Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing newly registered car

Options
  • 31-07-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi, wondering if anyone can tell me if the car dealer I'm buying from registers the car tomorrow morning, will I be able to pick up the forms and tax the car in a tax office the same day, or will I have to wait until the next working day?

I've tried the motor tax office, but they don't seem to be answering phones or email.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It could take a few working days to appear on their system. If it's not on their system then you cannot tax it.

You could check the online system regularly, the PIN is usually the last 6 digits of the car's VIN.when it's a newly registered car. If its not that then there is a PIN request online form too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if he hasn't registered it yet, he'll have to wait for an appointment I reckon (unless you are saying he has an appointment tomorrow morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Dealers can register cars online in a matter of seconds, if they have a TAN account, which nearly all main dealers do.

Car can't be taxed until the following day using the on-line system, but we've never tried heading straight to the tax office.

I'd be very surprised if the car wasn't registered today to get it in to July's figures. I've had about 55 vehicles registered in the past 2 days to get them in to July.

Can fairly easily declare off the road now, so not an issue.

Advertisement