Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Residential Rental Building Superintendent

Options
  • 20-07-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

That's the title of the job known as a "Building Super" on the East Coast in the States. Also referred to as a "building manager" in the Midwest in the States.

You manage the admin. and plant services-and you live on-site: If it's a big place, it comes with a salary and insurance. If it's a smaller place-you get your apt rent free. It's pretty straight forward.

I've done this job three different times. It's a normal, regulated, proper job in America. I googled it this morning and there were over 400 jobs listed under those two titles in New York alone.

Dublin has acres of residential apartment buildings, but no job for a "super". Why not? Just because somethings never been done before, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Hundreds of qualified people and thousands of bldgs in Ireland - you'd think we could problem solve together on this one?

If you've got a building or complex and are reading this-please drop me a line if you're interested. It's work I enjoyed and was good at and I'd be happy to do it again.

If you're wondering about it: here's a link to the job description: http://www.worky.com/workypedia/building-superintendent-main-tasks/10/52/1876

Thank you and please fee free to re-post this in a different thread if necessary.

Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

These do exist, they are usually called janitors here.
    Our apartment block (200 odd apartments around a courtyard) has one; he gets a one bed apartment and a small salary. In turn he arranges for replacement keys, does the upkeep of stairwells and small green area, and minor repairs around the place. Very useful if you need to have a repairman in and cannot take time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elfay

Thanks for that, but Irish people don't often use the word "janitor"; may I just ask though why someone in Arkansas is moderating an Irish property forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I am not moderating this forum, and I am from Dublin, where I lived in an apartment with a janitor for 15 years (this is what his job title is). I now rent out that same apartment while we live in Arkansas for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We have them in Germany too and not just in big complexes. The flat we own here is in an old building with 12 flats in total and we still have a Hausmeister. He is retired and gets app. 2k a year + costs for taking care of small repairs. As mentioned-very handy if a utilities company needs to come round etc. We had our electricity meters exchanged for smart meters last week and nobody had to take time off work.

He rents his apartment as normal from one of the owners however and this would be the norm here. It's often a retired tenant who does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elfay

silja wrote: »
    I am not moderating this forum, and I am from Dublin, where I lived in an apartment with a janitor for 15 years (this is what his job title is). I now rent out that same apartment while we live in Arkansas for a few years.
    ah well that makes sense then. it was your profile; it says moderator.
    Arkanasas? interesting choice. I've an ex husband who is a Prof. down there somewhere. :)
    Thanks for the input and help

• Advertisement
Advertisement