Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th & 6th Year nerves

Options
  • 18-08-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

So, I just finished 4th year there in June and I'm starting 5th year in a a week and a bit. Thing is, I'm really nervous about starting. I'm worried I won't perform in certain subjects and I'll struggle with the workload (I'm doing English Irish Maths, German, 3 sciences and App. Maths as an extra subject). I'm considering dropping Honours Irish because of App. Maths just to lighten the work load in general.

Does anyone have any honest advice about 5th year, like the work load, and what sort of study should be put in? I'm especially interested in how people found English, I'm probably dreading that the most. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alan_007_

Kev_M wrote: »
    So, I just finished 4th year there in June and I'm starting 5th year in a a week and a bit. Thing is, I'm really nervous about starting. I'm worried I won't perform in certain subjects and I'll struggle with the workload (I'm doing English Irish Maths, German, 3 sciences and App. Maths as an extra subject). I'm considering dropping Honours Irish because of App. Maths just to lighten the work load in general.

Does anyone have any honest advice about 5th year, like the work load, and what sort of study should be put in? I'm especially interested in how people found English, I'm probably dreading that the most. Thanks!

Seriously, don't worry about 5'th year too much. The worst part is probably the first month, where you're settling back into the routine of classes and homework. If you do all of your homework every night, and study enough for any tests you have coming up, you shouldn't go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kev_M

Alan_007_ wrote: »
    Seriously, don't worry about 5'th year too much. The worst part is probably the first month, where you're settling back into the routine of classes and homework. If you do all of your homework every night, and study enough for any tests you have coming up, you shouldn't go too far wrong.

Thanks, appreciate it! Any advice on English specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I always found English the hardest but i think its because i never practiced , once you start doing essays (even once a week) and getting your teacher to correct them and give advice you will definitely start to improve.You will learn how important layout is in fifth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

For English, the best thing you can do is to practice writing: for paper 1, practice comprehensions, get to grips with QBs, obviously practice all the different essay styles- ask your teacher to correct your extra work in his/her own time using past marking schemes, focus on the corrections/critique and you'll soon get an idea of your strengths/weaknesses, and how you can build on/combat these.
    For paper 2, it's important to know your texts and poetry/poets really well. Focus on choosing significant quotes, building character profiles, analysing relationships between characters, becoming comfortable with writing on various themes etc.
    Really though the most important thing is to listen in class and ask questions if things aren't making sense, do your homework consistently, correct mistakes in homework and tests, and make quality notes that will help you closer to the exam.
    It's a good sign that you are planning this far ahead, a bit of dedication goes a long way!

Cheers lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

I did the same subjects as you for my LC, its really pretty grand. I had similar worries about english but I was way off, LC english is really easy to do decently in with no great effort, got a B3 myself and left out the whole poetry section, and had a shockingly bad teacher! If you have a good understanding of maths it greatly helps physics (which is ridiculously easy in comparison to the other 2) and chemistry. You can only benefit from studying app. maths, fantastic subject and a shame more don't do it, but meh. Just be consistent in the workload, majority of your subjects are more based on understanding than rote learning but obviously there is some of that too.

Ompala wrote: »
    I did the same subjects as you for my LC, its really pretty grand. I had similar worries about english but I was way off, LC english is really easy to do decently in with no great effort, got a B3 myself and left out the whole poetry section, and had a shockingly bad teacher! If you have a good understanding of maths it greatly helps physics (which is ridiculously easy in comparison to the other 2) and chemistry. You can only benefit from studying app. maths, fantastic subject and a shame more don't do it, but meh. Just be consistent in the workload, majority of your subjects are more based on understanding than rote learning but obviously there is some of that too.

Cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

I wouldn't drop Irish, Whilst you can still apply to Trinity you won't be able to apply to any NUI's suchas Maynooth or UCD. It's also very useful to have a Backup. Don't stress about fifth year, Sixth year is meant for that, I wish you the best mate

BittaTrig wrote: »
    I wouldn't drop Irish, Whilst you can still apply to Trinity you won't be able to apply to any NUI's suchas Maynooth or UCD. It's also very useful to have a Backup. Don't stress about fifth year, Sixth year is meant for that, I wish you the best mate

I'm talking about dropping to pass not dropping the subject completely
    *Edit*
    ...and I'm pretty sure the NUIs only call for a C in pass Irish, correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

*Edit*
    ...and I'm pretty sure the NUIs only call for a C in pass Irish, correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah, You're right but just as long as you keep Irish, I believe you only need a pass, I did for UCD anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

*Edit*

Yeah I'd drop it if you are aren't counting it for points, given your subject choices I think its safe to say you are going down the science /maths route so honours Irish isn't going to help you at all in the future!

Advertisement