Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a 1940's split cane fly rod ?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Hi, first time posting on this forum. I know nothing about angling, but have a split cane fly rod bought by my grandfather (A Merchant Seaman) in the far east, possibly Japan, in the late 40's or early 50's. The manufacturers name is 'NIKKO'.

Here are some pics, it's in excellent condition, in its' original box, and doesn't look as if it was ever used. Can anyone give me some indication if this item in this condition is rare ?

Thanks

DSCN5742.jpg

DSCN5752.jpg

DSCN5751.jpg

DSCN5750.jpg

DSCN5749.jpg

DSCN5748.jpg

DSCN5747.jpg

DSCN5744.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I have exactly the same rod. I was told that they were built late 40's and were sold to the American troops in occupied Japan. The same company also sold cameras and other tourist items under the same brand name. I am not sure it is rare but they do pop on e-bay from time to time. The one I have was used on a regular basis by my father in law as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Thanks bernard0368 :) It's been lying in the attic for years and years and was just a little curious about it, sadly the reel and flies are all on the missing list though :(

Advertisement