Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JC Decaux signs - take extra care

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

(I'm not convinced the surveyors mark is necessarily connected with the sign).

It is. It is referenced in the planning permission.

The background to this is DCC granting planning permission, for a sign that benefits them (whoo look at our shiny new bikes) and benefits JC Decaux for about €100m upwards (or about €100,000 per bike)

The signs were the subject of individual planning permissions by JCD (120 in total, so to object to them all would cost you €240). Naturally they were all granted permission apart from the ones when they screwed up and tried to put them on Grafton Street and O'Connell Street, conveniently ignoring that they are architectural conservation areas. These were they were swiftly withdrawn, presumably when it was pointed out to JCD. Interestingly, 'Bertie's' sign in Drumcondra was also withdraw.

Well, several individuals appealed these to An Bord Pleanala. A total of 24 signs went up for appeal (at a cost of €210 + €80 for an Oral Hearing request - you don't get any of that back if you win, unlike the courts. Ireland is also the only European country where a charge is levied to exercise your democratic rights)

All 24 were rejected by the Inspector's report, unfortunately the Board decided to allow a handful to be erected. The inspector highlighted the safety concerns and so did the Dublin Transport Office. One of the signs under appeal was actually withdrawn during that appeal, as the roads engineer admitted it wasn't safe.

So now there are 72 of these to go up, and these are just the pavement sized ones; there is worse to come.

These are coming soon....
    PICT0066-1.jpg

Just heard an emergency motion will be put to the Council tonight calling for a complete halt to all work until a Health and Safety review has been conducted.

Tune in ... they usually have to be taken before 9pm

Meeting just started

http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/site/#webcast

Well done everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Get this sent to every newspaper in Ireland and a good rake of them in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MadsL wrote: »

The background to this is DCC granting planning permission, for a sign that benefits them (whoo look at our shiny new bikes) and benefits JC Decaux for about €100m upwards (or about €100,000 per bike)

I'm lost here ...what are those bikes you're talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

J*sus..that's scandalous lads...

As you know I'm in DCC (but not the city manager :rolleyes:) I'll get onto head of roads n traffic in the morning with those pics..

J*sus heads will roll over that :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That is shocking :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

peasant wrote: »
    I'm lost here ...what are those bikes you're talking about ?

Some marketing guru went to Amsterdam for a weekend and came back full of ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hanley wrote: »
    That is absolutely astounding.

Great post.

+1. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Just got a reply from one of the councillors i texted, Christy Burke.

"I made rep hear at city hall in the last 10 mins, CM will investigate asap"

• Advertisement

The City Council just passed a emergency motion (unanimously and agreed as without debate) that;

All work be halted on the JC Decaux scheme until a complete health and safety report has been issued (words to that effect)

Christy mentioned the emails and texts that he received - so thank you all that made the effort.

Of course city management wriggled like crazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

The City Council just passed a emergency motion (unanimously and agreed as without debate) that;

All work be halted on the JC Decaux scheme until a complete health and safety report has been issued (words to that effect)

Christy mentioned the emails and texts that he received - so thank you all that made the effort.

Of course city management wriggled like crazy....

The system works! :eek:

Well done! thread of the Week !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

I think the billboard should be replaced (a few feet further back) with a massive bronze statue of MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

YIPPEE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Someone should get political legend Noel Ivory on the case imho!

Nice work MadsL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great progress, lets hope it turns into a result.

Great result for Boards, if councillor were in any way influenced by emails from here!

The system works!

Only if you use it....

Well done everyone....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Only if you use it....

Well done everyone....

Well done to you for getting it started!!

Maybe you can tackle fuel prices now... like that other guy :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

SteveC wrote: »
    Because, like most employees of the state, they are only paid from the neck down.

Thinking for themselves is not something permitted by their union.

Unfair post ,remove it please

cheeky maybe ...but in light of the facts not entirely inappropriate ...post stays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It was badly worded, I explained my meaning better here

Sorry if it offended you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Just logged on and because im familiar with the area i read your thread. Amazing work!!!Well done!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

SteveC wrote: »
    It was badly worded, I explained my meaning better here

Sorry if it offended you.

but you are still saying that unionised 'state workers' are responsible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Nice work there Madsl.

Don't know if you know the Rathmines area, but opposite St.Mary's they've erected a similar type structure right in front of the empire take away. I haven't used the junction there yet, since the sign went up, but i'd say its a disaster for traffic turning onto the Rathmines road. Disgraceful planning tbh.

Roddy could you post up a pic if you get chance....

I'll try and make it over tomorrow.

copacetic wrote: »
    but you are still saying that unionised 'state workers' are responsible for this?
    Can we maybe, just the once, have a boards thread that doesn't descend into a bickering match over a minor detail?

SteveC has clarified his remark and apaologised ...that should be enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

peasant wrote: »
    Can we maybe, just the once, have a boards thread that doesn't descend into a bickering match over a minor detail?

SteveC has clarified his remark and apaologised ...that should be enough.

Who actually put the sign there hardly seems a minor detail. Surely it is the main issue? In SteveCs clarification he still says the same thing, that unionised state workers put it there.

It was Wallace Construction (I think) put it up they seem to have the contract for the contract works.

Planners approved it (although the site map was a red dot on a map, very informative)

copacetic, if it makes you happy, I fully retract my remark(s) and apologise, once again, if it offended anyone.
    As Peasant said, lets stay on topic and not spoil a great thread.

Peasant, please feel free to delete my post and any quotes of it in an effort to stop this going OT.

• Advertisement

It was Wallace Construction (I think) put it up they seem to have the contract for the contract works.

Planners approved it (although the site map was a red dot on a map, very informative)

Do you know if something like this is subject to the usual planning rigramole - i.e. commencement of works and completion certs.

All of which have to be approved by someone in the planning office - which is ultimately the responsibility of the local council?

Or have I got that totally wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement