Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR 2013 Higher Education Access Route

Options
  • 22-06-2013 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I searched and couldn't find one of these threads so excuse me if one already exists. If one does, could someone point me in it's direction? :)
    Anyway, I get the feeling I'm not eligible.
    When do we get told the outcome?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Should know before the end of the month as far as I know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Should know before the end of the month as far as I know :)

I know. It's just I am heading away from the summer on tuesday! I hope to know before then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Last year we got them on the 2nd of July. Hopefully it'll be earlier this year!

Flabangav wrote: »
    Last year we got them on the 2nd of July. Hopefully it'll be earlier this year!

Did your course reduce by much? :D

Did your course reduce by much? :D

I didn't actually qualify, but i think I should this time!

• Advertisement

I didn't actually qualify, but i think I should this time!

Oh right :D
    Best of luck!
    What course do you want? :D

Oh right :D
    Best of luck!
    What course do you want? :D

Thanks, you too :)

Veterinary medicine, what about you?

I'd love to know if it was reduced by much!

Thanks, you too :)

Veterinary medicine, what about you?

I'd love to know if it was reduced by much!

Cool! Medicine for me! Yeah i haven't a clue for either! how'd the exams go?

Cool! Medicine for me! Yeah i haven't a clue for either! how'd the exams go?

I thought they went pretty well, but it still probably wasnt good enough :/ how did they go for you?

I thought they went pretty well, but it still probably wasnt good enough :/ how did they go for you?

Yeah well that's good!
    some went well, others not so much-chem! :P

• Advertisement

Yeah I wasn't too happy with chemistry either!

My guidance counsellor rang one of the colleges recently and either
    1. They will be posted on Wednesday or
    2. They will get to us on Wednesday.

I can't remember exactly which one they said

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

A boy I know a couple of years ago got 90 points through HEAR to get in to his course. Although I'm eligible and fairly happy about it, at the same time I'd feel bad for anyone that missed out on that course because someone got a massive points bonus just because of HEAR..

Legion. wrote: »
    A boy I know a couple of years ago got 90 points through HEAR to get in to his course. Although I'm eligible and fairly happy about it, at the same time I'd feel bad for anyone that missed out on that course because someone got a massive points bonus just because of HEAR..

There are places reserved for HEAR. No one misses out on their course because of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Oh, my bad. My conscience is clear then.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Are all courses reduced by a certain % or is it all dependent on the qualification criteria?

When/if you qualify will it tell you then how many points you get towards the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

If they're not posted out before the 1st of July, (closing date, Change of Mind on CAO), I would ring up and they'll tell you over the phone if you've gotten it or not.
    That's what I did last year. ;)

jessiejam wrote: »
    Are all courses reduced by a certain % or is it all dependent on the qualification criteria?

When/if you qualify will it tell you then how many points you get towards the course?

It is all dependent on the amount of HEAR places in that course and who applied for it and is eligible for HEAR. E.g. If 3 people apply for two spots, the two with the highest points will be given the spot. (One may need to have points reduced and one may not need it)

This is my understanding of the system anyway.

No, If you get enough points, the reduced points place wont be taken by you. So if the points are 400. There are 5 people eligible for HEAR and two spots, one has 405, the other 400, the other 390, the other 350 and the other 345. Everyone will get in apart from the 345. the ones who got enough points don't use up the places but avail of the other services. This is my understanding anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

does anyone have a rough idea,on how many points they'll reduce for medicine?

• Advertisement

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    does anyone have a rough idea,on how many points they'll reduce for medicine?

They don't have power over how many they reduce it. Its all based on who's applied and their points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

They don't have power over how many they reduce it. Its all based on who's applied and their points etc.

thanks! i thought someone might have an acquaintance who got in last year with hear and would know how many points it reduced for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I've heard of several people getting NUIG with 700-705.

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    thanks! i thought someone might have an acquaintance who got in last year with hear and would know how many points it reduced for them

See it would be different every year! Some years a HEAR applicant may miss out by 5 points but get Medicine due to there being a spot. Some years they could miss out by 25 and still get it. Just depends on how many HEAR applicants are competing with you for a spot I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

^Yeah, I'd say it can fluctuate a lot more seeing as there are so few HEAR spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

If they're not posted out before the 1st of July, (closing date, Change of Mind on CAO), I would ring up and they'll tell you over the phone if you've gotten it or not.
    That's what I did last year. ;)

I called them today and she wouldn't tell me if I did or not, She said I had to wait for the letter on thursday/friday.

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    I called them today and she wouldn't tell me if I did or not, She said I had to wait for the letter on thursday/friday.

It's a letter ? Or is it email?

It's a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Just Breathe

I got my letter today & i'm eligible! :) Anyone care to explain to me how it works?:P

• Advertisement

Got the letter aswell today :)

Advertisement