Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

0FC6EAE5DEC54B1FBB469BBD087F95FF-0000315931-0003547452-00800L-FF2C217AB3B64A9EBB04FAD290192C67.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the white things are on this shrimp? It doesn't seem to bother it in the slightest, but it does move by itself (ie is alive) and I'm just wondering if I need to really start worrying?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

That's scutariella japonica, I'd worry a little bit but not too much.

They come off with the moult so pick them out when you see them to remove as many parasites as you can that way. They can also be treated with a salt dip. If you google them you'll find some ways to get rid of them.

Also, nice photo.

Did you buy the shrimp recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Got 6 of them about 3-4 weeks ago and hadn't seen any before that.

Seems like it's common enough and that salt dips are the best way to get rid of them. Have some salt available so will defo give it a go tonight when I do my weekly water change...

Thanks a mill!

BTW, the photo is from a Samsung S3. Was just lucky the little fella was sitting nice and still near the glass... :)

Advertisement