Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Britain be allowed to keep it's seat on UN security council?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

To me they aint a world player anymore. What is a small, highly indebted nation off the coast of Europe doing making big decisions in the world? It's absolutely ridiculous!:mad:

It's just through historical accident that the Brits got the seat in the first place. All they are now is the lap dog of the Americans. Just laughable.

Now that we have the emerging giants of China and India, the UK must be put in it's proper place.

It's economy and influence have shrunk so much recently that I think they really have no right to that seat on the council. They should be replaced by an EU seat of some description. It would also give Ireland more of a say I believe.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/209953

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Britain is still a player. They have a very strong military with an excellent recent record. The British economy was savaged by Thatcher, but there is still enough there for it to be a leading economy. Brown has done a good job. Britain is back in positive economic growth.

Although economically worse off, Britain is still more powerful than Germany and Japan militarily. Britain is still a leading global player IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They have nukes.....QED.

creeper1 wrote: »
    It would also give Ireland more of a say I believe.

So, this is about Ireland, rather than the UK. :rolleyes:

The fact is that the UK wields more political power than just about any country out there. Their international reputation was damaged slightly by Iraq, but recovered when they stuck to their decision, and supported their allies. Despite a decision that many people question, they have come out with more respect than before. Add in the aspect of historical relationships, and the UK is a solid non-military choice for the security council.

Personally, I wouldn't want them to leave.. I see them as a balancer compared to the others, and their world agenda's. The moment that Ireland got its hands on nukes, we'd probably do something totally Irish, like vote SF in...

As for Ireland.... The least amount of influence on the world the better. We're a small time country, hardly capable of running our own country, never mind telling other countries how to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

World's number 5 military power, number 6 economic power, number 2-3 naval power, number 10 merchant fleet, third most important currency, huge number of international connections...you're living next door to one of the world's major players.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Realistically, Britain is and has been in decline since the end of World War II. In fairness to them, they figured this out at Suez and decided to reinvent themselves as the "Wise Greeks" to America's "Bumptious Romans" and this alliance has propped them up ever since. France did the opposite and as a result was less able to hide her own decline.

Militarily they are one of the most powerful nations in the World, but that does not mean a lot. Her last conflict without overwhelming US support (more correctly where she was not support to the US) was the Falklands war, and that was a close run thing in many respects, won more through Argentine military cock-ups than British military success.

Economically, Britain has been up and down like a yo-yo, often rating bottom of the old G7 league and consistently behind countries such as Germany and Japan (who were fortunate enough to be relieved of the burden of being a superpower).

This is not to detract from the UK's strengths. She remains one of the more powerful economic, cultural and military nations in the World. However, all that differentiates her from France, Germany or (to a lesser extent) Italy or Spain, is 'the special relationship'.

Problem with Britain's over-reliance on the US is that increasingly the UK needs it more than the US. Donald Rumsfeld's suggestion that the UK was militarily almost irrelevant to the Iraq war was hugely damaging to the UK's reputation, and if anything it highlighted that the 'special relationship' had moved on, to the point that is was no longer something that the UK could rely upon to prop herself up internationally.

Without the 'special relationship' though, the UK becomes no more special than France or Germany - less so, because after Suez, the French decided to build up their power base in Europe, something that has finally only begun to pay dividends for the French in the last ten to fifteen years.

As the the article posted by the OP points out, the UK has to find her place in the post-'special relationship' World. She's been out-maneuvered in Europe, and even if she became ardently pro-EU, she would never supplant the French or Germans. Meanwhile while the trans-Atlantic alliance remains, but it is a shadow of what it used to be and everyone knows it.

Either way, the UK is no longer the World power she once was - at least, she is no more important than many other nations out there. And with the realization that she no longer enjoys the tight bond to the new Rome, her opinion will become increasingly irrelevant to the rest of the World regardless of how important she thinks herself - unless, that is, she can reinvent herself again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

So, this is about Ireland, rather than the UK. :rolleyes:

The fact is that the UK wields more political power than just about any country out there. Their international reputation was damaged slightly by Iraq, but recovered when they stuck to their decision, and supported their allies. Despite a decision that many people question, they have come out with more respect than before. Add in the aspect of historical relationships, and the UK is a solid non-military choice for the security council.

Personally, I wouldn't want them to leave.. I see them as a balancer compared to the others, and their world agenda's. The moment that Ireland got its hands on nukes, we'd probably do something totally Irish, like vote SF in...

As for Ireland.... The least amount of influence on the world the better. We're a small time country, hardly capable of running our own country, never mind telling other countries how to do so.

They dont even wield the most economic/political power in the EU !:D:D
    Hell they cant even decide if they are or arent a full member, if they stop being the US's mini shadow, perhaps they may make some progress !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

If EU wants a seat, I am sure the French as good Europeans will be happy to give them theirs.

The UK should keep its seat

Scofflaw wrote: »
    World's number 5 military power, number 6 economic power, number 2-3 naval power, number 10 merchant fleet, third most important currency, huge number of international connections...you're living next door to one of the world's major players.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Bit of a come down for a country that had the biggest empire in the world :mad:
    " Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves "

Bit of a pity that it cant even afford to kit its soldiers out properly in Afghanistan !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

britain is NATOs protector,21.500 troops in germany,nato HQ gibraltar,over 41,000 troops located around the world,can call on 100,000s commonwealth and allied troops, if needed,oh yes brittain is still a very big player and a important member of the UN security council ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

third most important currency

Really?

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    britain is NATOs protector,21.500 troops in germany,nato HQ gibraltar,over 41,000 troops located around the world,can call on 100,000s commonwealth and allied troops, if needed,oh yes brittain is still a very big player and a important member of the UN security council ,
    It couldnt even kit the small number of soldiers it had in Afghanisatn properly. The US marines had to take over some British areas of responsibility as they were doing such a poor job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

third most important currency

after Dollar, Euro, Yen, Renminbi?

sounds like 5th to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Really?

No.

It is the 6th largest economy in the world, but it has a relatively large population ( in GDP per capita it is not really at the races).

The UK should keep its seat
    Why? TBH, the permanent seats on the UN security council are based upon the victor nations of World War II in 1945. It is ridiculous in the extreme at this stage that we are basing geo-global policy on a 65-year old paradigm.

This isn't a swipe against the UK per say - France's permanent seat is just as ridiculous at this stage. If the seats are supposed to reflect the World's Great Powers, then neither the UK or France should be there as neither is a Great Power outside of the EU and/or without US support.

The World has changed and being a nation state no longer cuts it, in the new World order, if you want to be one of the big boys.
    Tristram wrote: »
    Really?
    The GBP is still a significant currency, it is still the third greatest reserve currency, but even if it is the third most important currency it is a distant third to the USD or EUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blah blah blah anti british stuff here

I assume you would take the same line with the French?

anymore wrote: »
    It couldnt even kit the small number of soldiers it had in Afghanisatn properly. The US marines had to take over some British areas of responsibility as they were doing such a poor job.
    not true

the UK provides the largest NATO army,when they wanted to cut down the number of troop stationed in germany,the only other european country who had a big enough army to replace them was poland,that was not exeptable to the germans,the UKs army is very important to the UN as it can be easily sent to the worlds hot spots,only the US has the same trust as the UK in world trust,certainly not china or russia

only the US has the same trust as the UK in world trust,certainly not china or russia
    Depends who you ask. There are large swathes of the World where Russia or China would be far more welcome than either the UK or US.

Depends who you ask. There are large swathes of the World where Russia or China would be far more welcome than either the UK or US.
    name them, russia and china out side their own countris have no quick reaction forces,significant navies to matter[the main russian navy is blocked in the back sea ports],and both china and russia are still using old and often not working weapons,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Tristram wrote: »
    Really?

More accurately the world's third reserve currency (by quite a long way third after the dollar and the euro).
    Bit of a come down for a country that had the biggest empire in the world

True, but kind of irrelevant. Even when it had the biggest empire its manpower was so thinly stretched, and there was so much local garrisoning to be done, that they couldn't hold back Germany by themselves, let alone defeat them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

name them, russia and china out side their own countris have no quick reaction forces,significant navies to matter[the main russian navy is blocked in the back sea ports],and both china and russia are still using old and often not working weapons,
    Sorry, but I was responding to your assertion that "the US has the same trust as the UK in world trust,certainly not china or Russia", not that they have a state-of-the-art military.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think it more important that they get rid of the veto, than replace one of the members.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think it more important that they get rid of the veto, than replace one of the members.
    its no good having a security council,if you cannot implement the security,or do you think by saying ;you are a bad boy;will work?at the end of the day the countries who have to do the dirty work have to be the ones who provide the arms and man power,that is why they are the members of the security council, i would not want to send my soldiers into danger just because some country like iran morocco thinks i should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

t the US has the same trust as the UK in world trust,

...well thats damnation by faint praise if ever I heard it. In terms of respect, its actually the Canadians and the Scandanavians. The UK is essentially the lackey of the US and has been as a matter of policy since the late 1950's at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Now that we have the emerging giants of China and India, the UK must be put in it's proper place.
    China has had a permanent seat on the Security Council since 1946. In 1971 the seat, thitherto held by the government of the Republic of China (aka Taiwan) was switched to the government of the People's Republic of China (aka China).

The most recent proposed measure being considered by the general assembly is that proposed by Kofi Annan in 2004, under which the permanent seats would be expanded to ten, the extra seats being taken in most proposals by the G4 nations (Brazil, India, Japan and Germany) and one from Africa and/or the Arab League. It's since been sitting there before the general assembly - if 128 countries approve it, it's passed.

The biggest opposition to the Annan proposal comes from the Uniting for Consensus grouping (often referred to as the Coffee Club). It's made up of about 40 countries, almost all of whom have a common aim to keep one of their neighbours from getting a permanent seat. Every one of the G4 nations has a neighbour or few who doesn't want them to get a permanent seat. They've found common ground with each other in blocking their mutual neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

its no good having a security council,if you cannot implement the security,or do you think by saying ;you are a bad boy;will work?at the end of the day the countries who have to do the dirty work have to be the ones who provide the arms and man power,that is why they are the members of the security council, i would not want to send my soldiers into danger just because some country like iran morocco thinks i should

I mentioned getting rid of the veto and not the UNSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sceptre wrote: »
    The biggest opposition to the Annan proposal comes from the Uniting for Consensus grouping (often referred to as the Coffee Club). It's made up of about 40 countries, almost all of whom have a common aim to keep one of their neighbours from getting a permanent seat. Every one of the G4 nations has a neighbour or few who doesn't want them to get a permanent seat. They've found common ground with each other in blocking their mutual neighbours.

Of course tiddlers with their 'beggar thy neighbour' attitude will only be happy with the Late Late Show solution and that would render the Secuity Council even less useful than it already is.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...well thats damnation by faint praise if ever I heard it. In terms of respect, its actually the Canadians and the Scandanavians. The UK is essentially the lackey of the US and has been as a matter of policy since the late 1950's at least.
    canada [free trade neighbour and another lacky of the US and commonwealth country ]scandinavia,norway sweden and maybe denmark,hard to think of any more pro-british european countries, i understand just what you are trying to say ,but at the end of the day all countries are the lackies of one of the powerfull nations

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭creeper1

Realistically, Britain is and has been in decline since the end of World War II.

Economically, Britain has been up and down like a yo-yo, often rating bottom of the old G7 league and consistently behind countries such as Germany and Japan (who were fortunate enough to be relieved of the burden of being a superpower).

This is not to detract from the UK's strengths. She remains one of the more powerful economic, cultural and military nations in the World. However, all that differentiates her from France, Germany or (to a lesser extent) Italy or Spain, is 'the special relationship'.

Either way, the UK is no longer the World power she once was - at least, she is no more important than many other nations out there. And with the realization that she no longer enjoys the tight bond to the new Rome, her opinion will become increasingly irrelevant to the rest of the World regardless of how important she thinks herself - unless, that is, she can reinvent herself again.

I am absolutely convinced that economically the UK is a spent force. I see only contraction in real terms relative to the rest of the world.

No money = less for defense = no longer a big military power. They are already debating whether they can afford to keep the trident missiles.
    No trident missiles means what the hell are you doing on the UN security council!?

The best thing for the Brits to do is to keep their noses out of international affairs. They have no right! The sooner the world cops on to how small and insignificant they have became/will become the better.

It's not like they made the right decisions anyway! Invading Iraq. What a great idea that was:rolleyes:. America says jump and Britain ask "how high?".

Even though Ireland may not oppose US policy at least we have the balls to remain neutral and not supportive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Head of State of the UK is Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

I've bolded the relevant bit. There are 196 nations on the planet, as best I can recall, 54 of them she's the head of. That's a lot of connection by way of one seat.

NTM

Advertisement