Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopt an Elephant - legit sites?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've seen a few websites to 'Adopt an Elephant'. I want to give this as a gift. The only Irish ish one I've seen is www.GoneDigging.ie

Are all of these legit? Any to be recommended or avoided?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

What about Dublin Zoo? They do an adopt an animal scheme and I would imagine that includes elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thank you.
    I'll try that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Always love looking and reading on this site

http://www.elephants.com/
    the elephant sanctuary in Tennessee. It is where the internet hits Tarra & Bella live (dog and elephant best friends).
    i would love to visit it someday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 piccanicca

www.careforthewild.org is the best of them. My husband adopted an african elephant for his sisters birthday in Jan, and has got regular news letters since (plus if you go for the childs option - you get a gorgeous toy elephant to boot).

ww.bornfree.org.uk is a very long established organisation, but they're a bit poor on their promised up dates (just a warning).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, based in Kenya, does wonderful work in rehabilitating orphaned elephants and returning them to the wild. I visited their centre when I was holidaying in Kenya and can't speak highly enough of what I saw. They were also featured in the BBC series Elephant Diaries

They have a fosted an elephant scheme on their website http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

The beauty of it is that by adopting one with them, you will be directly supporting the charity rather than going through some middleman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Dublin zoo while offering fostering for many animals unfortunately doesn't offer elephants.

I actually went with The David Sheldrick Trust and have sent the gift of fostering a young female which has been well received.

Advertisement