Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Great idea Redout. I'm really surprised that there aren't more Spanish football fans in Ireland considering you can travel to games in Spain for less than England.

sheep mentality.

anyway i think spanish premeira league has been poor this season and the title race is very boring. bundesliga is where its at this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

PHB wrote: »
    The money the crap teams in the EPL can throw about is massive compared to the amount that La Liga teams can spend

Agreed, they do get all the young South Americans though, the Garay's and Cacares' of this world are always likely to start off with the likes of Racing or Recreativo because it'd be easiest country to adapt to. So that's how they remain skilled teams. You only have to look at Athletic Bilbao though to see the difference between Spanish (or should I say Basques, before I get eaten :D) players and English. How good would a midtable team fair in the EPL if it was solely made up of English players only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    Agreed, they do get all the young South Americans though, the Garay's and Cacares' of this world are always likely to start off with the likes of Racing or Recreativo because it'd be easiest country to adapt to. So that's how they remain skilled teams. You only have to look at Athletic Bilbao though to see the difference between Spanish (or should I say Basques, before I get eaten :D) players and English. How good would a midtable team fair in the EPL if it was solely made up of English players only?

The whole work permit thing surely has an effect too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Would a team 5th from bottom have 50 million to spend on players at christmas thanks to tv monies? jaysus do barca have that?

Agree with PHB the tv deals in spain and italy are unfair to the lower teams, the EPL has the right idea "share the wealth".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

messi playing tonight? gf can go **** herself if he is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

messi playing tonight? gf can go **** herself if he is...

Mine supports Barca. Life's great aint it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

swapsies?

swapsies?

Can she cook ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Great idea Redout. I'm really surprised that there aren't more Spanish football fans in Ireland considering you can travel to games in Spain for less than England.

It's pretty hard to arrange trips to Spanish games as they don't confirm TV fixtures until a couple of weeks before, and it's impossible to do a day trip.

That said, I know loads of people who'd consider themselves followers of the league rather than of a specific team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Match thread for this weekend's La Liga games is here.

I've moved a couple of posts there and deleted some off topic stuff here. TRO, give us a shout if you want to discuss the matter further. Cheers.

Kobe loves Barca !

Messi watch your back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3866767

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Some transfer news....
    It has emerged that Barcelona rejected a bid for Martin Caceres from Olympiakos in the winter transfer window.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona/2009/02/08/1099185/report-barcelona-rejected-martin-caceres-bid-from-olympiakos
    Recent reports suggest that Barcelona are no longer interested in signing Karim Benzema from Olympique Lyonnais.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona/2009/02/08/1099177/barcelona-uninterested-in-karim-benzema-report
    Barcelona have their scouts trained upon two rising stars who are making waves at the South American Under-20 Championships.

According to Mercafutbol, the first name on their radar is Nicolas Lodeiro. The Uruguayan, who descends from Galicia, is already a regular in the Nacional first team. He is said to posses good vision, an eye for goal and a good physical condition.

The other name is Brazil's Walter da Silva, who is a centre-forward from Internacional's youth team. He has already made some appearances for the seniors, where he is expected to shine this season. He is the leading scorer of the tournament, and has impressed many with his physical presence.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona/2009/02/08/1099063/barcelona-eye-nicolas-lodeiro--walter-da-silva

Captain Carlos Puyol has pulled out of wednesday nights clash against England in Seville after suffering an injury against Sporting Gijon in tonights match which finished 3-0 to Barca.

redout wrote: »
    Captain Carlos Puyol has pulled out of wednesday nights clash against England in Seville after suffering an injury against Sporting Gijon in tonights match which finished 3-0 3-1 to Barca.

:)

Frisbee wrote: »
    :)

What was it again, 0-0 with Spurs? Where are you again? 5th? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Nice piece by Gabriele Marcotti about all the new records Guardiola's side are heading for this season

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/gabriele_marcotti/article5689479.ece

Sir Alex commenting on Barcelona.

However, when it comes to defending the title they won in Moscow last summer, Sir Alex sees FC Barcelona as his side's main competitors.

