Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on how to re-learn

Options
  • 23-08-2014 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to go about re-learning Irish. I'm 6 years out of secondary school now and have barely thought about Irish since I left. However, I'm currently contemplating doing the primary teaching post-grad. My main problem though is that I just don't have the Irish I'll need to pass the interview to even get in! I have another year in my current college course to complete but was thinking about doing bits of Irish in my spare time so that I can keep my options more open if I do decide to go for the primary teaching post-grad.

So where I'm at right now. I got an A1 in Higher Level Irish in the LC so I did have the knowledge at one point! However, as I say, I've done next to nothing with the language since then. Speaking is obviously what I need to focus on for applying for the post-grad but unfortunately speaking has always been my weaker point when it comes to languages. I can still comprehend a decent amount of Irish but have major problems with formulating any sentences of my own. With all that in mind can anyone recommend how I might go about re-learning? I'm just not even sure where to start! I was thinking of maybe doing some reading first to get some grammar and vocab back in my head and then maybe progressing to speaking practice? Any text/resource recommendations?

Appreciate any advice at all, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Konata wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to go about re-learning Irish. I'm 6 years out of secondary school now and have barely thought about Irish since I left. However, I'm currently contemplating doing the primary teaching post-grad. My main problem though is that I just don't have the Irish I'll need to pass the interview to even get in! I have another year in my current college course to complete but was thinking about doing bits of Irish in my spare time so that I can keep my options more open if I do decide to go for the primary teaching post-grad.

So where I'm at right now. I got an A1 in Higher Level Irish in the LC so I did have the knowledge at one point! However, as I say, I've done next to nothing with the language since then. Speaking is obviously what I need to focus on for applying for the post-grad but unfortunately speaking has always been my weaker point when it comes to languages. I can still comprehend a decent amount of Irish but have major problems with formulating any sentences of my own. With all that in mind can anyone recommend how I might go about re-learning? I'm just not even sure where to start! I was thinking of maybe doing some reading first to get some grammar and vocab back in my head and then maybe progressing to speaking practice? Any text/resource recommendations?

Well, assuming you got your A1 through knowing the stuff and not by learning stuff off by heart, you will have no difficulty.

I'd suggest you start by joining a conversation group to get yourself into the habit of speaking (i.e. forming sentences). If you're in Dublin, I think there is a fortnightly discussion group, I'm not sure but they might meet in Cafe Fix, I'm sure you'll find them on line. Or see if there is a conversation group in your nearest library.

Get the book Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail, and work through it and the CDs/DVD for the more grammatical stuff.
    Listen to Raidio na Gaeltachta for aural.

Go n-éirí leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

What college are u in. NUIG have a good evening course in irish for students. I'm sure most colleges do. I would imagine you would have a good base so just a refresher course and you'll get your vocab back and become comfortable in conversing in irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

gufc21 wrote: »
    What college are u in. NUIG have a good evening course in irish for students. I'm sure most colleges do. I would imagine you would have a good base so just a refresher course and you'll get your vocab back and become comfortable in conversing in irish

Ilac library used to have conversation group once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I can do some conversation practice with you if you're in dublin....Secondary teacher for 25yrs, I have worked with many people who wish to be Primary teachers. PM me if interested. thanks...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You could have just asked me in the shopping centre on Friday! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 happinessfr

I came across a great website online which is absolutely visually appealing and probably of interest.

thisisirish.ie

Check it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hello!

I did not do well in Irish in the LC 15 years ago, now I have just started using duolingo which is fantastic, its probably a bit basic for you though

lufties wrote: »
    I did not do well in Irish in the LC 15 years ago, now I have just started using duolingo which is fantastic, its probably a bit basic for you though

Duolingo's not so basic once you go up a few levels. I got an A1 in HL Irish in my Leaving Cert too (back in 2007) and am doing the Duolingo course at the moment, and it's amazing how much basic Irish I'd forgotten...and how much I didn't know in the first place!

So yeah, the Duolingo course is a quick, easy and fun way to get back to basic stuff. It won't teach you much new vocabulary but it's good refresher course for grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Have just started a 'Professional Irish' course in work. Nervous about starting it, just like being back in school but figured i wanted to get back speaking Irish, or at least didn't want it to go over the years.

I think the people are from http://ranganna.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Listening to RnaG while driving (or Splanc on newstalk) is always good, amazing how words come back to you when ye hear them. I would say the same about watching the Nuacht at 7pm (preceed by the weather) on TG4 everynight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've come across as well Duolingo for Irish and started off re-learning on this. It is a very interesting and modern way to remember all the old lessons. Hopefully my next post on this forum will have a cupla focail more than this post.

Advertisement