Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Clean

• 01-11-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭

I want to seal up my car for the winter. It's going to become increasingly difficult to do the weekly clean over the next few months so I want to give it a proper going over this weekend. I have a lot of products and if I can avoid buying additional items I will.

I have Chemical guys black light and V7 sealant spray. My plan was to give the car 2 coats of black light and finish off taking any residue off with some V7 spray. Would that cover me?

Due to this late stage if I was to order online I would go with cleancar.ie to have it for the weekend (plus they are also sound:D). Would JetSeal 109 be a good option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I want to seal up my car for the winter. It's going to become increasingly difficult to do the weekly clean over the next few months so I want to give it a proper going over this weekend. I have a lot of products and if I can avoid buying additional items I will.

I have Chemical guys black light and V7 sealant spray. My plan was to give the car 2 coats of black light and finish off taking any residue off with some V7 spray. Would that cover me?

Due to this late stage if I was to order online I would go with cleancar.ie to have it for the weekend (plus they are also sound:D). Would JetSeal 109 be a good option?

For winter protection i would recommend getting a longer lasting sealant than blacklight and v7 combo. Jetseal or auto finesse tough coat maybe?

What colour is your car man?
    You could also get dodo juice supernatural hybrid, it apparently the best of both worlds, looks like a wax with the durability of a sealant :)

Also chemical guys acrylic blitz is meant to be good and its about half the price of jetseal.

Another option would be this collinite, which is meant to be indestructable and can be used on wheels too if im not mistaken! :)
    http://www.cleancar.ie/collinite-476s-super-doublecoat-wax.html

But if your stuck, what you have will be fine, if not as durable.
    Hope this helps :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That collonite wax looks very good.
    May get some myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Blacklight and V7 combo will give you about a months protection at most, in current conditions. Beading will have gone after about two weeks.

Jetseal 109 is a very durable sealant and with two or three costs, it should see you thought to a few weeks into the New Year...possibly longer with V7 as a top up on your regular wash.
    You'll get better durability with Chemical Guys Blitz.

As said Collinite 476s is an extremely durable wax...originally designed for marine protection, it would give similar durability of the Jetseal, without being quite as expensive.

If you think you will struggle to get a reasonably regular wash and you are mainly concerned about protection, you should look into nano technology, but will be more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

In that case I might try and get some JetSeal.

Does anyone know any retailers (i.e. bricks and mortar stores) that I could pick some up in South Tip/Waterford? Forgot to order anything yesterday.

My usual combo is two coats fo black light once a month and weekly v7.

Hate using wax...haven't got the patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Its hard to beat Collinite and Autoglym SRP. Wash 2 or 3 times, then 1 coat of SRP and 2 coats of Collinite. Then wash it with a wax safe shampoo once in a while, I left mine 2 months without a wash and its still beading water! Just give it a top up coat of Collinite each time you wash it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

In that case I might try and get some JetSeal.

Does anyone know any retailers (i.e. bricks and mortar stores) that I could pick some up in South Tip/Waterford? Forgot to order anything yesterday.

My usual combo is two coats fo black light once a month and weekly v7.

Hate using wax...haven't got the patience!
    You won't find jetseal in any B&M shops... either detailing shed or clean car is your best bet

Wound up giving it a coat of Meguairs Carnuba liquid wax, followed by two coats of black light and one of hybrid v7 to take the dust off from the others curing. It's beading very well now, must get some pictures up in a bit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

pedro7 wrote: »
    Its hard to beat Collinite and Autoglym SRP. Wash 2 or 3 times, then 1 coat of SRP and 2 coats of Collinite. Then wash it with a wax safe shampoo once in a while, I left mine 2 months without a wash and its still beading water! Just give it a top up coat of Collinite each time you wash it.

That sounds like a good approach.
    Will Defo grab some collonite this week

Super resin polish is horrible to use I find and the results aren't great. I used some about two months ago and I remembered suddenly whey I gave up using it in the first place.

Super Resin Polish isn't a bad product....good for hiding swirls, adding depth and shine. It's best used with one of AG protection products to seal it and prevent it being washed away; Extra Gloss Protection (very good sealant) or the HD Wax.

Using SRP and Collinite combo, may result in poor durability of the Collinite. It may not cure very well on the SRP. Generally when layering different products it's best to stick with ones from the same manufacturer as they are designed to work together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Klasse All In One is a fantastic product. They say you will get 6 month protection from one application.
    Finish my winter protection on my car about two weeks ago.
    Snow Foam,
    Wash , 2 bucket method, using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
    Clay bar
    Dodo juice Tarmalade - Tar Remover (great product)
    finished off with Klasse All In One.

