Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home networking problem with 2 routers on the same landline

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I have with my home network. You see I have 2 computers one in my room and one in my kitchen. The problem is that the 2 computers are too far away from each other to recieve wireless connection off of one router and anyway one of the computers hasn't got a wireless card. :(

I've got it working so that one computer is getting the internet from one router which is connected to the phone point in my room, and the other is getting the internet off of another router in the kitchen, which is connected to another phone point too. The internet is being provided by the same internet provider to both routers.

The problem is that when both the computer in the kitchen and my own computer in my room are trying to recieve the internet at the same time neither actually gets to go on to the net, and it is as if they are both are blocking each other from getting on :mad:!! The makes of both routers are Netopia routers.

Can anyone help me to resolve the problem. I want to be able to let both computers be on the internet at the same time from the same phone line using 2 different routers.

Any help would be much appriciated!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Run some CAT5 cable ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

maxcelt wrote: »

Can anyone help me to resolve the problem. I want to be able to let both computers be on the internet at the same time from the same phone line using 2 different routers.

Any help would be much appriciated!!:D

You cannot use two ADSL modems on the same phone line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

as already mentioned you can't connect two adsl routers/modems to the one dsl line, it won't work.
    just use cat5 or wireless to the second PC from one of the routers, disconnect the other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or a powerline ethernet adaptor. http://www.misco.ie/search/~query~powerline~/index.htm

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

maxcelt wrote: »
    and it is as if they are both are blocking each other from getting on :mad:!!

That's exactly what it is.

Lidl have the ethernet power-line plugs tomorrow, 80 euro for a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

+1 for what they said about 2x modems on 1x phoneline. never gonna happen.

BUT you'd be surprised how many different ways you could solve your problem.

running cat5e is the best way to do it, but if your house is anything like mine that's likely to be impossible to do without it looking ugly with exposed cables, although this could be lessened with flat cables which look like slightly thic sticky tape and can be run anywhere and even under carpet or painted or wallpapered over if needed. predictably this will be more expensive than stanrd cable though, so it depends on how much you want to spend.

if you're 100% sure your wireless won't reach all the way to the second PC then a wireless repeater about halfway, might give you enough of a boost to wirelessly bridge the gap between the PC and router.

Even an internal wifi card with a large detachable antenna might be all you'd need, it'll give you much better range than a usb wifi dongle with an internal antenna.

the ethernet over electrical cable idea mentioned previously is another option, but they're still pretty expensive. google for 'homeplug' and yoiu'll find them. they come as a pair and you just plug one into the nearest socket to whatever you want to network together and plug in the network cables and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A wifi repeater or a mimo equipped wifi router and pc card is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah a MIMO router would be a much better option as they traditionally have a higher broadcast radius than standard wifi routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maxcelt

Thank you everyone who posted a reply to my networking question. I have everything I need to know now and I've tried some of the possible solutions. Thankfully I got it working by running long cat5 cables however I'm going to try to boost the signal of the wireless and try to get it to work that way.

Thank's again for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Or a powerline ethernet adaptor. http://www.misco.ie/search/~query~powerline~/index.htm

MC
    I think these are a great idea! how well do they work? What are the speeds like?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I think these are a great idea! how well do they work? What are the speeds like?!

In theory you can push about 85Mbps over the lan but in reality it's more like 50/60.

Advertisement