Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IH 454 Diesel upper engine oil problem

• 08-12-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been helping a friend with his international 454, a pushrod came loose when it was working a grain milling machine.

It was caused by the rocker gaps being way off - measurable in 1/4 inch gaps. Anyway - all put right and ticking over nicely, but the whole of the head was completely dry. No oil anywhere.

Oil pressure is good, there's no stuff in the strainer on the pick-up, the cam is lubricated, but there's nothing getting to the rocker shaft.

I'm going to strip down the rocker shaft assembly, my plan is to use the airgun to blow out all the lines feeding the head, and run a pipe cleaner down them if I can get my hands on any.

But before I do is there any obvious "gotchas" to do with the lubrication system that ye know about? Or does anyone have a lubrication chart for the IH454 that they could show me?

Any hints or experience would be appreciated.

W.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been helping a friend with his international 454, a pushrod came loose when it was working a grain milling machine.

It was caused by the rocker gaps being way off - measurable in 1/4 inch gaps. Anyway - all put right and ticking over nicely, but the whole of the head was completely dry. No oil anywhere.

Oil pressure is good, there's no stuff in the strainer on the pick-up, the cam is lubricated, but there's nothing getting to the rocker shaft.

I'm going to strip down the rocker shaft assembly, my plan is to use the airgun to blow out all the lines feeding the head, and run a pipe cleaner down them if I can get my hands on any.

But before I do is there any obvious "gotchas" to do with the lubrication system that ye know about? Or does anyone have a lubrication chart for the IH454 that they could show me?

Any hints or experience would be appreciated.

W.

have you changed the filter??
    or removed the sump to check the suction filter on the oil pump/oil pressure check....I know not much on internationals....but I rarely heard of lubrication lines to get blocked

*or most obvious of all...is there oil in it:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Thanks!

Filter is new, dropped the sump and blew out the strainer, primed the pump and checked the oil pressure on the gauge - pressure was at 1/2 way. New oil and filled new filter with oil. There is oil at the camshaft, as I took the side plate off and watched it while turning over the engine on the starter.

All I can think of is that there is a serious blockage in a line to the head.

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Thanks!

Filter is new, dropped the sump and blew out the strainer, primed the pump and checked the oil pressure on the gauge - pressure was at 1/2 way. New oil and filled new filter with oil. There is oil at the camshaft, as I took the side plate off and watched it while turning over the engine on the starter.

All I can think of is that there is a serious blockage in a line to the head.

W.

what bar/psi was oil pressure??

The Gauge isn't calibrated - it's just the standard idiot gauge. The needle does hold rock steady on the centre of the gauge, though, so I don't think it's pump pressure. Not 100% on that, but I don't have a gauge to double check it with.

Sorted it.

The rocker shaft had been fitted 90 degrees out, the oil input hole wan't aligned with the supply from the rocker stand casting.

As a result here's a lot of wear on the shaft and the rockers, but I've reassembled it, set the tappets and it's running very nice now. As it's only going to be used for low rev work - power washer and corn mill - I think it'll be fine for a few seasons. No point on splashing the dosh unnecessarily.

Thanks for the help - it's great to be able to bounce ideas around.

PS: for the record there's a punch mark on the end of the shaft that has to be aligned with the clamp slot on the rocker mount at the front of the engine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement