Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about brakes

• 29-11-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Right so i have a 07 VW Touareg 2.5ltr and after getting the service i've been informed i need new brake discs and pads. No problem there, they're rusted from the car lying idle for a year. After having a quick look around my question is what kind of brakes to get. Whats the difference between Drilled Discs, Drilled/Grooved discs, 8 Groove Discs, 12 Groove discs and 16 groove discs...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Connorzee wrote: »
    Right so i have a 07 VW Touareg 2.5ltr and after getting the service i've been informed i need new brake discs and pads. No problem there, they're rusted from the car lying idle for a year. After having a quick look around my question is what kind of brakes to get. Whats the difference between Drilled Discs, Drilled/Grooved discs, 8 Groove Discs, 12 Groove discs and 16 groove discs...

Hardly any need to get any of the above unless you regularly over cook the brakes from hard driving.

But...if this is the case, then stay away from drilled disks as they are more prone to cracking in extended hard use....but again we're talking track use here, nothing that you could legally/safely do on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Generally speaking the more expensive the discs, the better heat resistant they will be, meaning they will be able to maintain normal operation during heavy braking.

If you are often stopping your car from 200km/h to 0 few times during few minutes, you should think about better discs. If though, you never experienced so far any deterioration in your brakes after heavy braking, that means that kind of discs you have now, will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

ah jeez no, it's barely driven over 100km/hr. It's just for everyday use. Cheap and cheerful, i was just looking to save a few bucks by sourcing them myself instead of the garage and just didnt know what the terms above meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

New discs after a year sitting idle:eek: Unless it was standing in a bog or the discs where gone before it was left up it should only be surface rust and a quick sanding with a decent drive will clear it off, just be careful braking the 1st couple of time. We've had cars left idle for longer and they just needed a spin to be working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

ah jeez no, it's barely driven over 100km/hr. It's just for everyday use. Cheap and cheerful, i was just looking to save a few bucks by sourcing them myself instead of the garage and just didnt know what the terms above meant.

Then you don't require any of the above types you listed. Just standard disks will do IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Thanks! Just out of interest, how much are standard discs and pads roughly?

Advertisement