Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pizza/chinese delivery drivers-earn much?

• 29-01-2009 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

As per title - anyone know ballpark what a pizza/chinese delivery driver gets per evenings work ?

Is it normally a fixed evening rate + tips ? or per delivery ?

TIA
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The rate is usally per delivery+amount in that delivery. Very few, if any, will do a fixed rate, as it's not viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you get your petrol paid for also ( if doing it by car )

very handy should you feel the need to top the tank up...

Free food too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    As per title - anyone know ballpark what a pizza/chinese delivery driver gets per evenings work ?

TIA
    Rob

I gave a pizza delivery guy a tip of about 6 or 7 euro last weekend when I was polluted with drink and thought he was the soundest fella I had met in years. I'd say a lot of people do that... If you're sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

For pizzas you tend to get €1 per pizza delivery and you cannot go on a drop with more than two pizzas, this is to ensure the pizzas stay hot.

For Chinese takeaways you can get €1 per order but usually can take 5 or 6 orders per drop. I've never heard of anywhere that gives you money for petrol.

You do get a free "meal" with both options. In my experience the Chinese takeaway let you order something off the menu and the Pizza company give you a personal pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rwilson_ie

Ta everyone - might see if there are any opportunities locally.

It's gas - over the years, you always hear or people in the US "working two jobs" and it seemed so far away.

What to do - do I trim down the lifestyle and get by on less ? Or keep the lifestyle and get a second income ?

I'm not saying a delivery job is going to make or break me - but it adds extra cushion / savings in hard times.

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

It's gas - over the years, you always hear or people in the US "working two jobs" and it seemed so far away.

i have had two jobs for the last 3 years and guess what - i work in the public sector, thats how much money i earn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Im very much with Mr Pink on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

One of my friends from home used to work chinese delivery. He got paid the full delivery charge (between €2 and €10 per order as it was rural so a €10 trip could take 20mins each way) plus tips, and €5 per hour fixed rate (in his own car). He also had to man the counter/take orders/phone orders. Not great money when business was slow but on a busy night you could get €150 for 5hrs work. Free food too.

He was a cnut for getting tips though. Used to wear this big bomber jacket with loads of pockets and fumble in them for change until the customer just let him keep it. So if your next pizza guy does the same you know what he's up to!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

About 5 years ago my ex was looking into doing deliveries for a local chines.They paid 30 euro plus you kept the delivery charge from all orders..i think the fee was 1.50 per order.
    I would imagine the rates have gone up a bit but thats the ballpark.
    Places are always looking for drivers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭graham13

I deliver for my local Chinese and will make anything between €140-€200 for the night.€35 pay for the night,€2-€2.50 per delivery and then whatever tips on top of that.Usually do about 40-50 drops per night.

Never heard of anywhere paying for petrol.The pizza deliveries aren't worth it imo.Usually only give you €1.50 per delivery no matter what the distance and can only do one drop at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I was kinda shocked last week when a guy driving a really expensive car delivered my pizza. I didn't chat to him, just took my food and paid him but without meaning to offend anyone a person with a car like his would not have been delivering pizza a few months ago. I can only assume the extra money was needed to pay the loans for things like said car.

To the OP I think it's definitely worth trying, wasn't it on the news recently that 4*pizza are opening more outlets and employing more staff as people are staying in instead of going out.

And if any company wants to deliver the wine with the takeway that would be so handy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Is this before or after tax? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I think most delivery drivers are payed under the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TIA
    Rob
    More than the unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Be aware that you have to declare to your insurer that you're driving the vehicle for business purposes and this will inflate your insurance costs.

If you have a crash while carrying five chinese bags, the Gardai will report it and your insurance could be invalidated, leaving you with a hefty bill, a fine and a driving ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i have had two jobs for the last 3 years and guess what - i work in the public sector, thats how much money i earn

you should join the esb... average 76,000 a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Your going to keep earnign that though. Some of us will be/are already on €204 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Teferi wrote: »
    I think most delivery drivers are payed under the table.
    Depends on who you work for. This was true of the chinese I worked at; those drivers made a killing. But besides delivery fees which might land you a fiver for the far-out stuff your attitude determines your real tippage. When our elder driver went out he was a cordial bastard, and came back raking it in. Other lad dealt drugs out of his backseat, sweated from taking too much E and generally moaned when people gave him fck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pizza might be best seeing as you aren't Chinese.

/awh

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

My main probelm with doing that job would be getting called to a house where they bash you up and nick your car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Degsy wrote: »
    My main probelm with doing that job would be getting called to a house where they bash you up and nick your car!

Yeah, and the worst part is you couldnt go to the Gards becuase you'd never know how to track the guys down.............

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah, and the worst part is you couldnt go to the Gards becuase you'd never know how to track the guys down.............

I should've clarified.
    getting bashed up and having your car nicked,but NOT obviously by the people in the gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Stekelly wrote: »

Do you imagine someone coming out of thier house, taking the food, kicking the driver aside, stealing the car and driving... into their garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Neesa wrote: »
    Do you imagine someone coming out of thier house, taking the food, kicking the driver aside, stealing the car and driving... into their garage?

Sure, it would be a drive in take away.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement