Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear defroster problem/bangernomics/advice needed clusterbuck thread

Options
  • 29-11-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Gents,

Need opinion on my whether to stick or twist with my bangernomics 01 corolla.

The rear defroster doesnt work (its been to auto electrician as well as my checks and it looks to be the entire grid thats done for). His recommendation is to replace the glass and has been priced an auto glazer he knows at 550 sterling. He knows i aint going for that (its 2/3 what the car was bought for). trying to source a second hand piece of glass or an entire boot door.

Would like to get this sorted and i know its not essential for MOT (as im what i believe you call a 'nordie'), but i can as easily get it through its test easily and then sell for probably more than i paid.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

Incidentally the car is otherwise 100% afaik with just over 66k miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can buy an aftermarket element, try thenclassic cars section. Bit crudebut it'd work.

So peel off/remove some how the existing screen painted element and then manually paint a new one on? not familiar with the exact process but i would have thought that would be a nightmare by hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

im what i believe you call a 'nordie'QUOTE]

Well in that case ....... :D

But seriously, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you saying you want to sell your car because the rear demister is broken. If that's the case then the answer is no. One of my bangernomics car that i'm driving at the moment has no thermostat, no fuel gauge( thats fun:p) , sometimes the ABS light flashes on, no radio and scratches everywhere. its a work in progress but there's not one reason there why I'd sell it just yet.

Still a no dont sell it from me then.

yeah i realise its a bit of an open ended statement rather than an exact question.

i could live with it, but after the winter we had last year, and liking a bit of visibility when it comes to parking its either sort it or sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can buy an aftermarket element, try thenclassic cars section. Bit crudebut it'd work.

Yep...I remember these were available when I was restoring VW air cooled Beetles back in the early 90's. They just stuck onto the rear screen like a sheet of window tint film,iirc. Alternatively,you could repair your own elements with a kit..eg. http://www.amazon.co.uk/SR-130-REAR-WINDOW-DEFOGGER-KIT/dp/B003O2CJKA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Advertisement