Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI duplicate transactions

Options
  • 08-09-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was checking my 365 online account to day and noticed a suspicious duplicate transaction on the statement. I rang BOI to see what the story with it was.

Apparently there is some sort of glitch affecting lots of customers in which Laser/ATM transactions have been incorrectly duplicated. They should be dated 04Sept in the details column of the 365Online A/c.

Problem will hopefully be sorted this evening and A/c's refunded (allegedly).

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK the transactions should disappear off the accounts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭4red

Try calling your branch if you've, like me, also been affected...
    Their reponse is abysmal.

Come on BOI, it's all over the papers, try some customer reassurance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

4red wrote: »

Wasn't it all over the news this morning and they have apparently being working non stop to rectify it...what more do you want, a personal apology, mistakes happen, they get fixed, life moves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭4red

what more do you want, a personal apology

No, nor do I want press releases which don't reflect the truth.

I want customer service which adequately reflects the scope of the problem, which staff at my BOI branch completely failed to provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Wasn't it all over the news this morning and they have apparently being working non stop to rectify it...what more do you want, a personal apology, mistakes happen, they get fixed, life moves on.

yes - they should be offering compensation to cover their ineptitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

this has been ongoing for years at BOI. what does anyone expect? seriously?
    over bureaucratic company with too much red tape and inter departmental communications issues. This bank would have gone under for sure this time except for the bail out. I would not leave 10euro in a bank of ireland account.
    some people who had larger transactions were left in the red after the transaction was charged twice. this caused issues for them in other payment areas. why risk your credit rating on an institution with a proven record for these kind of problems.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

100gSoma wrote: »
    this caused issues for them in other payment areas. why risk your credit rating on an institution with a proven record for these kind of problems.

What do you mean exactly? If you're talking about direct debits/standing orders or the like, decisions on whether to pay or unpay them is based on your ledger (overnight) balance, not your 'live' balance. Because these transactions only showed up as shadows they will not have affected any decisions made regarding these sort of payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

4red wrote: »

Some people are funny to say the least. There's some people out there who, no matter what you said or done, would still not be happy..... <sigh>.
    mobpd wrote: »
    yes - they should be offering compensation to cover their ineptitude

Did you bother read the RTE.ie news item?
    RTE.ie wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0909/boi.html "A Bank of Ireland spokeswoman said all refunds had been made including all overdraft fees and penalties charged to customers as a result of the incorrect charges to their card."

I mean do people read these days :rolleyes:
    this has been ongoing for years at BOI. what does anyone expect? seriously?
    over bureaucratic company with too much red tape and inter departmental communications issues. This bank would have gone under for sure this time except for the bail out.
    I would not leave 10euro in a bank of ireland account.
    some people who had larger transactions were left in the red after the transaction was charged twice. this caused issues for them in other payment areas. why risk your credit rating on an institution with a proven record for these kind of problems.

Very interesting. Please explain.
    Toots* wrote: »
    What do you mean exactly? If you're talking about direct debits/standing orders or the like, decisions on whether to pay or unpay them is based on your ledger (overnight) balance, not your 'live' balance. Because these transactions only showed up as shadows they will not have affected any decisions made regarding these sort of payments.

Toots, I wouldn't even wasting your breath explaining.

stepbar wrote: »
    Did you bother read the RTE.ie news item?

I mean do people read these days :rolleyes:

I think mobpd was talking about "compensation for ineptitude" not "refunding of overdraft charges".

anyway, I can see there are some vehemently supportive BOI supporters here so I won't argue. What I meant by my comment about "the bank going under without bailout" is that the share price was becoming worthless until the government re-injected capital. Tax payers money.
    what I meant by my "over bureaucratic company with too much red tape and inter departmental communications issues" is that in my own personal opinion I have experienced difficulty dealing with BOI as they have many departments and managers who are often unaware or unconnected to other departments. This slows down communication as issues are passed from manager to manager and department to department. Thats just my experience. Perhaps dealing with BOI can only be described as a "slick reliable reassuring experience" for the rest of you.
    as for the why risk your credit rating on an institution with a proven record for these kind of problems comment, If they put my accout in the red through mistakenly double charging me 1000euro then I am now unable to pay off other financial commitments until the point where the problem is rectified. These commitments are not necessarily overnight DDs or SOs. Perhaps I need cash urgently for personal reasons. It is not there.

anyway, your right stepbar, no point wasting breath explaining anything to me as I am obviously too far in the opposite camp to understand. :)
    I can only hope the ones who complain eventually have the wherewithal to expend that energy on doing something useful instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think mobpd was talking about "compensation for ineptitude" not "refunding of overdraft charges".

anyway, I can see there are some vehemently supportive BOI supporters here so I won't argue. What I meant by my comment about "the bank going under without bailout" is that the share price was becoming worthless until the government re-injected capital. Tax payers money.
    what I meant by my "over bureaucratic company with too much red tape and inter departmental communications issues" is that in my own personal opinion I have experienced difficulty dealing with BOI as they have many departments and managers who are often unaware or unconnected to other departments. This slows down communication as issues are passed from manager to manager and department to department. Thats just my experience. Perhaps dealing with BOI can only be described as a "slick reliable reassuring experience" for the rest of you.
    as for the why risk your credit rating on an institution with a proven record for these kind of problems comment, If they put my accout in the red through mistakenly double charging me 1000euro then I am now unable to pay off other financial commitments until the point where the problem is rectified. These commitments are not necessarily overnight DDs or SOs. Perhaps I need cash urgently for personal reasons. It is not there.

anyway, your right stepbar, no point wasting breath explaining anything to me as I am obviously too far in the opposite camp to understand. :)
    I can only hope the ones who complain eventually have the wherewithal to expend that energy on doing something useful instead.

Not a BOI employee myself, but you know what - I feel the need to reply to this.

In the real world, mistakes happen, and technology goes wrong - usually through Human error. Get over it.

For a start, this was all Lazer transactions that were done on a particular day - not peoples accounts being wiped out for weeks on end.

As regards Taxpayers money being used to prop up the banks - do you actually understand the terms of the recapitalisation of the banks, and what the banks have to pay back to the NPRF on this?.

I'd like to hear your opinion on those terms, once you've researched it, and compare it to other acceptable pension returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

I used my Laser card twice on Friday but each transaction was duplicated leaving me out by almost 200 EUR.

I'm posting here to make BoI customers aware of the situation. It seems like a repeat of the overcharging fiasco in early September.

After eventually getting through to a rep in Banking365 I was told it would resolve itself within a few working days but could not be given a specific timeframe. Fortunately I didn't go into the red but some of you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Same thing happened my wife...when she got through to the bank they said they were experiencing technical difficulties and then asked if she had any problems when processing the laser in any of the shops...she had three duplicate transactions and the agent she was through to didn't even apologise but said it should hopefully be fixed overnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All mine over the weekend are duped as well, this seems to be a common occurance with BOI if you google.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Happened to me too, 8 out of 11 transactions that were carried out since friday have been duplicated.

Looks like they haven't fixed this problem from September...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0909/breaking12.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭annon123

Hey, i was just after checking my BOI online account there and like previous posters noticed my transactions were being duplicated. I paniced and called BOI Online. They have reassured me the problem was going to be rectified by 11.30 this evening. Now i have no problem with a mistake like this happening. I understand technology cannot always be relied on and they were fixing the problem which is grand, but im after discovering this original post which seems to have the same problem as i have, only a month earlier. This is where my problem lies. Obviously this has been going on for over a month now. Should the problem not be fixed within their system and if not, why have they not contacted their customers to inform them that this may happen. Im just happy that i did not have to misfortune to go into a shop to pay for something believing myself to have the money and to be refused credit which im sure is the case for some people. I dont think this should be allowed to continue for as long as it has done or am i just over reacting?

Anyways if i hasnt happened to you, just keep and eye on your account and make sure they refund you your money. As i have already mistakes happen, but they shouldnt be repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

so i logged onto banking 365 just now to see that BOI charged me three times for the same transaction on my laser card.

I logged on again 5 mins later and the record of those overcharge transactions had disappeared.

I guess if i never logged on I wouldn't have know about it. Is it right that they just removed the overcharge transactions. Should they not have added a new transaction reimbursing me?