"Barcelona have got strength in depth as far as their squad is concerned and having a 12-point lead at this stage at the top of La Liga is quite a confirmation of their strength," he said. "I think Barcelona will be the biggest threat if Manchester United are to win the Champions league this season."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Lads,

We have done the stadium tour but I intend taking the kids over to the Nou Camp in the new season for a match so will be coming here for advice as I won't be going near a travel operator to be fleeced. I'm basing this on the assumption that by then it'll be easier to get tickets than at the CoMS and it'll probably be cheaper too. So any advice on accommodation, tickets, food etc. would be a great help to those of us not used to travelling outside the eircom League or EPL for our fix.

ps. Redout-apologies about earlier post questioning your colours, I'm only noticing now you too are posting in the Citeh site.

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Lads,

We have done the stadium tour but I intend taking the kids over to the Nou Camp in the new season for a match so will be coming here for advice as I won't be going near a travel operator to be fleeced. I'm basing this on the assumption that by then it'll be easier to get tickets than at the CoMS and it'll probably be cheaper too. So any advice on accommodation, tickets, food etc. would be a great help to those of us not used to travelling outside the eircom League or EPL for our fix.

ps. Redout-apologies about earlier post questioning your colours, I'm only noticing now you too are posting in the Citeh site.

The stadium is getting redeveloped if my memory serves me. Not sure if its starting this summer or not but I am sure eZe will know the answer to that. Here is a pic of the new design. I cant say I am an admirer of it to be honest so best get there before work starts.

[IMG][/img]camp_nou_fosters_oct07_1.jpg

For tickets check out http://www.servicaixa.com/nws/jsp/session.jsp;jsessionid=JQFQLpnBSvMy1t3hJCh5Yr29TpQX8QJ3JfmQMvmFDJWF1hp5vQG7!1211638816!-160111044?control=serviticket.sis.servlets.hSrvRecinte&codTipusEvent=3&codPoblacio=5&codRecinte=5100&idioma=CAS&CODIUSU=servicaixa&loce=cas-sbhmdeporte-areaequipo-ar2-1-LinkExterno they are official ticket agents and I have used them on over a dozen occasions. Just present your cc and ID at the ticket office before kick-off or else use one of the automated machines. If its not Espanyol, Real Madrid or a big European team then the stadium will not be sold out and you can buy on the day. Just remember that the bigger the opposition the bigger the ticket prices and these prices can be very expensive. Plane tickets are cheap if you book in advance, Aer Lingus and Iberia fly direct between Dublin and Barcelona as do some other Spanish airlines. Check Spanair, Air Europa, Vueling and Clickair to see.

Food and accom I dont know. If your renting and cooking your own food then the likes of Mercadona and Al Campo are decent cheap supermarkets. They have Aldi and Lidl also. If you like the more expensive then El Corte Ingles is your store. Think of it like a big Brown Thomas with some having their own supermarkets or else seperate Hipercor.

To finish off I have some bad news for you brother. I am a United supporter who just so happens to live in Madrid. Its the gf who is the Barcelona supporter so I end up watching and going to the games. I dont really mind as Barca are a joy to watch and if one has to watch another team then who better than Xavi, Eto'o, Messi and co. right ! I do have a soft spot for La Blaugrana and I dispise Real Madrid so its kind of a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing. Its highly odd but I have watched as many Barca games as United over the past three years barring when they clash ! The lads on here will be able to sort you out with more info I am sure as someone is usually at a game at least every month or so. eZe is the Barca man for all your Q's.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on February 2, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Ibisevic---Hoffenheim

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

Two Barcelona players riding high in the race for the European Golden shoe 2008/2009. Cristiano Ronaldo was last seasons winner edging Dani Güiza finishing with 31 goals and 62 pts. We have the potential to have a non-striker winning the award for the second season running which is a feat never before seen.

Update

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on February 9, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Ibisevic---Hoffenheim

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

A Samuel Eto'o brace at the weekend has closed the gap at the top from seven down to three for the Golden Shoe after this past weekends round of games.

