Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greencard info...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

People shouldn't use that site. It charges for it services. I've heard that its fake. It tries very hard to look like an offical government site. It's free to apply for a green card and people should only trust sites with a .gov exstention.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

if you can show me proof that it is a fake site it will be taken down,
    no proof = opinion and does not make it so.
    It looks legitimate to me so until proof is seen it will stay.
    thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

it is real, it is not uncommon for govt sites to be .org, if you go on a .gov site you are probalby accessing a branch of the federal govt. with the .org there is a fine line between govt an non-profit agencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 colourful days

The Department of State has only one National Visa Center and Kentucky Consular Center. Other organizations using similar names have no connection to the U.S. Government. There is no fee charged by the Department of State for submitting an entry to the lottery program. A diversity processing fee is only charged when a winning lottery entrant applies for the diversity visa.

Here is the correct site. :cool:

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lori

It's not 'fake' as such. There are dozens of sites which will, for a fee, put your application in for you. However, they are charging a fee for something you can very, very easily do for yourself. They can't get you a visa any easier than if you did it yourself, and they are prone to making it sound like they are the official way of applying for visas when they're not. They're private companies looking to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wonderwall_

on the site it says its not the offical govt site, what govt site gives you free plane tickets?? haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

on the site it says its not the offical govt site, what govt site gives you free plane tickets?? haha.

They even copy the US DoS font for titling, etc., . Sort of ridiculous business to be in as it's all online now and takes 5 mins to send details in over secure connection.

I'd recommend anyone who wants to guarantee there application gets entered does it on the official website, between the Nov-Dec period each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adnerb

Wow, i didnt realise that you could apply for free, i logged on last week to apply for a greencard and then it was looking for credit card details which i didnt have, so i had kinda of forgotten about it. then last night i got a phone call from a girl saying she wanted to complete the processing of my visa and she would take the details over the phone, i told her i didnt have a credit card and i would have to get the details from a friend, she was very persistant and said we could make a conference call and phone my friend i said i didnt wish to do this and she starting saying that she was finishing work in 2 hours and my application would not be processed if i didnt get the details immediatly, this made me suspicious,so i fobbed her by saying i wouldnt have the details for 20 minutes, in exactly 20 min my mobile ran, and again and again... then she phoned my house phone asking my mom to confirm my mobile. i must say it was all a bit strange. has anybody confirmation of the news laws about overstays, if you overstay by 6 months you get a 2yr ban, it your back before 1yr you get a 3 yr ban?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

never give yours or anyone elses cc # to anyone who is calling asking for it.
    Its free to apply...what was the website? you may have run into a scam ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

personaly i would remove that .org link.most if not all us govermebt sites now end in .gov
    the greencard lottery 2007 is starting on the 5th of this month.the site isnt up untill then but you can look here for info http://dublin.usembassy.gov/ireland/washfile2.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Most sites online asking for money to process the application are scam businesses.

Its free to apply for a visa through the lottery system.

Even with myself, i applied and was approved for the fiance visa and it only cost me the 165 dollars for the application.Just make sure you double check everything and you will be fine. Im waiting to hear from the dublin american embassey regarding my interview with them, hopefuly get the letter next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I've just applied for the green card thing...........for free by the way.

What are the chances of getting one?
    Roughly.

Anyone know?

i was reading somewhere on some website or it could have been on boards but its about 15 to 1 chance which i surprised about.Maybe its wrong i dont know. Best of luck with the application.

i dont know how many applyed from ireland last year but i know that 147 visa's were given to irish people.so the odds arent that good tbh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 picker

where to apply if you want a job to temporarily move to ireland?

i think ireland is like the usa,you will have to get an employer here to apply for a work permit for you.

as far as i know you wont be able to apply for one yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 picker

As a nurse, I want hospital work, do you know if that is a viable market as far as need?

im not sure but i would say that being a nurse you would have a very good chance of getting a work permit for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

galwaydude wrote:
    i was reading somewhere on some website or it could have been on boards but its about 15 to 1 chance which i surprised about.Maybe its wrong i dont know. Best of luck with the application.

I have heard 3% and I have heard 10%. One year I heard they had 55,000 visas and 1,000,000 applicants, which makes 5.5% getting a first round offer, assuming they all had everything filled out properly. Probably a few more getting a second round offer.

I have no recollection where I heard those numbers, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

from http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1317.html

Applicants registered for the DV-2005 program were selected at random from over 6.3 million qualified entries received during the 60-day application period that ran from 12:00 AM on November 5, 2004, until midnight, January 7, 2005.

Approximately 90,000 applicants have been registered and notified and may now make an application for an immigrant visa. Since it is likely that some of the first *50,000 persons registered will not pursue their cases to visa issuance, this larger figure should insure that all DV-2006 numbers will be used during fiscal year 2006 (October 1, 2005 until September 30, 2006).

90 000
    6 300 000

1.4% chance ... not great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zippybaby

Does anyone know how if you are required to stay a min. amount of days in the USA each year upon gaining a green card?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adnerb

i registered with both those sites mentioned below before i realised that you can apply for a visa free of charge. i followed their instructions and they were looking for over $100 for a years visa. they offered to do all the administration for me for a fee, i assumed that i was appling for a 2006 visa but when i logged onto the proper visa web site the closing date for this had already passed. i backed out before i gave my credit card details and then the torment started, i am receiving about 5 emails every day todate, and i was receiving phone calls to my mobile and home phone daily and they were putting enormous pressure on me to give them my credit card details or i would miss out on a visa because they could gaurantee i got one. it all became very annoying and i would advise peolpe to steer clear of these websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 toaster

fli wrote:
    im not sure but i would say that being a nurse you would have a very good chance of getting a work permit for here.

Isn't Ireland short of trained medical professionals though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rayzor

Avoid this website - its a money making machine at your expense. Its reported that they don't send all entries into the draw.
    They will also ring you to 'upgrade' your Lottery entry order to purchase books, cds etc.. and eventhough you may decline the offer - they'll deduct it from your credit card anyway.
    Be Aware!

i second that.

That website is very shoddy indeed.I half filled out an application over a year ago.I didnt send it through as didnt have a digital picture of myself.Thank god i think.A year later i still get bloody spam emails telling me to take a chance and fill out the form if you want to follow your dream of going to the states.

Any website which asks for money to help you with your application is dodgy indeed.

Anyways i got my fiance visa and depart for the states on march 7th. It took just over 4 months from start to finish.Would have been quicker only for the gardai messed me around with the police certification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

galwaydude wrote:
    Would have been quicker only for the gardai messed me around with the police certification.

Interesting - I have to get a polis character cert soon myself - what do you mean by "messed you around"?

well first of all when i went to my local station ,they took my details and the garda said it would take 3 weeks.After 3 weeks had passed i went to the station who fobbed me off with excuse after excuse so finally i got a nice female gardai who took my details again.She checked my application and was told they never received it in the first place.I was raging as i had to cancel my visa interview to that stupid mistake. Anyways she arranged the certificate and i got it in less than 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i have to say when i applied for my greencard, the gardai were very awkward also. i went into my local station, they filled out a form and it had to be sent off to Dublin. its just the attitudes of the gardai, it seems like its such a difficult chore for them.

Me: I want to get a certificate of character for an American visa.
    Them: *big sigh* well it might take 2-3 weeks, it has to be sent up to the district headquarters and then Dublin ya know?
    Me: Thats fine.*queue rolling of the eyes*

Weird - I have to get two certificates, one from the UK police because I live here, one from the Irish police because I used to live there. The UK one costs money and can take up to six weeks - it's a tenner, I believe. The Irish one is free, but I have to write to the superindendent of the area in which I used to live and request the cert.

You can't get a cert for anything over here without paying. When I was renewing my 10-year passport, my doctor over here wanted something ridiculous like £26 or something to sign two photos - which, incidentally, since the man really couldn't pick me out in a lineup, is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

MAJD, just make sure to get those certificates in plenty of time before your actual appointment or interview with the US consulate.

Hey guys - here's a quick update on this for you. By the way Ruu I'll be applying to the Australian Consultate, not the US guys.

Basically, I typed up and printed a letter to the local Superintendent of my home-town garda station explaining my plans and that I needed a certificate of character. I arrived at the station, in person, with the originals of my passport, driver's licence and birth certificate and photocopies of each document.

I had to spend a long time talking to the desk clerk guy - he was a very young garda, and started by telling me what I needed, as opposed to listening to me: "You'll need a number of certificates of character if you're going to work with children". Eh, hello? Children? Do you know me?

Anyway - I literally spent about half an hour at the station with the chap, he in and out of the back room to ask questions like a yoyo. He stamped and signed all the copies of my documentation, and accepted them together with my letter. He logged my application in the desk incident book - or whatever the large book is on garda station desks that notes the fact that you've been in.

To be honest I had to be really patient with him - he tried to send me to the Phoenix park, told me I was wrong twice, so on - but eventually I left thinking "right I've done all I can".

