Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1998 Opel Astra Petrol wont start when hot

Options
  • 19-11-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have a 1998 Opel Astra hatchback (1.4 petrol) that is in pretty good nick. My problem is that last Friday after driving for about 80 miles to collect my daughter (enough to get the car well warmed up) I pulled into a petrol station and the car wouldnt start again. Electrics working perfect - radio, wipers, lights etc. Just nothing at all when I turned the key. I got a push from a few guys in a local garage and the car started again. When I got home I tried switching the car on again and wouldnt start again.

The following morning the car started without any difficulty. I drove my daughter back to school on Sunday and same thing happened - driving perfectly pulled in for petrol and again car wouldnt start. It was lashing rain so I waited for 40 minutes and let the car cool down again, and next thing it starts again.

Any ideas what the problem could be? The garage guy said its either the starter motor or he said something about there being a connection in the dashboard that may be loose??

Any help would be much appreciated guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

what you mean didnt start ? did it turn over an engine? or you switch key in to start position and no any sound goin from engine bay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blacklawlessd

The engine didn't turn over or try start. Turning the key to the start position there was nothing at all. No sound at all from the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

first of all, would have to look on to starter motor, also would recommend check battery. might it have not enough power turn alternator, but ok, for radio, lights, etc.

Also could be related to relay, or ignition contact group.

Any warning lights on dashboard ?

Id suggest you pop in into reputable garage with warm engine, check some components while acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blacklawlessd

Thank you Mar4ix, it sounds like a detective job for a garage. I'll do that, thanks!

Advertisement