Sammy Eto'o bagged a brace last night as Cameroon beat Guinea 3-1 and elsewhere Leo Messi scored as Argentina beat France 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Some good info on the travel tips there lads... I'd love to head over to see them play at some stage. I've always wanted to go to a Barca game!

I've been following Barca since Lineker left Everton, but obviously have got to see more live games since Sky starting showing them.

The stadium plans have been put on hold Redout, they can't justify the price for something that will purely be aesthetic. And I actually think it'd be better to upgrade the facilities and seating instead of going mental with all this new age trendy architecture stuff. And considering the current economic climate it's hardly a priority.

The thing about traveling to Barna is that you should make your trip for an entire weekend, as the LFP are known to change fixture dates up to 10 days before the schedule, so Sunday matches are sometimes reverted to Saturday and vice versa. So if you want to be guaranteed to see them play, either book early for an entire weekend, or book a week before for the day of the confirmed game. Also, if you know a soci you can buy tickets for any game online if you use his number, otherwise you can only buy tickets 10 (or maybe its 14) days before the scheduled game.

Awesome international week for Barca players. Iniesta, Xavi, and Pique all playing influential parts in the demolition of England, Messi scoring a brilliant goal and being the motm for Argentina against France (who said he can't cut it at international level), and Eto'o dominating as usual for the Cameroonians. Alves came on for Brazil, and despite being played in midfield I thought he was excellent, and Cafu named him as his replacement, great compliment to receive from a true legend, lets hope Alves can dispel Maicon from the national team (cos imo he's better). It's a pretty awesome time to be a Barca fan, and with Milito/ Puyol coming back from injury we have some great defensive squad depth, Pique, Puyol, Marquez, Milito, Sylvinho, Alves, Abidal, Victor Sanchez, and Cacares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Question for you guys about some of the transfer rumours flying around - why would Barca be thinking of Etoo's replacement rather than trying to sign him up to a new contract?

They stuck with him for two poor-ish seasons, tried to ship him out during the summer but couldn't manage it and now he's back to his absolute best again and they're talking about replacing him - just doesn't make sense to me... he's an absolute nightmare for defenders, seems to have his attitude/ego back on track compared to the Rijkaard days and is only 27!

What was it again, 0-0 with Spurs? Where are you again? 5th? :p

I was just correcting the result. Wasn't trying to be smart. Only reason i put the smiley in was because I had to say something...

I am going to the Atletico Madrid v Barcelona game on the 1st of March lads. Bought the tickets on wednesday morning. I went to the same fixture last season and it was a belter of a game wth Atletico winning 4-2 and Ronaldinho scoring an overhead kick which I think was his last ever goal for Barca (eZe ?). A double from Kun Aguero who was on fire, Forlan and Maxi Rodriguez and also an Eto'o goal. Cant wait for this as the amount of talent thats going to be on show is truly exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Isn't The Athleti Vs Barca the highhest scoring game in Europe averged over the last 10-15 years? It is regularly a belter. You are spoiled in Madrid redout.

gimmick wrote: »
    Isn't The Athleti Vs Barca the highhest scoring game in Europe averged over the last 10-15 years? It is regularly a belter. You are spoiled in Madrid redout.

I am indeed brother. Getafe are playing Barcelona in Madrid about 3 weeks after the Atletico game so I am going to try get tickets for that one also although should be more difficult as Getafe ground is only 16,000 but oddly enough it was not sold out for the game with Real Madrid in november when I went and thats odd considering its a Madrid derby.

• Advertisement

Realistically we will be trying our best to hold on to Eto'o next year, but if he wants to try another challenge in another country then we can't stand in his way, especially considering how he treated the club and how the club treated him at times. However I really hope he stays, because the one thing that you can't question with Eto'o is his commitment and passion.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I was just correcting the result. Wasn't trying to be smart. Only reason i put the smiley in was because I had to say something...

My bad.
    gimmick wrote: »

There's always millions of goals in it anyway. This was the best ever game of football I ever saw.

Advertisement