer results for 5th year were pathetic and man do i need help. Advice would be amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

You sound somewhat worried!! I'm going into 6th year too, and honestly I think everyone is a little nervous (whether they admit it or not!) I think you can get apprenticeships to do tattoo art with some local tattoo artists, there doesn't seem to be any specific course. I think you need to set out a rigid timetable for the school year, if supervised study isn't an option to you. Come home, study, eat, study some more or something along those lines! I find it really hard to focus too, just try to avoid procrastinating and DO NOT listen to music while studying. Research shows the brain cannot recall more than 90% of the information studied without the aid of the song you were listening to. I need 530 and I dunno how I'm going to do it. Just think of the great future you will have if you try for just 9 more months! It's just 9 months compared to a whole life of enjoying your work. Think about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leto_Danii

yeah you can get apprenticeships but theres a total of 2 tattoo studios up here , all fully staffed and a bit snobby (im not gonna lie) uninterested in teaching the trade.
    i didnt know that about music, probably where im going wrong, recalling sevenfold lyrics instead of my subjects... thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TripShip

Do 6 honour subjects incl maths and you're sorted. The average points of someone doing 6 honours including maths is around 450-460. You're ****ed the moment you have less than 6 honours and you're especially ****ed if you don't have honours maths.
    In addition do NOT listen to your guidance counsellors and teachers about your career options and subject choice/level.

tl;dr: Do 6 honour subjects where maths is one of them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

TripShip wrote: »
    Do 6 honour subjects incl maths and you're sorted. The average points of someone doing 6 honours including maths is around 450-460. You're ****ed the moment you have less than 6 honours and you're especially ****ed if you don't have honours maths.
    In addition do NOT listen to your guidance counsellors and teachers about your career options and subject choice/level.

How do you know the average is 450/460?

crow2 wrote: »
    How do you know the average is 450/460?

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=st&sc=r13 Leaving cert higher level gender stats. Work out the averages of each subject that you're doing.

Look at Irish for example. 50% of people get a B3 or higher and vice-versa. Therefore the average points for HL irish are 75. Most subjects are around C1 average which works out to be around 450: i.e. 70x6 + 25= 445. Some subjects have really high averages like applied maths. Play by the statistics and you'll do well, it's what I did :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Leto_Danii

i am doing 6 honors but maths is not one of them, im in foundation because i just cant hack it, what do you suggest now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Motel_face

You certainty do not need higher maths to do well at all, in fact you don't need 6 honours subject either.
    I just received my LC results and managed to clock up 485 with ordinary maths and ordinary irish.
    I did two ordinary subjects to allow me to focus 100% on my other ones.
    I also recommend LCVP if your school do it as it gives 70 points if you can achieve a distinction, which i did. This allowed me to leave out both my ordinary subjects when calculating points.
    DO NOT burn yourself out first few months, take it slow; do your homework every night and study for class tests and it will all come together in the end.
    I also highly suggest getting a very good filing system at home for all your subject notes, previous test etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Leto_Danii wrote: »
    i am doing 6 honors but maths is not one of them, im in foundation because i just cant hack it, what do you suggest now?
    I would suggest you don't pay too much attention to people on the internet who think they know it all (which includes myself, for that matter :D).

If someone is good at maths and can cope with honours maths, it's a nice bonus, of course it is. If, as you say, you can't hack it, there's no point attempting it.

You're certainly not ****ed with less than 6 honours subjects including honours maths, that's just ridiculous. Ofc, the less honours subjects you have, the lower the ceiling on the maximum points you can achieve, but you can still achieve a really good score with fewer than 6 honours subjects.

And in reality, the important thing is not how many points you get, but whether you get the points you need for the course you want!

If the course you want is 320 points on CAO offers day, and you have 325, you will be as happy as the proverbial pig in shít; if you have 570 points and the course you want is 575, you will be miserable. It's that simple really; take a look at the "Waiting for CAO offers" thread from last night and you'll see lots of examples of what I mean.

As to guidance counsellors, in my experience some are excellent, some are poor and most, as in any profession, fall in between those two extremes. You'll have an idea yourself as to how good the one in your school is. Listen to them and to your teachers, and weigh up what they suggest, but certainly don't take what they say as the word of god; even the very best guidance counsellors and teachers sometimes get it wrong ... and the best ones know it and admit it, too!

As to studying, everyone finds their own way that suits themselves, but a few basic bits of advice:

* Do your homework from Day 1, and try to do it well. It will structure what you're doing, and help to keep you focused.

* When you're studying, study. You'll learn more in 20 minutes concentrating than you will in an hour sitting looking blankly at the book / hopping on and off Facebook or, perish the thought, even Boards. Avoid distractions. Finding a quiet spot to study can help.

* When you're studying, read over the chapter / section, then close the book and try to write down the main points on a sheet of paper. Not only will this focus your mind, and give you an idea of how you're getting on, but you're mentally going over the material a second time. Be warned: if you're not used to doing this, you probably won't do well at first; but as you train your mind it will gradually become easier. Stick at it.

* When you're finished for the night, be finished. Put the books away; relax; do something nice for a while before you go to bed so that you sleep.

* General things: Try to get a decent night's sleep. Take at least some bit of exercise regularly; it doesn't have to be very strenuous if you're not the sporty type, even a brisk 15 minute walk in the open air every day will help to clear your head. Have a social life; don't let it take over, but don't neglect it either; it's important to keep you sane and well-balanced.

Motel_face wrote: »
    You certainty do not need higher maths to do well at all, in fact you don't need 6 honours subject either.
    I just received my LC results and managed to clock up 485 with ordinary maths and ordinary irish.
    I did two ordinary subjects to allow me to focus 100% on my other ones.
    I also recommend LCVP if your school do it as it gives 70 points if you can achieve a distinction, which i did. This allowed me to leave out both my ordinary subjects when calculating points.
    DO NOT burn yourself out first few months, take it slow; do your homework every night and study for class tests and it will all come together in the end.
    I also highly suggest getting a very good filing system at home for all your subject notes, previous test etc.

You did 8 subjects though which allowed you to disregard those two ordinary courses. Anyway obviously you can do well without 6 honours but imo requires more effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Look at Irish for example. 50% of people get a B3 or higher and vice-versa. Therefore the average points for HL irish are 75. Most subjects are around C1 average which works out to be around 450: i.e. 70x6 + 25= 445. Some subjects have really high averages like applied maths. Play by the statistics and you'll do well, it's what I did :D

Funnily enough, I wrote an applet and released a website that does exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

490, 7 subjects, OL Maths

Where there's a will there's a way!

yoho139 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I wrote an applet and released a website that does exactly that.

Fair play! It doesn't recognise maths bonus points though :)

Fair play! It doesn't recognise maths bonus points though :)

There's a separate subject called Project Maths (H) exactly for that purpose, but its use comes with a few caveats, if you read the text under the applet on the main page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Study for your orals. Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

shootie wrote: »

NEVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

English paper 1 on june 4th

0mega wrote: »
    English paper 1 on june 4th

I like your style.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

shootie wrote: »
    Days 298 wrote: »
    NEVER!!!
    Languages are not the best thing to leave to the last minute / try to cram tbh. ;)

Advertisement