Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AUDI A4 CAB 2.5 DIESEL

Options
  • 17-11-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi,

Im at my wits end with my situation.
    I bought my car off a colleague 5 months ago. has just passed the nct for 2 years, but the same week I heard a noise from the engine everytime I put my foot down on accelerator, a friend heard the noise and advised me to bring to garage. I did that and the garage told me that the Differential on car has been damaged due to no transmission fluid in the engine? I checked back through the service history of car (since 2010) and there was never any mention of the trans fluid being checked.. I have been trying to source some second hand parts to replace the differential but have had no luck.. Garage has advised that to replace the transmission in car will cost €4k, quote from Audi.... I paid 8k for car 5 months ago, and now I have to pay €4k to replace transmission.... I dont know what to do??? I dont think I will pay that for fix, so my question is, do I try and off load this car as is?? Is there anywhere that would take it off my hands...
    The car had a "full" service done before I bought it. and had had a service history prior... so how is it then that the trans fluid was not checked??? Im a bit confused about what to do next... ?? I cant afford a 4k repair? so if I try to off load it how to I do it?

Im kicking myself for not having a mechanic check it over... but it had a full service,, could the garage be liable?? I dont know??

Any advice would be great.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A few things:

1. Add transmission fluid. (presume it is still working?)

2. Get a second opinion.

3. Check www.traynors.co.uk for a replacement. (they are in the north, and deliver here daily).

4. Get quotes for a rebuild from some recommended gearbox centres.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I would do a full fluid change first, and see if this solves the problem. Failing that there is a advert on donedeal for a repair service in waterford for auto trannys ,might be the best way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 coppercat

does the car have a service history with audi ? if so enquire with the dealer about audi's genuine care service , even if you have no audi service history you can qualify for it by pre paying for the next service with the dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Boo27

Esel wrote: »
    A few things:

1. Add transmission fluid. (presume it is still working?)

2. Get a second opinion.

3. Check www.traynors.co.uk for a replacement. (they are in the north, and deliver here daily).

4. Get quotes for a rebuild from some recommended gearbox centres.

Hi esel ,

Yes, the garage added the trans fluid as the very first option and the noise was still there so he believes the differential is damaged

I have emailed traynors , fingers crossed

I have sent loads of emails today to get quotes

I would do a full fluid change first, and see if this solves the problem. Failing that there is a advert on donedeal for a repair service in waterford for auto trannys ,might be the best way forward.

Hi Anthony , could you pm me that link ??

• Advertisement

coppercat wrote: »
    does the car have a service history with audi ? if so enquire with the dealer about audi's genuine care service , even if you have no audi service history you can qualify for it by pre paying for the next service with the dealer

Hi coppercat,

The car was serviced twice in park motors in Dublin , so I'm not sure if that is having a service history with Audi ?? Genuine care service ?? Is this what they should be doing checked at full car services ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 coppercat

Boo27 wrote: »

Hi coppercat,

The car was serviced twice in park motors in Dublin , so I'm not sure if that is having a service history with Audi ?? Genuine care service ?? Is this what they should be doing checked at full car services ?
    audi genuine care is an extended warranty for older models , you can avail of it even if your car has never been serviced at the dealer by pre paying for your next service at the dealer who will assess your problem and audi will then make a contribution towards the cost of the repair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I don't know how often or if transmission fluid is changed on Audis. I have 188k on my allroad from new and it's never been done. I did some research on a US allroad site and the general consensus seems to be that it shouldn't need it and is better off left alone. It shouldn't need it as long as there isn't a leak obviously.

I do have a bit of a weep around a seal on the rear differential that I need checked. I would imagine a new differential is €€€.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dollarbills

Audi genuine care is the way to go....Went to my local Audi dealer and they explained the whole Genuine care process to me and it saved me over 50% on my repair. Only €159 for a service also. Great value:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

First off, is this a manual or automatic? Also, if it's auto, which type? Multitronic/DSG/etc?

VAG have moved increasingly toward "filled-for-life" in their transmissions i.e. it's filled at the factory and that's it. There's growing skepticism about this as diesel cars in particular tend to be run to very high mileage, often beyond the intended service life of the lubricant. IMO, gear oil is not that expensive so it's worth changing it every 3rd or 4th oil change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Would have thought there would have been a obvious oil leak (oil on ground where car parked) to you or previous owner if all the fluid/oil has drained from box??

Advertisement