Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Working out running costs

Options
  • 29-11-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Here is a question for more knowledgeable folk than me.

Here is a 2008 Fiat Bravo 1.4 for €4500 (I assume it has aircon but could be incorrect)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2640579

Here is an Irish favorite in the shape of a similar spec Auris petrol from 2008 selling for €9500 (I discounted low spec models to get one with aircon)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2528766

And finally the depreciation BUSTER the VW Golf for €8000
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2530967

All cars are as similar as I can get in terms of size, engine, mileage and spec.

Assuming running costs were all the same what would someone have expected to pay for these new in 2008 (doesn't have to be list price if you know they were available cheaper)

Also assume they will sell for their asking prices on DD, which car was the cheapest to buy and own.

Comments

Given your criteria I would think the Auris was as I doubt it was €1500 more than the Golf to buy new, so if they fetch their asking prices (which they won't) it looks like the Auris would be cheaper.

Similarly I'd be surprised if the fiat was €5000 cheaper than the auris new, although I might be wrong with that.

One of the weirdest threads I've seen on here tbh :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RoverJames wrote: »
    One of the weirdest threads I've seen on here tbh :P
    One of those nights sorry.

I couldn't phrase it the way I wanted to.

I suppose what I'm wondering was if say the Fiat could be bought new with discounts for say €17k while the Corrolla was €22k for a similiar spec to the Fiat which would you end up loosing the most money on after a few years

TBH I really think this thread was ill thought out but I was thinking of real world depreciation from new purchase price possibly not being as bad on some models as you would have though

I'll get my coat:o

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The auris luna was 23500 list from memory in 08
    Terra was 21900 I think

We were selling 08 hire drive lunas for about 17.5 straight at the time from memory,

Golfs were cheaper at the time when you took the standard aircon into account, but these were mk5 I think

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The auris was 23500 list from memory in 08
    Any idea what the Fiat was?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That German Tractor of yours no more ?

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »

I dunno buy nobody bought them, as said previously they sold off the 1.4 models for a song when the vrt changed

Something like 9k from memory with delivery miles.

List prices are irrelevant in any case.

MugMugs wrote: »
    That German Tractor of yours no more ?
    Nah it's still firing away every morning. In fact it's driving better than ever now, Saturday will have it driving faster than ever too ;)

As long as I don't put the handbrake on :rolleyes: it will move anyway. Not sure if people believed my excuse for my late arrival in work last Friday.

It'll be here until next summer anyway when I expect to win the lotto

As regards the above I was just wondering if larger Fiats were still the money pits in terms of depreciation which they have always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The Fiat Bravo new in 2008 would have been as list €19995,
    The Golf as new in 2008 would have been €21140,
    The Toyota Auris would have been €21330.

These were the new prices as quoted not sure how many options are on them but these we base models.

Hope it helps.

That low :eek:

Far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

€14K to €19K depending on spec, delivery and all other charges included in early 2008. I should know we contemplated buying one new :)

Then we stood back and said "We'll let someone else suffer the depreciation and buy it for peanuts in a few years" :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    €14K to €19K depending on spec, delivery and all other charges included in early 2008. I should know we contemplated buying one new :)
    If that is the case there would be a strong argument for a base Bravo over a base Auris :eek:

In england and in pounds yes. They were a bit more here

dgt wrote: »
    In england and in pounds yes. They were a bit more here

Trade price, 2008 was a funny year.

You'd vomit if you knew what fiat Ireland did to a load of zero mileage stilos and puntos a few years previously after they'd been sitting up for a few years.

If that is the case there would be a strong argument for a base Bravo over a base Auris :eek:

Now is the time to buy before the "Cheap newish car requires no maintainance" start to buy them up.

When the golf mk4 stopped producing in 04, there were damn all about. Now the local town is littered with them! Some in the crappiest conditions you can imagine...

Advertisement