Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spray painting Tractol enamel paint

• 27-05-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I bought a camper van last year that need a respray. I could not afford car paint and bought Tractol paint and rolled it on. I then sanded it flat and tried to spray it but it would not come out of the sprayer. I thinned the paint out with white spirits but I still could not spray it. What am I doing wrong am I using too small of a nozzle size.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Tractol paint needs special thinners, white spirit won't do the job. It's a xylene thinner. If mixed right it sprays quite well. I've used it for a few tractor restoration jobs with good results.

As a matter of interest, how expensive is auto paint? Surely can't be that much more than tractor enamel..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Greenmotors

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Tractol paint needs special thinners, white spirit won't do the job. It's a xylene thinner. If mixed right it sprays quite well. I've used it for a few tractor restoration jobs with good results.

As a matter of interest, how expensive is auto paint? Surely can't be that much more than tractor enamel..

Thanks for the reply Trailerbob. Just to clarify white spirits is xylene or I should use xylene? Car paint was working out about twice the price of Tractol. Can I ask the percentage of thinner you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

what type of spray gun are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Xylene thinners is different to white spirit. Tractol is a synthetic enamel, and needs the synthetic xylene thinner. You can buy it in the same place you get the tractol paint. It only requires about 5% in the paint for spraying.. too much and runs will be common. I spray it with a standard gravity feed spray gun and a 100l compressor.

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Xylene thinners is different to white spirit. Tractol is a synthetic enamel, and needs the synthetic xylene thinner. You can buy it in the same place you get the tractol paint. It only requires about 5% in the paint for spraying.. too much and runs will be common. I spray it with a standard gravity feed spray gun and a 100l compressor.

Thanks for the help. I have a 200l compresser with a lidl hvlp gravity fed gun and a few older ones. All I needed now is some skill :.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Thanks for the help. I have a 200l compresser with a lidl hvlp gravity fed gun and a few older ones. All I needed now is some skill :.)

If its one of the electric ones from aldi/lidl your wasting your time.

There only meant for spraying decking stain and fence life.

If its one of the electric ones from aldi/lidl your wasting your time.

There only meant for spraying decking stain and fence life.

No its a proper spray gun to connect to compressed air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

No its a proper spray gun to connect to compressed air.

Have one myself.. they are OK for the price of them. Ideal for primer.

Advertisement