Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove guest WC for storage?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

We are buying a 3 bedroom duplex; ground floor has separate kitchen, combined dining/ living room, under stair storage (bottom half of suitcase) and a guest WC.

The upstairs includes 3 bedrooms (main bedroom with ensuite) and family bathroom, plus boiler closet with 50% storage. No attic.

OH wants to remove the toilet fixtures in the downstairs guest WC to create a storage closet. I don't, as I don't want visitors trekking up and down the stairs to use the bathroom.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Every house should have a downstairs loo in my opinion. If you have kids or elderly relative visiting, it makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

johnayo wrote: »
    Every house should have a downstairs loo in my opinion. If you have kids or elderly relative visiting, it makes life easier.

+1

I have 3 kids and the thought of them trooping up and down the stairs (if we had no downstairs toilet) would drive me around the twist. Essential if you have visitors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

It'll drive me around the bend too, and my very unscientific Facebook poll agrees too. At least if you a downstairs loo, you can be prepared for unexpected visitors quickly enough but sending them upstairs opens the whole house up for inspection.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Tell the other half to stay in the kitchen :)
    It seems like a hell of a lot of work for storage,

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

It seems like a hell of a lot of work for storage,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Keep it! Would retain a higher property value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm pretty sure a downstairs toilet is needed in new builds at least for disability building regulations. Practically, if anybody elderly or disabled calls around it would be really regrettable to not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Keep the toilet. If your family gets bigger over the years I promise you will be glad you kept it every single morning with everyone running around getting ready for school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I actually got rid of storage space in my house downstairs and installed a toilet and basin. Best thing I ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

vinnie13 wrote: »

I have to admit, when the other half does go in the kitchen he makes a good dinner :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement