Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Barrys Tea advert

• 15-05-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

This ad is really really grinding my gears. Its the one where she has known 'Matt' for years and he asks her out. The thing that annoys me is she fluffs her words in the last second of the ad and I dont know what she says. And everytime I see it I listen to it, and it just annoys me further.

She says: "And I say to him, is this a date? And then he says 'I dunno, is ????"

Does she say "it is"? or "is this"? or "is it"? All I can hear is "isis"

Can someone put me out of my misery, or better still take it off the air?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm pretty sure it's "is it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

"And I say to him, is this a date? And then he says 'I dunno, is it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is is it, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

But her voice does not go high like it should when she is asking a question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I believe this is the female equivalent of: "Drink pawtucket ale and hot women will have sex in your back yard".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i dunno... does this matter at all? I mean come on its an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

hahaha I know exactly what you mean OP. The reason for it is the idiot girl puts a TH on the end of it. She also does it when she says "remember Matthhhh" - drives me insane.

"I don't know, is iTHHHHHH??"

he looks like a total gimp too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

What she doesnt know is that 'Matt' is a psycho rapist who by the end of the night leads her home , and forces his God Stick into her aft shamecave and thrusts accordingly. After he plants his seed in her, he beats her to death with a Kettle full of Fresh Barrys tea.

Walking out of her home with blood on his mouth and a crazy look on his face he mutters his murderous catchphrase "every day should have its golden moments".

Its MATH. Not Maths.

ffs ppl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't care what she says, she's hawt! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

She's saying "is it?" but putting on a lame accent. It's one of the most horrendous ads ever and hurts both my eyes and ears.

By the way, Lyons is WAY nicer than Barrys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dudess wrote: »
    She's saying "is it?" but putting on a lame accent. It's one of the most horrendous ads ever and hurts both my eyes and ears.

By the way, Lyons is WAY nicer than Barrys.

Aren't you supposed to be from Cork? How come you're missing the Barry's gene that every Corkonian is endowed with?:) Barrys is better than Lyons...flops arm in air and gets ready for duel.

That ad is doing what it was intended to do-get people thinking of de Barrys. Like those Meteor girls...you know, the ones that everybody loved last year.

I'm going for a cup right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't care what she says, she's hawt! ;)
    GTFO.

link?

Aren't you supposed to be from Cork? How come you're missing the Barry's gene that every Corkonian is endowed with?:) Barrys is better than Lyons...flops arm in air and gets ready for duel.
    Well I'm a Corkonian who "tinks outside de box" - a rebellious rebel if you will... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Well I'm a Corkonian who "tinks outside de box" - a rebellious rebel if you will... :)

Tinks outside de box of teeeee? I bet you use de loose leaf teeeee tooooo-de bags are not good enough for you?:p

Just in Irish I'm afraid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiYAzDVGKU&feature=related

I'm sure you'll get the picture. It's so unbelievably, woefully lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

It's cringeworthy that ad. There's nothing in it that would make a person want to buy bloody barrys tea bags..

But....people are talking about it and thats all that matters, we may buy barrys tea when we are next in the supermarket now, cos we have thought about it.. That's advertising (bad or otherwise!!)..

eoin_s wrote: »
    GTFO.

GTFO yourself! She is hawt. FACT!

• Advertisement

Ugh, she's all yours! Not my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All part of their new marketing campaign.

Barrys: $hit in any language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If she makes a good cuppa what does it matter.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Ugh, she's all yours! Not my cup of tea at all.

Argh! You can get your coat now.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Heh, "cá bhfios?"="who knows?", which means he probably means "is it?" in an ambiguous, mysterious, romantic sense.

<3 Gaeilge and its dispute resolving powers.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    "is it?" in an ambiguous, mysterious, romantic sense.
    Yep, that's one of the many irksome aspects of that ad - the way it tries to be the above. Oh how interesting that the ending isn't quite tied up... And did you ever see any guy as girlie and bland as "Matt"?! Reminds me of a teen mag Lisa was reading in The Simpsons entitled "Non Threatening Boys"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

turn off TV = happy ending.

and she's not hot. but she's made look worse than she is coz of a really dodgy haircut.

