Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a car in Ireland whilst still living abroad

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

hello

I know this is probably a noob question, but this sort of thing is not my long suit. any advice would be appreciated.

I emigrated a few years ago. I am currently getting my **** together to move home, and as part of that I want to get a car organised. I wont be moving home permanently until next april/may, is it possible to insure a car while still living abroad? i used to be with quinn but I take it that they went tits up...

what do I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

AFAIK you need an address in Ireland to insure a car over here (its part of the risk assessment). Have you an address over here that you could use; parents/sibling or the likes? It would need to be where the car is stored the majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

yes, I have parents, grandparent and a sister

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you plan to use the car outside the country before you permanently move home then insurance companies generally may only insure you for up to 30 days abroad, one or two may cover you for a bit longer. Most will ask you to notify them in advance when you take it abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't plan to you it anywhere but Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

AFAIK it's impossible to insure a car in Ireland, if you are not resident here. And you clearly are not resident here at the moment.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you plan to use the car outside the country before you permanently move home then insurance companies generally may only insure you for up to 30 days abroad, one or two may cover you for a bit longer. Most will ask you to notify them in advance when you take it abroad.

Any time limitations for insurance abroad, may only apply to fire, theft and comprehensive part of the policy (own car damage, windscreen, accident benefit, personal belonging, breakdown cover, etc).
    Third party cover will be valid abroad for the whole period of the policy. That's the law, and every insurer is obliged to offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

CiniO wrote: »
    Third party cover will be valid abroad for the whole period of the policy. That's the law, and every insurer is obliged to offer it.

Hi CinO , you wouldn't have a link to that law so I can print it out would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bbsrs wrote: »

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/insurance/consumer/motor/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Could you not get a family member to name you as a driver on their policy? I've done it numerous times for family when they travel back to Ireland on extended holidays and told the insurance company. Never encountered an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

bbsrs wrote: »

Here:
    "(2A) An approved policy of insurance referred to in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of this section shall extend to damages or costs on account of injury to persons or property incurred by the negligent use of a mechanically propelled vehicle by the user in any of the designated territories to the extent required by the law relating to compulsory insurance against civil liability in respect of the use of mechanically propelled vehicles of the territory where the damages or costs may be incurred, or to the extent required by this Part of this Act, whichever is the greater.".

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0347.html

To find out what "designated territories" are, the most up to date what I found is this:
    designated territories’ means the territories of the Member States (other than the State) and Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland;
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0248.html

However many insurer extend this to even greater area:
    F.e. insurer I'm with (Allianz) says the following in their policy:

This insurance shall operate in terms of this Policy in respect of Private Cars in the
    following countries: Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, The Isle of Man,
    The Channel Islands.Your Policy is automatically extended to cover You to travel to or on
    the Continent of Europe for up to 60 days in any period of insurance.
    [/QUOTE]
    So that means that full cover is available on the whole continent of Europe (not only EU), but limited to 60 days only.
    We will also provide the minimum legal insurance required by law to use the Car in any
    European Union country and any other country which has made arrangements to meet
    the minimum insurance requirements set by the European Union.
    This pretty much means, that third party cover is valid without any time limitations in any EU country + more.
    I'm not sure however, which are the countries that has made arrangements to meet minimum insurance requirements set by the EU. I'm sure those must include countries listed above in the regulations (Iceland, Norway, Switzerland), but it most likely include more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

oldyouth wrote: »
    Abroad is not the same as EU

Yes they are different words.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if the OPs profile location of Amsterdam is correct, then to him abroad is EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For the purposes of car insurance, abroad is anywhere that isnt within the Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

djimi wrote: »
    For the purposes of car insurance, abroad is anywhere that isnt within the Republic of Ireland.

Exactly, so why is the EU directive being quoted?

Exactly, so why is the EU directive being quoted?

Most people who drive abroad, drive within EU.

But yes - have a look at my post earlier - I quote Irish law stating what territories Irish issued policies cover.
    This is indeed all EU countries + Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, etc...

But there is also Green Card system, which covers all of Europe and most of Asia. I think every insurer in Ireland will issue a green card when requested. I'm not sure though about validity date of such green card and cost.

Advertisement