Wheels
    Chemical Guys - Diablo Wheel Cleaner Gel
    WheelWax - The Ultimate in Wheel Protection

Nice winter protection there Ron....that'll see you through until the weather gets better! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Nice site you have there Curran, will be buying some stuff next week.

You are out of drying towels too :p Im thinking maybe i should just have my pay for next week directly routed to you :(

Curran wrote: »
    Nice winter protection there Ron....that'll see you through until the weather gets better! ;)

I'll redo it after xmas. I'm a small bit OCD (obsessive car detailer).

Does anyone have an opinion on snow foam use?

Nice site you have there Curran, will be buying some stuff next week.

You are out of drying towels too :p Im thinking maybe i should just have my pay for next week directly routed to you :(

Thanks! :)

Do you mean the Microfiber Madness drying towels? Best drying towel out there....reason they are out of stock, is because Microfiber Madness sent us an email last month saying that they are releasing a few new products (under wraps at the moment) some time in November (which I'm dying to try)...so we said we'd hold off on the order as they come from Germany!! And to be honest, we didnt think we'd have lost out waiting...a few people have asked us for them! :o

But go ahead and wire the wages through to us :D Gladly send you products in return! ;)

Some people will say its useless or pointless, but to be honest, Im a fan!
    Especially this time of year when the roads are in terrible condition, its a great way to suspend dirt and grit when rinsing down the car. You'll never get a touchless wash; where you snow foam and just rinse off (unless its only dust on the car from a dry spell), but I find it softens the dirt that isnt washed off when rinsed down. Another benefit, is that it keeps the shuts that little bit cleaner / prevents them getting dirty quickly again, as the foam gets in and keeps the clean!

Do you mean the Microfiber Madness drying towels? Best drying towel out there....reason they are out of stock, is because Microfiber Madness sent us an email last month saying that they are releasing a few new products (under wraps at the moment) some time in November (which I'm dying to try)...so we said we'd hold off on the order as they come from Germany!! And to be honest, we didnt think we'd have lost out waiting...a few people have asked us for them! :o

Yea the Chemical guys ones are out of stock too though, but yea it's the MM dry me crazy one i was after, have lots of small ones just need 1 decent sized drying towel

Klasse All In One is a fantastic product. They say you will get 6 month protection from one application.
    Finish my winter protection on my car about two weeks ago.
    Snow Foam,
    Wash , 2 bucket method, using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
    Clay bar
    Dodo juice Tarmalade - Tar Remover (great product)
    finished off with Klasse All In One.

Wheels
    Chemical Guys - Diablo Wheel Cleaner Gel
    WheelWax - The Ultimate in Wheel Protection

Where do you get that Klasse all in one from Ron ?

Thanks

Where do you get that Klasse all in one from Ron ?

Thanks

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/klasse-all-in-one-polish-and-sealant-500ml.php

It's a bit expensive but a great product none the less. I have had it for a number of years now.

I think that Klasse is a slightly tweaked version of Carlack 68

Cool thanks, must get some

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Especially this time of year when the roads are in terrible condition, its a great way to suspend dirt and grit when rinsing down the car. You'll never get a touchless wash; where you snow foam and just rinse off (unless its only dust on the car from a dry spell), but I find it softens the dirt that isnt washed off when rinsed down. Another benefit, is that it keeps the shuts that little bit cleaner / prevents them getting dirty quickly again, as the foam gets in and keeps the clean!

how come the motor factors don't sell this stuff:confused:....it only seems to be available online??

A motor factors is just mainly for car parts, etc...they sell a few bits of cleaning stuff as people might grab it while they are in there; same as you might see a chocolate stand in a DIY shop!

Halford's sell the odd few bits that would be considered good quality car cleaning products, but to get the best products you need to be looking into Detailing Products...which are usually only supplied online! :)

Which snowfoam do use yourself curran??

gollywog wrote: »

Which snowfoam do use yourself curran??

I use Orchard Auto Care's Cotton Candy
    Had 5ltrs of Autobrite Magifoam, which was good too, but found it was stripping the wax I had in the car at the time, Pete's 53...might be OK with other waxes, but it put me off it.
    Supafoam foams like crazy, but didn't have much cleaning action.