That was on 16th Feb.

...my certificate of character arrived in the post on 27th Feb. It isn't all bad. :)

at last, glad you got it sorted out :)

i second that.Glad it came afterall.

Only 7 days left for myself before i move to the states:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I'm posting this to add links to previous discussions on Green Cards etc. I'm sure a lot of us get tired of posting the same information, and digging up the same archives, every time someone asks similar questions.

Previous threads on Green Cards etc:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304622

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=192140

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869825

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Does anyone know when the closing date is for the next lottery and when the results come out?

and by the way whats the conclusion of this thread-which site is recommended to use?please post link nice one

• Advertisement

PROCEDURES FOR SUBMITTING AN ENTRY TO DV-2007

* The Department of State will only accept completed Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Forms submitted electronically at www.dvlottery.state.gov during the registration period beginning at 12:00 pm EST (GMT-5) on October 5, 200 5 and ending at 12:00 pm EST (GMT-5) on December 4, 2005.

I guess they will be announcing the next lottery sometime in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Anyone get theirs yet? Alas I fear I won't be one of the lucky ones this year as time is running out for 2007...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

If one was to win in this lottery as a single person, would they be able to marry someone (irish) soon after and both work over there?

SELECTION OF APPLICANTS

Applicants will be selected at random by computer from among all qualified entries. Those selected will be notified by mail between May and July 2006 and will be provided further instructions, including information on fees connected with immigration to the U.S. Persons not selected will NOT receive any notification. U.S. embassies and consulates will not be able to provide a list of successful applicants. Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 of successful applicants may also apply for visas to accompany or follow to join the principal applicant. DV-2007 visas will be issued between October 1, 2006 and September 30, 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stronger

Anyone know if letters have been sent out to successful Irish applicants yet? I.e. if I haven’t got one at this stage should I stop hoping and waiting on the postie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭underworld

Anyone any idea when the next application date is??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

As someone who has just gone through the process I can only stress the importance of your paperwork. Make sure everything is perfect. I spent five month's trotting up and down to Dublin from Limerick before I finally had everything they wanted. I am married to an American (that does not make it any easier) so the process my be slightly different.

And dont forget it does cost a bit, those of you who have received your letters may know that your medical costs over 300E, the initial application was 135E could be more now and the actual card was another 140E or so. If any of you are having problems getting the correct size photo's for your Visa the pharmacy across the road from the Embassy do the correct photo's. You would not believe the amount of pharmacy's that gave me the wrong size photo's even though I gave them the measurements supplied by the Embassy.

Good luck to all of you. It's not easy but it's worth it.

Congrats Abbey Lass, hope you are enjoying your life in the US. CHECK, CHECK and check again is the word of the day when it comes to the forms. I went through the exact same thing as you, Abbey Lass. I moved to Illinois in April '05 and it was expensive. :)The pharmacy a few minutes walk from the US Embassy in Ballsbridge do the proper sized photos for anyone worried about getting the wrong size, they are used to people coming in for that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

Ruu wrote:
    Congrats Abbey Lass, hope you are enjoying your life in the US. CHECK, CHECK and check again is the word of the day when it comes to the forms. I went through the exact same thing as you, Abbey Lass. I moved to Illinois in April '05 and it was expensive. :)The pharmacy a few minutes walk from the US Embassy in Ballsbridge do the proper sized photos for anyone worried about getting the wrong size, they are used to people coming in for that sort of thing.

Thanks Ruu. Yes I am totally settled in, I live in the country here in VA, which is a big change to this city girl but I'm loving it.

Indeed, I can't get used to the IL weather (too humid!) and how flat it is here, will probably have to take a trip back home soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Hi. I know this is a shot in the dark but, does anybody know of an easier way of obtaining a work permit, besides applying through visa the diversity program? How about the posibility of studying in the US?

I think the only visa for studying in the US is the J1, I'm not 100% though and you have to be already enrolled in college in Ireland. Perhaps there is an exchange program, again not entirely sure.

How long does the visa diversity program application usually take? And when do applications for 2008 begin?

Thanx.

Well the requirements for the 2008 lottery have not been announced yet but should be shortly. Normally you send in your application by October I think, then if you are one of those picked then you will be notified the following Summer, then there are a few things to go through after that, so it could take some time to process. :( Actually I came across this site regarding studying in the US, Education USA.

Thanx Ruu. So it looks like around a year or so. Studying might be an option for me, if I could find a college cheap enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement