Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network hard disk / NAS that supports NFS?

• 19-09-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any? I've been looking on Komplett at all the NAS and network drives but they all seem to be Samba based. I'm looking for one to use on a Linux network at home - I don't want to have to install Samba if I can avoid it. And I'd prefer NFS anyway so I can mount it locally on my HTPC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=365605

Great box - NFS, CIFS, Samba, FTP and you can install a webserver on it also if you wish. Got one myself, very nice piece of kit!

EDIT: Just noticed they are temporarily out of stock, would be worth hanging on for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That does look nice. What's it like noise-wise - that looks like a big fan in the pic.

The fan is thermally controlled - when the box is idle, there's a very faint hum off it from the hard disk's idling but under heavy load, the fan ramps up full whack and can be quite noisy, makes a fairly loud whine. Not difficult to put it under heavy load either - it's got Gigabit ethernet on it so transfer speeds can fly along if you have a gigabit ethernet network. It's very similar to fan noise off a PS2 when the NAS is running hot (closest thing I can compare it to).

It's only 100Mb Ethernet but I'll be using it for video streaming to my HTPC. It'll be upstairs tho so it shouldn't be a problem. Is the fan replacable? I have spare 100mm and a 70mm fans handy that are quiet.

It is AFAIK, I will double check for you later. If noise is an issue, you're able to manually override the fan speed to either Low or High via a jumper on the system board - at low speed it is barely audible over the noise of the hard disk drive(s). Probably wouldn't prevent even light sleepers from getting to sleep over the noise from it. Bear in mind though, that your hard disks may run quite hot so you would want to keep an eye on temperatures if you do go with this NAS or you could be sending the drive(s) to an early grave!!!

• Advertisement

Before I go ordering anything what do you think of this?

A mate is in Chicago at the moment so I may get him to pick one up for me. ~€185 including two Hitachi Deskstar 500Gb disks.

Specs wise it seems to be the exact same as the IcyBox - BitTorrent client, iTunes/uPnP server/Samba/NFS/CIFS/FTP/SSH all built in.

Advertisement