Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wow

• 29-01-2009 4:42pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭

My mother announced earlier that she disconnected our landline yesterday. The bills were coming in at €80 bi monthly, and it was rarely used. I'd been telling her for a few years to get rid of it, and now it is. Kinda sad in a way, but she had a pep in her step saying that's €500 the bástards won't be getting off me in the next 12 months. So proud of her!

Any major step changes in your house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

I can't remember the last time I used a landline.
    Mobile phones and wi-fi internet ftw!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah got rid of my land line too

the only thing now, its pain when i lose my mobile - i cant ring it on the land line :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

beertons wrote: »
    My mother announced earlier that she disconnected our landline yesterday. The bills were coming in at €80 bi monthly, and it was rarely used. I'd been telling her for a few years to get rid of it, and now it is. Kinda sad in a way, but she had a pep in her step saying that's €500 the bástards won't be getting off me in the next 12 months. So proud of her!

Any major step changes in your house?

6 x 80 is €480 actually :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Some stranger called and gave me 500 quid to bang her like a screen door in a hurricane..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Landline? Wow, that.

/Skype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I've stopped buying Bordeaux and moved to 'Selected by Tesco' brands which are about €4 cheaper.
    They dont even have corks! :(

Where's the problem with not having a cork? Most wines have that these days as it has no effect on the wine and it cant get corked!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Mark200 wrote: »
    6 x 80 is €480 actually :cool:

Twas an estimate, you don't contradict your mother.
    She's 60, dad 65. Don't want to confuse them now with skype. Bad enough having to write their text messages.

And we found the nicest bottle of red wine in Aldi/Lidl, Celler du Rhóne. €6.54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've stopped buying Bordeaux and moved to 'Selected by Tesco' brands which are about €4 cheaper.

If you buy two similar wines at the same price, one cork sealed and the other screw cap, the screw cap will be better quality, since using corks is so much more expensive. This won't make a difference if you are spending about 25 or 30 quid, but the wines you are talking about, its an advantage to have screw tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I have recently cancelled Sky €70 per month and bought one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321832/Trail/searchtext%3EFOXSAT-HD.htm
    Which will have paid for itself within 5 months.,€70 per month saved (£46 per month in the north grrr) well happy with it. What's the best deal out there if I was to get rid of my landline, I would still need Broadband at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

patmac wrote: »
    I have recently cancelled Sky €70 per month and bought one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321832/Trail/searchtext%3EFOXSAT-HD.htm
    Which will have paid for itself within 5 months.,€70 per month saved (£46 per month in the north grrr) well happy with it. What's the best deal out there if I was to get rid of my landline, I would still need Broadband at home.

You hardly get all the Sky channels with it do ya?

Got rid of the torture chamber. Cant get away with it these days sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I've had to let the Washing-Up Fairies go. So sad. Just a week after the Laundry Fairies got the boot. If things continue I'll have to bid adièu to the Cooking Fairies.

My husband will probably not notice anything amiss.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

John_Mc wrote: »
    Where's the problem with not having a cork?

They'll all move to Dublin!!
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Mark200 wrote: »
    You hardly get all the Sky channels with it do ya?
    I find that there is enough to do me and that €70 a month ain't worth the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

John_Mc wrote: »
    Where's the problem with not having a cork? Most wines have that these days as it has no effect on the wine and it cant get corked!

Tell you why.
    There is that lovely region in southern Portugal where all the cork comes from. It's the size of Wales and just beautifully preserved parkland and it's where they grow the cork oak now for hundreds of years from which they harvest the bark every 9 years which doesn't even harm the tree.
    It's a sustainable business which is uncharacteristically very much in harmony with the land as you have all the rare birds and other wonderful creatures there which you wouldn't find anywhere else.
    This region felt the impact of the screwcap and is under threat if this screwcap development takes over. So the beautiful land will all end up being turned into factories and parking lots then.

Saw that on a documentary on BBC and buy wine with proper corks ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yer Ma is lying to you ... she got carried away downloading her daniel o donnell and her charlie landsborough and Eircom caught up with her and cut her off, just like they told the judge they would.

She's too ashamed to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

realcam wrote: »
    Tell you why.
    There is that lovely region in southern Portugal where all the cork comes from. It's the size of Wales and just beautifully preserved parkland and it's where they grow the cork oak now for hundreds of years from which they harvest the bark every 9 years which doesn't even harm the tree.
    It's a sustainable business which is uncharacteristically very much in harmony with the land as you have all the rare birds and other wonderful creatures there which you wouldn't find anywhere else.
    This region felt the impact of the screwcap and is under threat if this screwcap development takes over. So the beautiful land will all end up being turned into factories and parking lots then.

Saw that on a documentary on BBC and buy wine with proper corks ever since.

I visit southern Portugal at least twice a year, usually more, as my parents have a house there and I love it.

When they went to build the house, part of the planning permission specified that at least 70% of the land be used for agriculture and landscaping, with the remainder being left for the building itself.

Portugal have done a fantastic job at preserving their wildlife and enviroment. When flying into Faro, you fly over a protected national park which has a huge array of wildlife. This is right by the sea, and is in stark contrast to what Spain have done to their coastline which is nothing but resorts and concrete.

My point is that even if the Cork industry were to fail because of screw tops, I'm sure the Portuguese wouldnt simply destroy the land.

All the same, it's a noble gesture of you to only buy wine with corks but I think you'll find it harder and harder to fine wine and time passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

One thing I'll never downgrade on is decent washing powder and toilet paper.

Bought these items from Aldi cone time,Washing powder itches like mad and the bog roll blocks the drains,the bogroll was as strong as cardboard and felt like you were wiping your arse with a broken bottle:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

antodeco wrote: »
    They'll all move to Dublin!!
    :pac:

awhh! that made me laugh so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I need my landline to get internetz because nobody but eircom is in my area yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

o2 have a landline plan for €25 a month it includes all calls made to landlines and all calls + texts to O2. You pay extra for calling vodafone/meteor/3.

I have this instead of a landline bacause I call landlines a lot. Eircom landline is too expensive. OP your parents could almost have a holiday for what they were paying eircom for a phone they weren't using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Most descriptive and relivant thread title ever.

Many thanks

Best regards

The Internet.

PS. With web connection you dont actually pay per word or letter so id say you are safe to use a few extra in thread titles.

dafvbjn[dfobs]ogfbs]kdgfmbspgfmbskfgmb skfvm skmfkb msfbgkms]fgk bsm]fbgkm sfkgmbs]fgmbspkfgmb]sgfmb sksm]fgijb]spgj]bpsfg]pobjs]fpgjbs]fpgbspogfb]sgijb]sigjb]sigjb]sigjofs[hoij]fsogijb]soigjb]sigfbjsfi

Woot ^^^ look they're free!!! cost me nothing..

sorry im just gloating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pffffft, corks. Buy a box of wine like the rest of us and use the tap.

Advertisement