Heh, you should forward your complaints to Barry's Tea in writing, Dudess.

Next thing you know they'll be promoting "Barry's XTREME Tea" - for those with reckless lifestyles and unimaginably filthy sexual perversions.

Or I could just call in - they're only down the dual carriageway from where I work. I wonder do they drink coffee on their breaks? Or do any of them drink Lyons tea?

• Advertisement

My God, the scandal that would ensue if such facts emerged.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I just wish they'd stop trying to make running storylines with their ads for tea. I do not want to feel like I've grown up with the people in the ads or to see what my favourite adcharacters on Ad City or Advertisement Street are up to this week. I want to see gorillas playing drum solos and elephants hitting an annoying person in the face.

Still, the tea ads are way better than the Kenco ads.

Banana Republic guy: "Hello, you must be from Kenco"
    Wimmin: "Sexist bastard"

: oldrolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Hudson 4 ever

No you're right she is saying Isis, she is refering to the Oxford University second eight who compete against Goldie, the Cambridge second eight, in a yearly competition on the same day as the Oxford Cambridge blue race. It is made up of those who missed out on the selection for the first crew, and this year they beat Goldie by three lenghts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    Its MATH. Not Maths.

ffs ppl.
    Clue - it's short for Mathematics it's plural.

Still can't understand how people in the US can't tell the difference between ONE and MANY :pac:

she looks like a vulcan off of star trek. no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't know what she says nor do I care, but someone needs to slap her. Hard.
    Zzippy wrote:
    I don't care what she says, she's hawt!
    Hawt? lmao should have gone to specsavers I fear.

F*cking pretentious bullsh*t...it's tea you's are selling not bloody mascara....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

she looks like a vulcan off of star trek. no thanks

Actually she looks like a tranny Vulcan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Her eyes are a bit wonky. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Wertz wrote: »
    I don't know what she says nor do I care

You cared enough to bump this thread after 7 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Will the footballer and the managers daughter ever get together on the other ad? They have been on TV for years and I want closure.

• Advertisement

Sabotage wrote: »
    Actually she looks like a tranny Vulcan.

Or even like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

jhegarty wrote: »
    You cared enough to bump this thread after 7 months

Oh noes! Did I post in an old thread?? I forgot the unwritten AH rule that you can't post in a thread that's more than 3 days old . I've reported my post and sent myself to prison for my sins...
    I was searching to see had anyone else posted on the ad in question (they usually end up in the adverts thread in TV forum), but I was heartened to find that it had a whole thread dedicated to itself in AH so I felt it was only right to stay on topic which was did anyone know what she said. I didn't and then added my own take on the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Who cares, it tastes greaaat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Who cares, it tastes greaaat

Its not a frosties ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

i dunno... does this matter at all? I mean come on its an ad.

I matters unbelievably! This ad drives me crazy...I'm glad someone brought this up. Every time it comes on it boils my blood, and the worst thing is once I see it, I can't stop quoting it.

She does say "is it?" but does so in a ridiculously annoying accent, she sounds like a fifty-year-old Foxrock Soccer Mom who sits at home drinking G&Ts all day.

"Eye jenow, isitsh?"

GRRRRAAAAGH!

[RANT OVER]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Her F,ucked up fringe really grates my cheese.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Yeah but, how does she think she scored like? She asks "is this a date?", the poor terrified guy doesn't know how to say no, so he says "I don't know - is it?", he is obviously SO not into her and she's acting like he's asked her to marry him.
    Plus, THE FRINGE!!!
    Most irritating ad ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHH!!
    Please!for the love of god i thought i wouldnt have to relive that horror!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I saw her at electric picnic this year and she still had that annoying fringe. I feel sorry for her,she must get some level of abuse for that ad.

Advertisement