Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Find me a BMW E39 5 Series

Options
  • 22-09-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭

Alright lads, it's finally my time to buy and I'm looking for the right car, here's the spec I'd prefer:

Cruise Control
    Multi-Function Steering Wheel
    Dual Zone Climate Control
    Leather Interior
    Estate/Touring

Spec doesn't overly bother me but I would like to have cruise at the very least. Not opposed to Auto's but would prefer Manual, same story with versions, M-Sport preferred but would be perfectly happy with an SE. Cars in Munster would be ideal as I'm finding Dublin a bit of a trek cost and time wise.

Budget for the car is €2000, must have NCT, preferably for at least 4/5 months.

Also, no Diesels around here, Petrol only!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Alright lads, it's finally my time to buy and I'm looking for the right car, here's the spec I'd prefer:

Cruise Control
    Multi-Function Steering Wheel
    Dual Zone Climate Control
    Leather Interior
    Estate/Touring

Spec doesn't overly bother me but I would like to have cruise at the very least. Not opposed to Auto's but would prefer Manual, same story with versions, M-Sport preferred but would be perfectly happy with an SE.

Budget for the car is €2000, must have NCT, preferably for at least 4/5 months.

Also, no Diesels around here, Petrol only!

Thanks!
    http://touch.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/2002-bmw-5-series-for-sale/6447230?utm_campaign=featured_ads&utm_medium=link&utm_source=homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Spec isn't great at all for the price, looks nice all the same though.

ye and the fact he is offering warranty and it's taxed is a big plus too .I would of taught

massy086 wrote: »
    ye and the fact he is offering warranty and it's taxed is a big plus too .I would of taught

It definitely is but I'd rather spend the extra bit he's asking on spec rather than tax :p

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

OP's choice will be limited. On Autotrader UK, I could find only 12 cars that meet your requirements on transmission, fuel, body style, and age:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/bmw/5_series/postcode/sm14tp/radius/1501/body-type/estate/transmission/manual/fuel-type/petrol/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/sort/default/onesearchad/used

On Autotrader Ireland website, I could find only 1 E39 with those transmission, fuel, and body style options:

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/results?searchsource=quick&channel=CARS&cacheBuster=1411374015035996&make_model=BMW%7C5%20Series&body=Estate&legacy_url=y#nParam%3D4294911135%252B102549%252B200591%252B200293%252B200303%252B102455%252B200253%26sortby%3DMake%7C0%26channel%3DCARS%26currency%3DEUROS%26searchResultsView%3DTHUMBNAIL%26maxrows%3D10

If OP could be flexible about transmission and perhaps fuel, there would be be a greater range of cars to choose.

The harsh reality is that 5, 6, and 7 series buyers tend to expect automatic transmissions. Same applies to equivalent cars from Audi, Mercedes, and Lexus.

OP might have more joy finding E46 3 series touring cars with manual transmissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you were to find a good solid one that didn't have the spec you wanted bits can be retrofitted. There's a lot of parts floating about there.

If you were to find a good solid one that didn't have the spec you wanted bits can be retrofitted. There's a lot of parts floating about there.

Yeah especially when it comes to cruise/MFSW, I wouldn't be paying two grand for one without it though really.

@FMCG, Manual and estate is only preferable, I'd still happily take a saloon, still has to be petrol though!

@FMCG, Manual and estate is only preferable, I'd still happily take a saloon, still has to be petrol though!

OK but you did state estate/touring in your original post.

E39 saloons with automatic transmission will be plentiful. As soon as you start talking about manual transmission and estate body style, the choice starts to narrow. You might have more joy finding E46 6 cylinder cars with manual transmission.

OK but you did state estate/touring in your original post.

E39 saloons with automatic transmission will be plentiful. As soon as you start talking about manual transmission and estate body style, the choice starts to narrow. You might have more joy finding E46 6 cylinder cars with manual transmission.

Estates were also preferable in the OP ;)

It probably would be easier to get an e46 with the spec I want but they go for a good bit more and they're not what I'm looking for.

Estates were also preferable in the OP ;)

It probably would be easier to get an e46 with the spec I want but they go for a good bit more and they're not what I'm looking for.

OP: People contributing to this thread are only trying to help you. You need to be specific about about the car you want to buy and be more precise and explicit about the things the car must have versus things that would be nice to have.

• Advertisement

OP: People contributing to this thread are only trying to help you. You need to be specific about about the car you want to buy and be more precise and explicit about the things the car must have versus things that would be nice to have.

That's the thing, I'd be happy with pretty much any of them, I just wouldn't expect to pay 2K for a completely base one with Auto, 1000-1500 fair enough.

Basically I'd be looking for one with most of the spec for 2K and then around 1500 or so for lower spec models. Like was said before, if the car's solid, most can be retrofitted later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

If only there were a nice Imola red manual 525i M Sport in great nick going for sale, just a little bit above budget, by a former poster here......