Sometimes mix them...like adding Supafoam if i want it to dwell longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

A motor factors is just mainly for car parts, etc...they sell a few bits of cleaning stuff as people might grab it while they are in there; same as you might see a chocolate stand in a DIY shop!

Halford's sell the odd few bits that would be considered good quality car cleaning products, but to get the best products you need to be looking into Detailing Products...which are usually only supplied online! :)

i can understand motor factors not selling snow foam, but the likes of Halfords who sell huge amounts of car cleaning products and DIY stores who sell power washers not selling it is a bit surprising..are they not aware there's a market for it?

Probably can't justify shelf space....could have something else in its place that will sell better.
    They don't sell snow foam lances, so no point in selling snow foam....they will sell a bottle type thing they claim is for foaming, but they don't do the job that a proper lance does.

The market for detailing is relatively small in Ireland...massive in the UK, but still the only real place to buy is online or the nearest detailer.

I use Clean car.ie own brand of snow foam.

http://www.cleancar.ie/cleancariesupersnowfoam-5litre.html

From other detailing forums a few people talk about chemical guys honeydew snow foam.

http://www.cleancar.ie/chemical-guys-honeydew-snow-foam-gallon.html

From what I understand about snow foam its a very strong mix of cleaners designed to try and lift off containments, thats why you leave it settle on the car for a few minutes while you get the buckets filled with hot water etc.

I have heard of a few horror stories in relation to snow foam, if its not washed off the car probably and is used as part of your washing process it can attack the rubber seals around doors etc.

Use with care I guess.

Actually what are peoples washing methods.

What products do you have in your arsenal for cleaning your car.

Also what products can you not do with out, a must have item.

Snow foam should not have strong cleaners in it...that'll stirp off protection. Also it should have no adverse on any part of the car for leaving it on too long.
    What you are mixing it up with is TFR foam (Traffic Film Remover)...similar to what get at a jet wash at a petrol station or at a quick wash place. Will have string cleaners to make coursing easier, strip wax and possibly stran plastics or rubbers.

The idea of snow foam is to suspend heavy dirt and grit in the foam, which limits damage to the paintwork...it will also soften the dirt on the car for the following two bucket method. Should not strip off the protection on the car.

• Advertisement

Actually what are peoples washing methods.

For a regular wash...
    Snowfoam, Rinse, Wheels, Rinse, Wash with Two Bucket Method (two mitts), Rinse, Dry with plush Microfiber Drying Towel
    What products do you have in your arsenal for cleaning your car.

Wouldnt like to make a start...Id be here a while! :D
    Also what products can you not do with out, a must have item.

If someone was to take every single bit of detailing gear I have, off me, and let me have a few things back, Id be fighting for my...
    Snowfoam Lance w/ foam, two buckets and grit guards, two mitts, drying towel, wax w/ applicator...With regular washing, Id be able to keep the car reasonably swirl free and looking quite well! :)

My routine is the same as currans to the tee! :D

heres a pic of some of my stuff, i think i gots a problem! :eek:

IMAG0382.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Do you store your detailing products in your bed :eek:

That takes it to a new level :pac:

Nice line up there gollywog!! Some very, very good products, but a few could I wouldnt be a fan of. For example the Demon Shine; it does a good job as a rinse aid and a quick detailer, on first appearance...but I find it has a negative effect on the protection on the car...and whats the Simoniz :D

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

Proper OCD* - sleeping with your products! :D

*Obsessive Compulsive Detailer

Do you do the same :p.

• Advertisement

Eeeeeerrrrr!!! No!! :p

Though I do smell every product the first time get my hands on it! A lot of them have had repeat smell tests! :D

That takes it to a new level :pac:

Ha ha nope i just threw em up on the bed for the photo!! :)
    Nice line up there gollywog!! Some very, very good products, but a few could I wouldnt be a fan of. For example the Demon Shine; it does a good job as a rinse aid and a quick detailer, on first appearance...but I find it has a negative effect on the protection on the car...and whats the Simoniz :D

Ya but it has its place too, like when a family member wants there car cleaned!! :D
    And the simoniz was bought before i knew a single thing about detailing lol!

Do you do the same :p.

Ha im bad but not quite that bad!

Ya but it has its place too, like when a family member wants there car cleaned!! :D
    And the simoniz was bought before i knew a single thing about detailing lol!

