Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GTi MK5 - Air conditioning gas problem

Options
  • 29-11-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a problem with my air conditioning unit (crazy whistling noise coming through the vents). Under warranty I brought it to the dealer where they "topped" up the gas as they detected it was low and said the noise "seemed" to go away.

The noise remained in the car, and tired of all the messing I brought it to an authorised VW dealer. The said the gas was at overfilled at 850 grams rather than the correct 550 grams. They drained it to 550 grams and the noise went away.

Does anyone know the kind of damage (if any) can be done to the AC components in the car if the gas is well overfilled? VW said the units are probably made to take only a certain amount of gas, and about +25 grams over the recommend amount is tolerable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Could be the compressor going. Same symptoms I've had on two cars right before it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jel

The compressor was the initial assessment by the dealer, although they tried the top up before going any further.

VW noticed the gas was overfilled, and that they'd need to try and bring it back to the recommended level before trying anything further. Noise has gone away, however not sure if it will come back and be the compressor as the root of the problem.

Head wrecking!!!

Advertisement