Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Quality Testing - private well

• 04-08-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

We've a water supply from a private well and I've noticed this weekend that there is white residue appearing in the kettle, it's thick enough to taste in tea and to look in the kettle you can see it clearly on the bottom (probably lime but who knows).

I need to get a water test done for contaminents, in the Midlands, Roscommon, where can I get a test done? and if there's a problem what could be the solution.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Theres a lab that does water tests at University College Hospital in Galway for a small fee. Probably offered by your local Health Board also - probably best to give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can pick up a ppm tester for use at home.
    It won't tell you what is in the water exactly, but it will give you an idea of levels.
    Bare in mind that even the cleanest tap water is might have about 100 ppm

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I was hoping to get someone to come around and do the test but I've no clue about how much it would cost, does anyone know?

I might call the local health board but I was on the citizensinformation site and it did mention something about having to pay for the test and the treatment, the paragraph looked pretty forceful, like if there is an issue then they would force you to fix it (I'd prefer to keep anything with civil servants out of it)

"Private wells
    If your water supply comes from a private well that supplies only your own house, you are responsible for monitoring your own water supply. You can do this by contacting the Environmental Health section of your Local HSE Health Office, who can organise testing to be carried out. It is not recommended that you take a water sample yourself as equipment has to be sterile. If the Local Health Office is testing your water for you, you must bear the cost of the testing yourself and if your water supply is contaminated, you must organise and pay for any treatment that has to be carried out."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Private lab about €120. They give you a sealed container which you open, fill with water and return to lab. Can take about a week to get the results.

ok, i'll give the hospital a call tomorrow, if anyone has a direct number for the lab then please forward it on.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

We've a water supply from a private well and I've noticed this weekend that there is white residue appearing in the kettle, it's thick enough to taste in tea and to look in the kettle you can see it clearly on the bottom (probably lime but who knows).

I need to get a water test done for contaminents, in the Midlands, Roscommon, where can I get a test done? and if there's a problem what could be the solution.

You could also try <SNIP>...they do a lot of testing nation wide and are very good at what they do.
    Cost is something im not sure off.

Mod edit: Do not post names or links to businesses. Read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dreadnought

The HSE will do it. Had my well tested and for €120 they will come out and collect the water sample and return bacterial and chemical results to you in the post. (takes 4-6 weeks to return all of the results) they also give you some details on suggested treatments to resolve any issues there are with the sample but they have not been forceful in any way about implementing those solutions.
    I will be following their instructions and getting them to test again to make sure water quality is fine before I start using the well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

The HSE will do it. Had my well tested and for €120 they will come out and collect the water sample and return bacterial and chemical results to you in the post.
    When we had it done, we collected the sample tubes from UCHG, then filled samples and brought back. Can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was a lot less than 120 - probably 50 (2-3 years ago).

That's be great thanks for the info.
    I haven't managed to contact them yet.

Anyone know about the white residue I see in the kettle? I presume it's lime it just seemed to be very visible and as I said you could even taste.

Advertisement