Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Laptops?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

What sort of specs should I be needing? Don't need anything fancy just a bit of Internet here and there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What course? It could be a case that all you need is powerpoint and maybe excel or word etc and you could get away with a basic netbook.

OR just get a Mac and leave that dirty windows shít behind and watch it burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

stetyrrell wrote: »

im no computer fan, but i know that this is goin to stir some sh1t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Campus.ie has some discounts/offers

If its just for Internet, how about a tablet
    Love the Nexus 7

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Google-strongNexus-7-32GB-WiFi/238671/328.0

New one is due out soon with some nice updates

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

What course? It could be a case that all you need is powerpoint and maybe excel or word etc and you could get away with a basic netbook.

Starting law in mid September so id imagine a lot of research and essays etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Starting law in mid September so id imagine a lot of research and essays etc

make sure ya get a nice keyboard so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

If it's a course where microsoft programs such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint are the focus - a high end machine is not required as these can run with little system resources

If you are involved in courses such as audio visual or architecture which often uses a program called AutoCAD a powerful computer will be required to generate advanced buildings and models

Tablet's rarely have full blown applications such as microsoft office, so a laptop with Windows or Mac OSX is recommended for college for compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i give this advice.

get a good processor , id recommend an i5 intel
    id go for a tough brand , id recommend Lenovo.

will you be bringing it back and forth from uni?
    if so , a metal casing and portability/battery life

sitting in the digs?
    larger screen and bulkier machine

check a few machines out in currys etc , get a feel for the keyboard , the weight , strength of it and of course general aesthetics.

pay €550+ for a decent machine and it will do for 3-4 years.
    buy the cheapest model in currys and your work will suffer and youll be buying again in 1-2 years.
    pick a machine and search online for the best price.

id recommend this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Ideapad-15-6-inch-Laptop-Chocolate/dp/B00B2HVYT6/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1376945479&sr=1-4&keywords=lenovo+i7

get a legit copy of Office.
    university is a new product , share with a flatmate and get a copy each for laptop and phone for £20 each.

https://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/university/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Dont even start...

OP since it seems you wont be doing any graphically intensive work you should start looking at some of the other questions on the checklist.

Will it be used for gaming?
    Need a built in DVD drive?
    Need a long battery life?
    Will it face a lot of moving about?
    Is size an issue?

You could buy any laptop just for Office and Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

Dont even start...

OP since it seems you wont be doing any graphically intensive work you should start looking at some of the other questions on the checklist.

Will it be used for gaming?
    Need a built in DVD drive?
    Need a long battery life?
    Will it face a lot of moving about?
    Is size an issue?

+1 to this

The two fundamental questions you need to ask yourself are:
    No. 1: What specs do you need? and
    No. 2: How much / little are you willing to spend?

I bought my college laptop (an intel i5 core Asus for €500) last year from http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ and it's served brilliantly. Of course I had light to medium gaming in mind as well as assignments so if you only want it for assignments ie: word, powerpoint, you can spend a lot less than €500.

Also http://www.argos.ie/ does pretty decent deals sometimes! As for PC world, it often is far more expensive than websites, but you can often the occasional reasonably priced model.

TBH you'll get much better advice on the computer/technology forum on boards, some really nice and helpful people on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wileyoreilly

it would be worth having a look at a chromebook if u only want it for word documents, powerpoint and the internet. only paid 280 for mine and its well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Or get Windows and dual boot it with Ubuntu.

A student laptop doesn't have to be very expensive. Definitely shop around. I got an 11" netbook last year at a decent price. It has 4GB RAM, so it's actually more powerful than many of the larger laptops out there.

LibreOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office. It's quite nifty and could save you a considerable amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Anybody reccomend a CSIT labtop, obviously need solid Java/ c++ programme etc, but would want to stay under 500/600 territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

jrmb wrote: »
    LibreOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office. It's quite nifty and could save you a considerable amount of money.

LibreOffice is a piece of crap compared to Office and I love FOSS. Also, your lecturer is likely going to know **** about computers and publish the notes in some ****ty MS format and not as a .pdf (or something even nicer...). This will mean that if you try open your notes in LibreOffice they will be malformed and sometimes unreadable. I would recommend just getting Office. An older edition should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

jrmb wrote: »

Just use google docs tbh, unless you need some mad formatting.
    diarmo06 wrote: »
    Anybody reccomend a CSIT labtop, obviously need solid Java/ c++ programme etc, but would want to stay under 500/600 territory?

I was a mac user throughout CS so I cant really help with a suggestion, but the bigger the screen the better. I had to do some work in Java on a netbook once and it was a nightmare.

I'd get in touch with the department and see what they suggest, some colleges have deals with manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

diarmo06 wrote: »

Get a Thinkpad, best Linux support :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ShefflinAlong

Sometimes you need specific software, mate of mine is doing social sciences and they had to get CPSS or something like that.

Think it was arranged throught the college though.

your lecturer is likely going to know **** about computers and publish the notes in some ****ty MS format and not as a .pdf (or something even nicer...). This will mean that if you try open your notes in LibreOffice they will be malformed and sometimes unreadable.
    I see what you mean but LibreOffice is generally well able to cope with MS formats, including DOCX. Its predecessor OpenOffice could export to PDF long before
    MS Office.
    Fad wrote: »
    Just use google docs tbh
    Google Docs isn't bad either but last year, I was unable to make the most of it because WiFi in my college was intermittent.

Advertisement