Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas tree recycling depot

Options
  • 07-01-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Like most of us, I need to recycle my Christmas tree now. Galway City Counsil has info posted on this -

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/060112_01.html

But
    1) it says the service is available from Monday 9 January, although Monday is actually 7 January, and

2) It says it costs €1, although on Doughiska Rd today I saw signs saying it cost €2. Is someone other than the city counsil doing this and charging twice as much? Or is this info also incorrect on the city site?

Just curious if anyone has more info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Were you looking at http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/060112_01.html ?
    That's from last year so could have gone up a bit.

This is newer
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/131212_01.pdf

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Really handy working hours, ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Two sites, a €2 charge and relatively restricted opening hours will prove counter-productive IMO.

Trees already being dumped at Grattan Road, which suggests that the Council will have a lot of clearing up to do later.

Unless it's all a clever plan to get law-abiding citizens to pay for clearing up after the fee-dodgers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Two sites, a €2 charge and relatively restricted opening hours will prove counter-productive IMO.

Trees already being dumped at Grattan Road, which suggests that the Council will have a lot of clearing up to do later.

Unless it's all a clever plan to get law-abiding citizens to pay for clearing up after the fee-dodgers...

Some locals have been told that that is where to bring their trees. Nothing being said by either Gardai or council employees to people dumping their trees there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Were they told that in a Council circular or by official announcements in the local papers?

If not then I wouldn't give such reports much credence.

There's a big notice on the gate at Grattan Road beach, stating clearly that Christmas trees are not to be dumped there, on pain of a €170 fine IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Fey! wrote: »
    Some locals have been told that that is where to bring their trees.
    By whom?

This is the current notice from the City Council http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/131212_01.pdf There are two locations: Lough Rusheen in Barna and Merlin Park Depot in Doughishka Park.

That's it, like. Anything else is just illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joycegalway

Hi all,

Like most of us, I need to recycle my Christmas tree now. Galway City Counsil has info posted on this -

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/060112_01.html

But
    1) it says the service is available from Monday 9 January, although Monday is actually 7 January, and

2) It says it costs €1, although on Doughiska Rd today I saw signs saying it cost €2. Is someone other than the city counsil doing this and charging twice as much? Or is this info also incorrect on the city site?

Just curious if anyone has more info!

Re: Christmas tree recycling
    No tree recycling at Grattan Road this year- times are really getting tough"
    "What do you expect Benny,what with all the money squandered on Eyre Square, the new traffic lights and so on"
    They are talking about cutting out the lights and other services in some areas that don't pay the property tax. While there at it they should close down the prom , it's I health hazard with all the ****e and racing bikes and all sorts of new fangled skates and someone is going the get knocked down and then they will have another lawsuit-like in the Square,cost millions I believe. And did you see those stupid humps in the road around Beach Court and Grattan Road- what's that about, no proper warning signs, God I nearly was thrown out of the ass and cart when I went over them. Who comes up with these ideas, sure we are becoming an Idiocracy instead of Democracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

You must know someone with a wood burning stove, if you don't have one yourself? Pine is lovely to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

By whom?

From what I've been told, a phone call to city hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BobMcBob

Went to dump my tree, but Rusheen bay depot closed,

now see the times - very handy having no weekend opening

Any ideas where I can dump the tree legally?

Thanks

BMB

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

BobMcBob wrote: »
    Any ideas where I can dump the tree legally?
    Find a wooded area and prop it up next to another tree. Nobody will know.

Advertisement