Ahhh yes, the back up "Detailing Gear" for the jobs when you know the person is just going to bring it through a brush wash the following week! :mad: Hate them jobs!! Always say to myself, "just do a quick job", end up spending ages, only for it to be undone in a matter of minute! :mad:

Actually think there is a few bits lying in a box, buried in the back of my Dad's shed, and if someone seen it, they'd think I was taking the mickey about being a detailer! :D Must be there, gathering dust of 8+ years!
    Turtle Wax, Simoniz, Son of a Gun, T-Cut old ripped up t-shirts, etc, etc :D

Eeeeeerrrrr!!! No!! :p

Though I do smell every product the first time get my hands on it! A lot of them have had repeat smell tests! :D

My approach is that if a detailing product smells nice it'll work fantastically and if it doesn't there is no hope for it :D I have been known to stand in halfords smelling products to see what I should get :p.

I agree with that mostly, but de-ironiser products stink and are great. And the odd product that smells bad is actually good. Manufacturers spend quite a bit of time choosing fragrances for products...and pigments too.

• Advertisement

IMAG0382.jpg

Ya I have the same routine except I don't have a grit guard most invest in one over winter.

You have great products in your collection. How do you find AF? I have heard alot of good things about AF products.

What is that "trix" bottle and the one to the right?

I'm off the opinion that all good car cleaning products must smell good. If you are going to be spending hours (all day) on a saturday/sunday then the last thing you want is crap smelling products.

Ironx haven't used it heard its magic, but I can't fault Dodo Juice Tarmalade, smells good too.:D

Ya I have the same routine except I don't have a grit guard most invest in one over winter.

You have great products in your collection. How do you find AF? I have heard alot of good things about AF products.

What is that "trix" bottle and the one to the right?

I'm off the opinion that all good car cleaning products must smell good. If you are going to be spending hours (all day) on a saturday/sunday then the last thing you want is crap smelling products.

Ironx haven't used it heard its magic, but I can't fault Dodo Juice Tarmalade, smells good too.:D

Well i have only used the wheel cleaner and tripple of the AF range, both are excellent, excellent products.
    I'll be trying more of their products in the summer :)

The trix is essentially iron x, but apparantly removes tar too.

And the one beside that is clearkote red moose glaze, according to detailingworld if you have a red car, thats the product to use, even though i havent yet lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lads, to be honest, forget about Iron X. It's alright and does what it says on the bottle but it's just not as good as OAC Iron Cleanse. This stuff sprays out like a gel and actually sticks to the surface unlike Iron X which sprays out like water and runs off. I have used both and I will never be using Iron X again.

Iron Cleanse is available from www.detailingshed.com

^^^^^
    He speaks the truth! ;)

All OAC products are excellent....only relatively new on market, and slowly starting to make a name for itself on Detailing World. Been using their products for almost a year now and have been recommending them since then, but its hard to convince people to change from their regular go-to products. Tar Cleanse is a superb product, expensive, but you use about 1/3 compared to similar products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Tar Cleanse is brilliant, spray on, let work for a few mins and power wash off. No rubbing needed as long as the tar isn't heavy.

It's a pity that detailing shed are out of stock of it at the moment as I was going to put in an order :(

It's a pity that detailing shed are out of stock of it at the moment as I was going to put in an order :(

They're out of stock, because the supplier is out of stock!

Lads, to be honest, forget about Iron X. It's alright and does what it says on the bottle but it's just not as good as OAC Iron Cleanse. This stuff sprays out like a gel and actually sticks to the surface unlike Iron X which sprays out like water and runs off. I have used both and I will never be using Iron X again.

Iron Cleanse is available from www.detailingshed.com

Im out of iron x now but listening to what your saying, i like the sounds of it, I'll give it a go!
    ^^^^^
    He speaks the truth! ;)

All OAC products are excellent....only relatively new on market, and slowly starting to make a name for itself on Detailing World. Been using their products for almost a year now and have been recommending them since then, but its hard to convince people to change from their regular go-to products. Tar Cleanse is a superb product, expensive, but you use about 1/3 compared to similar products.

Need new snow foam, cotton candy gets great reviews so think i shall be trying that next!
    Is it in stock curran??

Need new snow foam, cotton candy gets great reviews so think i shall be trying that next!
    Is it in stock curran??

Not at the moment. We're doing an order with them next week, so will have it then!

Not at the moment. We're doing an order with them next week, so will have it then!

That should suit perfect, thanks :)

Advertisement