Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget changes taking effect from Jan 1st '14

• 31-01-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Mods - this may not be the appropriate forum, if not please feel free to move.

Got paid today and to say I got a shock is an understatement.

I am separated and have one dependent child who stays with me 2-3 days/week (I know I am very lucky compared to many fathers on this forum). I was in receipt of the OPF tax credit which I expected to lose this year due to changes in the budget in October - I worked out that this would costs me an extra € 672/year in additional taxes, didn't like it but could live with it.

What I didn't realise is not only would I lose the OPF tax credit but that my tax band, for standard rate tax of 20%, would also reduce from € 36,800/year to € 32,800/year from January as the OPF is only provided to the "primary carer" (in my case my ex).

In effect both of these changes will mean that I will pay an additional
    € 2,490 in tax this year.

I already struggle to pay the court mandated maintenance of € 800/month for my child - this reduction in net income will pin me to my collar.

Did anyone else in this forum know/realise that the budget changes would have such an impact and was I the only one living in la la land :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oscars Mum

Can you reapply to the court regarding the maintenance payments since your pay is reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oscars Mum

So sorry to read this and the impact on day to day lives..... terrified to my future too :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sawsea

I feel your pain bro,,,,,,,, your not the only one who didn't see this coming, wages down €200 a month and that after haddington took €150 in october.

This has to be wrong under some tenant of law.
    There is mumbo jumbo about being able to get the ex to relinquish her entitlement and then I might be able to claim it but when I asked she refused even though she doesnt claim it.

I travel 90 miles to work and 90 back so that I'm 'around' for the boys in the evenings when they call over for a chat or to go to karate or have a shower or whatever and they spend the weekends with me too but now I cant afford it and will have to rent closer to work and drive 180 miles friday and sunday to collect the lads and drop them back. HOW CAN THIS BE FAIR ON MY KIDS?????????

Who'll take them and pay for karate or to the library when they want to get new books,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Same old storey, we get hammered in court and pay for everything plus maintenance but now its not just the judicial system thats stacked against us but the legislature and revenue are joining them to heap injustice on working fathers who are trying to do the best for their children.

Can we organise some form of protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

A terrible budget decision that hammers a small minority of society.. it will save the state paltry amounts of money for the state and has devestating effects to children and fathers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sawsea

Oscars Mum wrote: »
    Can you reapply to the court regarding the maintenance payments since your pay is reduced?

You can and a number of developers have done it but the cost of going to court again can be prohibitive for the average bloke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Smothered mum

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    I already struggle to pay the court mandated maintenance of € 800/month for my child - this reduction in net income will pin me to my collar.

You pay €800 per month for one child? is this correct? My ex walked out and left me with 4 teenagers, a mortgage and a heap of bills and not one penny in maintenance. I'm so sorry OP to hear how difficult your ex has made it for you. How are people meant to move on with their lives under these conditions?

Advertisement