Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posters and the Litter Act

• 23-03-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

As I understand it, the Litter Act proscribes fly posting generally, but there is an exception window around elections.

I'v noticed posters recently with large pictures of candidates and a small panel below advertising something else. In particular, Emer Costello in D2 advertising a conference and SF posters in Louth advertising some local event (illegible).

This seems to me to be dodgy, if not downright illegal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭JP 1800

I have passed comment on this also while canvassing, the window for the erecting of posters for election campaigns is set at 30 day before the polls. Many if not all the parties are "circumventing" this rule by advertising a "public meeting" or something similar. This is just underhanded and those whom participate will not get my vote as it just shows how they view the rules.

www.jpkearney.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

It happened in Killarney for the Ard Fheis but all have since been taken down following Council Intervention. Have a read here.

Perhaps contact your own local Council and see what they have to say on this.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ronan Mullen is at the same nonsense all over the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colaheart98

Frank O'Rourke Fianna Fail has Celbridge plastered in posters since this morning!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The we buy your car for cash signs do my head in and they don't seem to be getting fined as they just keep putting up more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Bobking

Today my road and all the surrounding area have been remodeled to look like a spam website.

I would like to know if people in Mungret, Dooradoyle and Raheen area of Limerick are interested in having;
    one billboard or wall in one or two public areas (maybe the County Council offices and Mungret College, allegedly the site for a public park to serve these areas) for all local candidates to present their views on approved posters 30 days before election.

Would this serve the publics need for information on candidates?

Would this at least mean we could stop the constant line of posters?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The we buy your car for cash signs do my head in and they don't seem to be getting fined as they just keep putting up more.

Hard to fine when they have no fixed abode, is what the gardai are saying.

There's no austerity in poster printing for the anti austerity campaigners, up since Monday morning. Working class areas are plastered in them, but the leafy suburbs are exempt it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Bobking wrote: »
    Today my road and all the surrounding area have been remodeled to look like a spam website.

There is a candidate running here locally in douglas in Cork and oh my god! :eek:

spam website doesn't cover it, she has EVERY pole and light post covered, any chance she had for a vote is gone now because its the poster equivalent of constant spamming it's just annoying and i have 29 days to go of it (more if she doesn't take them down on election date)! :mad:

i wish the litter laws would at least have some kind of rule to stop this kind of thing happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tabnabs wrote: »
    There's no austerity in poster printing for the anti austerity campaigners, up since Monday morning. Working class areas are plastered in them, but the leafy suburbs are exempt it seems.

I've been following this closely as my area was covered in them a couple of days early. It was put to Ruth Coppinger and the AAA and this was her response
    The erection of some election posters 24 hours early by some supporters hardly ranks as a crime. It's hardly litter either.

She also brought Sean Fitzpatrick "getting off" into it for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Down these neck of the woods (Cork) loads of posters went up on Monday by the Anti Austerity Alliance (Mick Barry and that lot), followed by some Sinn Fein, Labour and 1 FG poster yesterday.

I emailed the Cork City Council complaining, they advised that they forwarded complaint to the litter department, have heard nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Bobking

It appears we all agree that the offending politicians couldn't care less about the law or the rules. Here also, http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/candidates-facing-fines-for-putting-posters-up-early-30209707.html Paul Murphy offers the excuse that someone else did it so he felt this freed him from obligation to the rules.

Also the roundabout in the picture looks dangerous because of the signage. Talk about spam.

Does anyone know of a way we can "hardly count as breaking the rules" in removing these signs?
    Ideally I would like to perform a public duty and make my roads safer but either way they got to go.

Any graffiti artist in the area want some free space?
    This sign is spam as is the next and the next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Under law the signs are private property, so interfering with them is illegal. There are quite specific regulations that have to be adhered to (can't be under 6ft on a pole and you can't block junctions for example), so you can report the offending posters to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

The Crowne Plaza in Blanch SC has been using it's facade as a billboard for years with posters advertising various events. Most recent one has a large wedding pic and a smaller one with details that I presume they will update as time passes. It's not as if they couldn't afford advertising space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Old post but these stickers annoy me more and more lately. Can the Gardaí not ring the numbers on them (they have several different ones) pretending to sell a car, and then nail them for littering/defacement on a massive scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Old post but these stickers annoy me more and more lately. Can the Gardaí not ring the numbers on them (they have several different ones) pretending to sell a car, and then nail them for littering/defacement on a massive scale?

They should.

Also prank call them anyone that sees them up.

Numbers should be blocked right away.

Advertisement