Guys, please don't keep starting new threads on the same topic, there's already a thread for this so I've merged all the posts together.

fester, to answer your question, the transactions were only showing up as 'shadows' on your account, and because they were duplicates, not actually valid transactions, they just disappeared off the system, so you can no longer see them. If the transactions had actually gone into your 'posted' transactions ie; you could see the name of the retailer on each one, as opposed to just 'laser tx', then it would have been necessary to put a credit in to cancel out each one.

fester wrote: »

I guess if i never logged on I wouldn't have know about it. Is it right that they just removed the overcharge transactions. Should they not have added a new transaction reimbursing me?

Think about the logic of that one for a second......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

Think about the logic of that one for a second......

yeah, i thought for a sec... I didn't know the answer, so i asked ;)

It's just that the duplicate transactions put my account into over draft - but now there's no record to show how that happened. I thought it would have to be accounted for, that's all.

fester wrote: »
    yeah, i thought for a sec... I didn't know the answer, so i asked ;)

It's just that the duplicate transactions put my account into over draft - but now there's no record to show how that happened. I thought it would have to be accounted for, that's all.

No, they're deleted off the system completely. Your account being overdrawn for the short time won't have incurred any fees, or effect any payments out of your account like standing orders or direct debits. See my post above for more info. :) It's still a horrible shock to look at your account and see all that money going out.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Not a BOI employee myself, but you know what - I feel the need to reply to this.

In the real world, mistakes happen, and technology goes wrong - usually through Human error. Get over it.

Hey, I'm over it :) I guess mistakes happen and some people (like yuor good self) are happy enough to live with that. I wouldn't be, and left BOI for similar reasons last year (having been a member there for 15 years)
    Highly incompetent, bureaucratic, red tape, poor inter-dept comms, and "mistakes" prevalent. You only hear of the mistakes that affect 100,000+ customers, but they happen all the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Toots* wrote: »
    No, they're deleted off the system completely. Your account being overdrawn for the short time won't have incurred any fees, or effect any payments out of your account like standing orders or direct debits. See my post above for more info. :) It's still a horrible shock to look at your account and see all that money going out.

In the incident that occurred in Spetember they seemed to think differently:

http://www.bankofireland.com/press_room/latest_releases/2009/General_Content_1000503.html

"most customers will have experienced no adverse impact" - leaving aside the horrendous grammar, this does suggest that a number of customers (up to 59,999) did suffer an adverse impact.

parsi wrote: »
    In the incident that occurred in Spetember they seemed to think differently:

http://www.bankofireland.com/press_room/latest_releases/2009/General_Content_1000503.html

"most customers will have experienced no adverse impact" - leaving aside the horrendous grammar, this does suggest that a number of customers (up to 59,999) did suffer an adverse impact.
    This error resulted in possible non access to funds for some customers on Tuesday. The payment of Direct Debits and Cheques were not affected. A small number of Standing Order payments may have been delayed by one day. The error has now been rectified on customer accounts and most customers will have experienced no adverse impact.

The adverse impact they refer to is customers being unable to get cash from ATMs or use laser cards, in some cases. As it says above, some standing orders were delayed for one day, not unpaid. As I said, it did not effect credit decisions on accounts. I have not heard of any customers whose direct debits etc were bounced. The way their systems work means that they work off the 'ledger' or 'close of business' balance for payment decisions, and this incident didn't effect the ledger balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

It msut be great living in the land of big numbers and job security.

Meanwhile back on earth most people would consider the fact that they lost access to their money for a day to be quite a serious issue.

I wonder how many BOI staff will be fired for this ..

soden12 wrote: »

Meanwhile back on earth most people would consider the fact that they lost access to their money for a day to be quite a serious issue.

soden12, please read the charter in relation to inflammatory posting.
    If you cannot post constructively don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

soden12 wrote: »

Why does a mistake have to end in putting more people on the dole queue?? I hope for your sake you never make a mistake as you would be expecting to be fired forthwith!

Computer systems are prone to error and the systems within a Bank are incredibly complex and errors do occur. It is unfortunate but it is a reality, it's how the Bank deals with the error is the issue. BoI seem to have addressed this fairly quickly but really need to look into why this particular error is reoccurring.

It certainly is unfortunate and should not happen. I think the problem is that the system went live too quickly. I note that AIB dont have this problem but I would say they have better systems then the BOI.

• Advertisement

It certainly is unfortunate and should not happen. I think the problem is that the system went live too quickly. I note that AIB dont have this problem but I would say they have better systems then the BOI.

I agree, it seemed like the systems went live almost overnight and they seem to still be working a few of the kinks out.

Advertisement