Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Campsite Dumore East

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Here at the moment. Basically its a field with Gravel on site with not so level pitches, Elec at each one and water mid way. The road from the turn in point on the land is a gravel potholed 500M stretch. The site really needs to be finished off with levelling at tarmac. Shower and toliet block are clean but again its a pay for shower which we hate.. its not the money as such its the inconvenience €1 for 6 minutes and your staying in this shower for 6 minutes as there is no point trying to dry off as the spray goes everywhere in the cubicle... a lot of sites are like this and it makes it a pain to shower the smaller ones unless you are going to shower also. Being able to turn the water on and off at your convenience makes it far easier. €30 per night for 2+2 inc Elec.. not the dearest but the site is so basic it doesn't warrant that charge. Staff are friendly. As for Dunmore.. picturesque but WOW the restaurants and shops are taking the P with the prices.. expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

Won't be going near it unless they re-open Shanoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

http://www.motorcaravanclub.com/component/content/article/34.html
    Check out the above link and also the discussions the motorhome craic site. After what I've read I've no intention of ever supporting this campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Came across that article when we were on the Site. I find it quite strange that somebody can have a public facility closed down on the grounds that they just opened a private enterprise along with grant aided public money. There must be more to this story .. perhaps the provision of the grant money was in part to do with the closure of the public area and that would have been a council decision..close down the public area whilst "providing" a facility close by. The weekend we were there the Bluegrass festival was on and I would guess there were about 20 Motorhomes parked up at the side of the road down by the harbour .. are the council now going to prevent MH's parking there? We noticed a security van at the bottom of the entrance to the Shannon site .. looked like it was manned 24/7 to prevent MH's entering...who pays for that.. us the tax payer? The campers bring in a valuable source of revenue to any village they stay in / near...such shortsighted is , unfortunately , a long running theme in Ireland. MH owners will vote with their wheels and roll on to where they are welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Glastonut wrote: »
    Won't be going near it unless they re-open Shanoon.

I presume you wont be going near Dunmore unless they open the Shanoon spot. No need to go to tho site if they did would there? Afraid it will not happen so local loss and yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    That is exactly the point,it is our loss,we the irish people own the Shanoon site but those in power have decided to force us to use a private site and put our money into a private venture.
    It is very similar to the way that it is becoming compulsary to have every thing tested by 'experts' to spread around the money that those in power believe we have squirrelled away.
    You need a BER cert for your house,a yearly test on your camper even if it is low milage and only used a couple of weeks in the year
    Every profession seems to look around at potential business be they electricians,gas fitters or whatever and then lobby government to make it mandatory to employ them for jobs and tests that dont really need doing.
    Forcing someone to use a private service they neither want or need is theft.
    Rant mode off.
    Yours Zambo

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Anyone know if there is an alternative wild camping spot open in Dunmore East, I recall reading somewhere that a new area had opened but can't find the info. Thinking of heading that way for the bank holiday weekend.

Advertisement