If only there were a nice Imola red manual 525i M Sport in great nick going for sale, just a little bit above budget, by a former poster here......

The recent event that happened to it has thrown me off it a bit tbh, it also still needs a bit of work. Not having any real history with it either past its current owner doesn't sit well with me either, especially on that sort of car.

The recent event that happened to it has thrown me off it a bit tbh, it also still needs a bit of work. Not having any real history with it either past its current owner doesn't sit well with me either, especially on that sort of car.

Wasn't that just a water pump?
    Anyway, I've driven the car and was considering buying it as a daily to LPG before I bought big bird. You can't really expect FBMWSH on a sub 2k car. At that level most people will just service the car themselves.

Wasn't that just a water pump?
    Anyway, I've driven the car and was considering buying it as a daily to LPG before I bought big bird. You can't really expect FBMWSH on a sub 2k car. At that level most people will just service the car themselves.

I'm not sure of the specifics of what happened, it just worried me. I know having a FBMWSH is not expected at 2K but I'd like some sort of recent paper trail/receipts from the previous owners.

This one looks nice, albeit without MFSW and what looks to be without Dual Zone but it is cheaper than the Imola one, still a Manual, lower mileage and has a claimed "Good" service history.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e39/7559655

How about this... looks good money for the spec
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-for-sale/7552716

Edit:
    This is the one to go for..
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...-10-14/7175148

Doesn't look too bad at all, wheels aren't that great to me, but they're certainly not terrible. Might give him a text about interior pictures.

The second one is asking a fair bit for a pre-facelift 2.8, great spec though but if I was doing 2.8 tax I'd probably just get a 530i, not right now though.

I'm not sure of the specifics of what happened, it just worried me. I know having a FBMWSH is not expected at 2K but I'd like some sort of recent paper trail/receipts from the previous owners.

This one looks nice, albeit without MFSW and what looks to be without Dual Zone but it is cheaper than the Imola one, still a Manual, lower mileage and has a claimed "Good" service history.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e39/7559655

That one looks a good example, nice interior (and updated gear shifter)

MFSW is not so common on e39s, but didn't DGT say it could be retrofitted?

Doesn't look too bad at all, wheels aren't that great to me, but they're certainly not terrible. Might give him a text about interior pictures.

The second one is asking a fair bit for a pre-facelift 2.8, great spec though but if I was doing 2.8 tax I'd probably just get a 530i, not right now though.

The first one has been for sale for a while judging by the "still for sale" comment. Get it down to 1200 and pick up some m-para alloys from a breaker or ebay, if you wanted, and it's graaand.

The 528i looks great spec, and isnt that much more tax than a 525i, probably similar mpg too. And it's got the MFSW!

If you were to turn to the oily side:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-2-9-litre-diesel/7218537

Damn it this thread has me looking at e39's
    I'll be getting a new daily in about 4-6 months (after the fiesta has done its job), so an e39 530d would be towards the top of that list.

• Advertisement

The 520i in Monaghan is 4 hours away, that's 8 hours by car for me, big cost.

528i is similar to 530i for tax and insurance for me so if I was going that size it'd be a 530.

With regards the 525i M-Sport, yeah MFSW can usually be retrofitted easily and if not you can get the loom for around 100 from BMW themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

qtr9wvgsujidg5zri4im.gif

Edit: Buy my Volvo shurre

The 520i in Monaghan is 4 hours away, that's 8 hours by car for me, big cost.

528i is similar to 530i for tax and insurance for me so if I was going that size it'd be a 530.

With regards the 525i M-Sport, yeah MFSW can usually be retrofitted easily and if not you can get the loom for around 100 from BMW themselves.

Fair enough on the 528i I guess, different for me for insurance as I'm over 25 so maybe I discounted that from the equation.

I'd say you should get a 525i minimum. 520i (especially the 2.0 variants) are not in the same league as its bigger brothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

2004 Skoda Superb,
    2.8 V6 manual,
    Ex-police, Irish reg,
    133,000 miles,
    No NCT or tax,
    Excellent condition inside + out,
    Drives lovely; lots of power,
    €1800 no offers.

10688000_304880556363668_5162239132215758823_o.jpg

@SG ??

@SG ??

He's trolling, I may have mentioned to him that I wouldn't mind a Mk2 Superb and here he is :pac:. An E34 is what I'm planning on getting as a project.

To be honest, the 2.2 would do me fine, 170 is loads for me anyway, I wouldn't be bothered with 2.0 520's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

NCT out 6 months. Meh! :)

unkel wrote: »
    NCT out 6 months. Meh! :)

Priced accordingly though eh

• Advertisement

What do you take me for, a farmer? I don't in the slightest need a diesel doing 10 miles a day. If I was paying 3.0 tax it'd be on a 530i.

Advertisement